Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > Group Buys/Specials/What's New?
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #46
Seven
Gimme The Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSanj
can i be added to the groupbuy?? hehehe
funny ... ...
Old 05-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #47
dbworld4k
Addict

%&#! I can't get the ****ers to snap in!! Is there any way to remove the glass panel on the E36 cluster?

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #48
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

I had a bit of trouble, and was wondering if I should take the glass off.

However, you can install them with the glass on. Coming from the back, I was able to push the rings through on a angle, and then snap them in place.

Guage Rings Install - E36

I should have taken some pictures, because I didn't find any DIY pics about poping the Rings in place; just remving the cluster.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #49
dbworld4k
Addict

That's the thing, mine wouldn't snap into place at all :S

They seemed to be just a hair too large and would NOT pop in no matter what I did: using two people, zzip ties, and whatnot. I'm starting to think my set is defective.

Past:
Old 05-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #50
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Mine is a e46, and it snapped in very easily. It seems like the e46 and e36 clusters are very similar. Perhaps the rings are universal, and some shaving may be required.

I did read somewhere that you may need to shave the cluster plastic slightly.

Bimmian Install Instructions

The Tools List includes a Utility Knife. So, you may need to use it.

See step #6: With the gauge panel set aside. "Dry-fit" each ring into the front of the gauge pod to insure a proper fit. If necessary use a utility knife and/or sandpaper to remove any excess material to get the proper fit.

Little is more, so if you're going to go about this, take little steps in standing/scraping with the knife so you don't damge the guage cluster plastic.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #51
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I'm surprised you're having trouble... I have an E36 here and they went in super easy. I was actually impressed at how perfectly they fit. Can you get any of them into place? I find it hard to believe all 4 rings are defective. Maybe you got a set for the wrong style of car????

Anyway, just keep persisting. Eventually you'll get them in there, or rip your cluster apart trying. In which case you wont need the rings anyway... Maybe call Bimmian on Tuesday.

Big thanks to Hound and Seven for carrying out this GB.

Last edited by 98Dinan3; 05-19-2007 at 11:11 PM.
98Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #52
dbworld4k
Addict

I really don't want to start messing with the cluster by trimming anything. The rings simply will not fit, it is evident they are too large for the opening. After about two hours I managed to snag one in there with the aid of zip ties, but it popped out a few seconds later at the slightest touch of the cluster. Clearly there's no way I could get them all in if they keep popping out so easily. Something is definetley up

My fingers are still sore from all those attempts at cramming them in there. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong here.

Past:
Old 05-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #53
VSanj
6th Gear Member

^^god hates you homie!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #54
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k
I really don't want to start messing with the cluster by trimming anything. The rings simply will not fit, it is evident they are too large for the opening. After about two hours I managed to snag one in there with the aid of zip ties, but it popped out a few seconds later at the slightest touch of the cluster. Clearly there's no way I could get them all in if they keep popping out so easily. Something is definetley up

My fingers are still sore from all those attempts at cramming them in there. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong here.
damn, sorry to hear this man, for sure send an email off to Jeremy @ Bimmian and let him know this, he is on holiday's till tuesday and will be back in the office then. If I can be of any help just let me know.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #55
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k

Could you measure the overall diamter of the rings (from the back). Perhaps you got the e34 rather than the e36/e46 rings.

Perhaps someone who hasn't installed their rings yet could measure the diameter (e36/e46) and post it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #56
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
on a side note I installed my rings yesterday and man do they look great! I can't stop looking at them

thanks for your hard work and diligance (spl?) on the group buy Ben mine except for one went in super easy, and the hard or I just molded it to the shape it needed to be by slightly bending it.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #57
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

thanks for getting on G/B on the last minute too,I will put them in this week too....again thanks to BEN and SEAN....cheers...
Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #58
cybalan
1st Gear Newbie

Yup, thanks for arranging the group buy - awesome.

I installed mine yesterday and they look great. One of the small rings was hard to get in and I think there might be slight differences in size cause the other small ring fit in perfect. I ended up 'molding' the ring a bit to make it fit.

Thanks again. it looks great.
cybalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 PM   #59
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

i finally managed to put mine in, but it was ****in hard...from first ring to the last!! Now i have all kind of cuts and bruises on my fingers, trying to fit in those lil ****s in place. I'm really happy with the outcome tho

Last edited by AceOfSpades; 05-21-2007 at 11:52 PM.
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #60
Seven
Gimme The Keys

Wow, it's awesome to see everyone putting their products to use so quick. I still haven't put my rings in, although I have an excuse, my weekend was pretty packed and included other car maintenance related tasks.

No problem about putting the GB together, the forum made it pretty easy ... Sean deserves a big thank you for doing the actual drive out to bimmian and distributing the products.

dbworld: for sure contact bimmian if you're still having problems. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Start posting some pics of your spiced up interior!

See y'all soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: