Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
speedemn
2nd Gear Member

2003 540i/6 10.4L/100km is what my meters both right now and I have not reset them in about 20K kms.

Mostly highway driving with cruise control set at 148 km/h ... otherwise pretty much sitting in the fast lane going the speed of the flow of traffic (rush our in West-end Mississauga)

During the weekends I run errands around town with the car. I typically get about 600 kms on a 65L fill of Ultra 94 if I let it run pretty low. The range is under 700 kms. generally.
speedemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #17
europrince
6th Gear Member

^ bro, you spend money on Ultra 94? I get your mileage with 89 octane, what the gas cap and owner's manual state.

actually, recently i've been using 91 octane ever since esso has been selling it for the same price as their 89. the mileage is the same
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #18
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
wtf really? Spirited driving I get like 15/100km.
Yea that what u get when u dont run spacers.

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #19
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince
^ bro, you spend money on Ultra 94? I get your mileage with 89 octane, what the gas cap and owner's manual state.
What year is your car? In the 2001 BMW owner's manual, it says min 91 octane AKI.
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #20
speedemn
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince

actually, recently i've been using 91 octane ever since esso has been selling it for the same price as their 89. the mileage is the same
To tell you the truth I never tried 89 or 91 Octane. I did compare 87 Octane to 94 Octane and I got about 8% better mileage with 94... which justified the approximately 11% higher price of 94 over 87 at that time.

Maybe you take it easy on your car; cruise at 120-130? I couldn't imagine that 89 would be that far off 87 and so close to 94.
speedemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #21
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

Yesterday, on my way back from Sauble Beach, I set the cruise at 90 KPH, and the fuel computer settled to a low of 7.1 l/100Km or 33 MPG (US gal).
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #22
Vicman17
1st Gear Newbie

Contrary to popular belief, higher octane fuel does not "clean" your engine. It does not mean that lower octane fuels leave your engine dirty. Higher octane gas just means your engine is less prone to 'pinging'. It has something to do with the rated compression of your engine. If your engine doesn't ping then that measn the engine is OK with regular even though it wasn't designed for it. You're better off adding a bottle of cheap, good fuel injector cleaner every few thousand Ks. I even heard that Sunoco 94 which contains ethanol makes the mileage suffer. Good reading here.

Modern engines have advanced knock sensors that adjust the timing according to the octane level of your fuel. The warnings "Premium Fuel Only" pertains to the manufacturer's suggestion of the minimum octane level that your particular model should use according to compression ratings. Using a lower octane level may mean that your engine won't produce the same power rating as indicated in your manual. But remember that if your car recommends Premium gas and you just fill up with regular, if there ever was a problem and a warranty issue needs to be addressed, the dealer may turn around and blame your use of a non-recommended fuel grade (among other things that they can blame you for, in order not to honor the warranty).

I noticed recently that Esso (Imperial Oil) does NOT carry 89 Octane (Mid Grade) fuels anymore. Esso stations only carry Regular (87) and Premium (91) and their Mid grade pumps are used for Premium (the prices are the same) but Esso Premium is only 5 cents more than their Regular. Petro-Can which still sell 89 Octane Mid-Grade still have a 10 to 12 Cent difference from Regular to Premium. I always use Shell (I get better mileage) and in dire circumstances, Esso, but I stay away from Sunoco and Petro-Can.
BMW AG Sport Package

Last edited by Vicman17; 08-29-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Vicman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #23
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_VQ View Post
What year is your car? In the 2001 BMW owner's manual, it says min 91 octane AKI.
its a 1997
Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #24
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn View Post
To tell you the truth I never tried 89 or 91 Octane. I did compare 87 Octane to 94 Octane and I got about 8% better mileage with 94... which justified the approximately 11% higher price of 94 over 87 at that time.

Maybe you take it easy on your car; cruise at 120-130? I couldn't imagine that 89 would be that far off 87 and so close to 94.
No, I generally do 140ish on the highway. About 70% of my driving is highway. Aside from rush hour traffic, I take it easy in the city.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #25
Old_School
2nd Gear Member

I run 93 AKI in my '86 M5 and get about 16L/100km, but that's just a SWAG as I don't have a computer or fancy gadget in the tach that tells me what my mileage is

My car needs 93 - 10.5:1 CR. It's supposed to run (per the manual) on 98 RON. The early motronic doesn't compensate for lower octane, and I don't want holes in my pistons or cylinders when a rebuild is in excess of $10k. There's a W.O. Stinson station near me that has 93 for the price of 91 at other stations, and it's not E10 (they also have 110, if anyone is interested in avgas for their auto).

+1 to Vicman for pointing out that using octane higher than what your engine needs is just wasting money. However, even if you have a modern car that retards the spark automatically to avoid knock, you will get a noticable difference in gas mileage if you run recommended, and not lower. It's up to you to calculate if the price difference makes it worth your while.
Old_School is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: