Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

supercharger question

i bought a used ERT supecharger kit for my 97 m3 had it installed last night, pluged the computer in the car wont start, take that one out plug my original computer car starts. Drove the car around last night and every time i throttle it and than come to a stop sign car will shuts off.
what i wanted to ask is if anybody knows anybody that can program the OBD2 m3 computers for this settup??
thanks
blk325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
SickFinga

with another ECU, does your engine turn over when you try to start it?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

yup it starts
Old 11-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk325i View Post
yup it starts
I mean does engine turn over with ECU that came with the kit?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk325i View Post
i bought a used ERT supecharger kit for my 97 m3 had it installed last night, pluged the computer in the car wont start, take that one out plug my original computer car starts. Drove the car around last night and every time i throttle it and than come to a stop sign car will shuts off.
what i wanted to ask is if anybody knows anybody that can program the OBD2 m3 computers for this settup??
thanks

You shouldn't be boosting a car with the stock ECU... the timing and fuel maps need to be adjusted. Did the other ECU (or the S/C) come with different injectors? It might be that the injector pulsewidth on the ECU that came with the S/C is too small for your original injectors resulting in the car not getting enough fuel to start. Either that or the ECU is dead/bad.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #6
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
You shouldn't be boosting a car with the stock ECU... the timing and fuel maps need to be adjusted. .
for the sake of a 'perfect tune' i'll agree...
but i've been driving my boosted car on its stock ecu (and others) for 2years.
it seems to adapt ok up till 12lbs. so a stage 1 sc should be ok.. but not 'perfect'

what no1 should do is drive a boosted car without extra fueling and a A/F & boost gauges
Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
jeffrie
Addict

^^^ I agree, been driving with 8 PSI and stock ECU managment for over a year with no issues @ all, fuel milage has bearly even suffered.
I'd put stock ECU back in and let it compensate.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

the car doesn't start with the ecu that i got with the kit, which i found that i have to do EWS align which i did yestarday and the car starts with the ECU that came with the kit after EWS, but on the way home the engine light came on and the car wont stay running at idle, if i drive it normally the car will run but soon as i step on it and come to the stop the car will die on me, but if i drive it normally the car will stay running at like 500-600 rpm. i didn't get no bigger injectors with the kit but i got rasing fuel pressure regulator with it. i think the car is running to rich and thats why i keeps shuting off on me when i punch it i'll hook up a fuel gauge to it tonight to see what it is running at.
So is it true that i can run a system on the stock ecu or i have to get it tuned. the kit was only suppostu be 6-6.5 psi??
thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
SickFinga

Sounds like you got a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

i will bring the car in the shop tonight to check for vacum leaks and to check fuel pressure. What fuel pressure should be at?? It's a 97 m3 with ERT powerdyne supecharger. stock injectors and with rasing fuel pressure regulator.
thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
SickFinga

Well, stock fuel pressure on your car is at 3.5 bar.

With your setup you should be running about 30lbs@3.5 injectors.
Right now you have 21.5lbs

You really should get injectors, they are not that expensive.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

thanks man i'm going to check that out tonight and i found a guy that has a scan tool for bimmers so i'll check the engine light too to see what its saying
Old 11-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

can i run a stock pressure regulator and the one that i got with the kit at the same time?? i checked fuel pressure and the one that i got with the kit doesn't do anything
Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #14
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
for the sake of a 'perfect tune' i'll agree...
but i've been driving my boosted car on its stock ecu (and others) for 2years.
it seems to adapt ok up till 12lbs. so a stage 1 sc should be ok.. but not 'perfect'

what no1 should do is drive a boosted car without extra fueling and a A/F & boost gauges
I don't like to rely on knock sensors to have to pull back the timing because of detonation. Especially since knock sensors aren't all that good in detecting knock at high RPM. Also, stage 1 S/C kit's are usually non intercooled, where IMO it's even worse not to have a proper chip as FI = higher intake temps which means you're more prone to detonation again.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work... but the absolute most I'd boost is 6psi on a stock ECU/motor combo. But that's just me.

As for extra fueling, how will you get that with a stock ECU? The only way would be an FMU/RRFPR, which again would work but not the most efficient way to get power out of your setup.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie View Post
^^^ I agree, been driving with 8 PSI and stock ECU managment for over a year with no issues @ all, fuel milage has bearly even suffered.
I'd put stock ECU back in and let it compensate.
I just stumbled onto this threat over at BF:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=870693

kinda answers most of the questions here, and tells you exactly why you shouldn't be putting boost on a stock ECU'd car.

What have you done for fueling btw?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: