Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
e30jones
3rd Gear Member

Invest in a can of POR15. In order to remove the rust underneath the undercoating, (assuming the metal is still good) you'll have to remove the undercoating, remove the rust with a grinder/ wire wheel if possible, clean it, and then apply POR15. After its dry, re apply undercoating.

Do you mean its rusted through the frame section that runs underneath the floor? That is a structural part of the body (correct me if I'm wrong) so if its rusted through enough the body will have lost quite a bit of support. Don't know if you can get that cut out and replaced or not??

I'd suggest removing all of the tar sections from the passenger compartment before you start. It has a tendency to hold completely rusted out floors together, giving them the impression of being ok. (plus they seem to hold water quite well)

Good luck, I've been in your situation before, I know how much it sucks.
e30jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
static
6th Gear Member

shit man, that looks pretty bad. Not to put you down, but i am not even sure if it's worth the trouble at this point. I mean if it would be just the floorpan, it'd be half the trouble, but if it spread to structural supports....

I say part it out and get a rustless one from West end or southern states.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by static
shit man, that looks pretty bad. Not to put you down, but i am not even sure if it's worth the trouble at this point. I mean if it would be just the floorpan, it'd be half the trouble, but if it spread to structural supports....

I say part it out and get a rustless one from West end or southern states.
There is no way that I can make my money back though. The engines strong but I dont think I'll get more then 200 for it. what else can I part out. If I can make 800 from parting it then I'll do it. Hell even 700. The front seats are heated clothe, but not worth selling because they're ripped to shit. Give me some tips on what I can part.
Its going to be alot to get it sandblasted and welded.
E30 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #19
WillieE30
2nd Gear Member

Hey E30.....Surely you know someone (mechanic or autobody person) who could have a quick look at your situation. Your problems may not be that serious, as in restoration work floor panels are frequently replaced. How is the rest of the car?....Is there any perforation in the trunk etc?....I would try to obtain a professional opinion and base your actions on their opinion. You might be lucky and caught the damage at the right time. If it takes a few hundred to replace the floor so be it. Right now you know what you have and what needs to be done. The next E30 may be just as bad...just my opinion man....Goodluck
Bill
WillieE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #20
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieE30
Hey E30.....Surely you know someone (mechanic or autobody person) who could have a quick look at your situation. Your problems may not be that serious, as in restoration work floor panels are frequently replaced. How is the rest of the car?....Is there any perforation in the trunk etc?....I would try to obtain a professional opinion and base your actions on their opinion. You might be lucky and caught the damage at the right time. If it takes a few hundred to replace the floor so be it. Right now you know what you have and what needs to be done. The next E30 may be just as bad...just my opinion man....Goodluck
Bill
Thanks Bill. I went out and did that right after I posted today. Its not going to be that bad. I have a guy helping me and its going to be under 200. Oh and the trunk is fine. Thanks man

L8er Ty
E30 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: