Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
ColdAccord
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to ColdAccord
A few e32 Q's

My fuel gauge is kinda flaky. The range is too. are they both run off the sending unit in tank w/the pump? (i know the guage is im wondering about the range).

Also, my avg mpg is usually around 13mpg. that can't be right. could my possibly bad fuel level sending unit be a cause of this? what kind of gas mileage do others get? (I have a 735il)

lastly, is ther ea one touch function for the sunroof?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Seven
Gimme The Keys

Others on this forum can probably help you more. But I believe the range is just an "educated guess" based on the amount of fuel remaining and the average mpg stored in your OBC. So, it would make sense that if your fuel gauge is acting up, that your range calculation would be off as well. I would say that a faulty sender could cause the symptoms you are seeing. What year is your e32, and what type of driving do you do normally? According to fueleconomy.gov, 13mpg is to be expected for city driving on some e32s.

I don't know if all e32s were equiped with a one touch sunroof feature, but I know that at least some were. It should work with the normal sunroof button, just tap quickly backwards and let go to open, and tap forward to close.

I hope that helps!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
ColdAccord
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to ColdAccord
yea i probably need a new sunroof switch. it worked once (how i discovered it had one touch) but not again.

i drive a 735il, and im pretty easy on it. i always keep it in economy mode and never get on it, ever. i just cruise and go slow. my 5 sp e30 is for hauling ass
Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
highway if I just go at about 110 to 115 I can easily see just shy of 770km on a tank, if I really try I could get ~800km.

the range to the best of my knowlege is taken from the gas that you have left, the consumption that you are at (what I do is when I get on the hwy I reset the cons. 1 and cons. 2 and watch the km go up as I drive along ) city I use about 60L per week going to and from work, the gym and the odd outing after work.

It seems to me (with my extremely limited mechanical knowlege) that the sender might be buggered up.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
MANDD
Autobahn East

E32

The fuel range is estimated based on your driving style, it is calculated by using the load factor, road speed and remaing fuel.

Failure of the fuel sending units are very common, the wiper (potentiometer) on the sending unit will typically fail (carbon tracking) causing an erratic fuel reading.

The sunroof is one touch operation on the E32.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
V12
2nd Gear Member

On my 93 E32 740iL, the sunroof is a one touch open and close. My average is 16.5mpg or 14.2L/100km over the last winter with mixed driving.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
V12
2nd Gear Member

On my 93 E32 740iL, the sunroof is a one touch open and close. My average is 16.5mpg or 14.2L/100km over the last winter with mixed driving.
Try to find out how many miles you driver per tank. drive till the yellow low light comes on, fill 5 gallons immediately, zero the trip counter and reset OBC CONS 1, wait till yellow light comes up again, then take the number of miles and divide by 5.
Compare to your OBC CONS 1. IF you pump is flaky then CONS1 is useless
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Hound
V-Dub in da House

My driver's side window is one touch up and down, why is it that the others aren't? did they only have drivers side and sunroof in 88?

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
R2dmax
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound
My driver's side window is one touch up and down, why is it that the others aren't? did they only have drivers side and sunroof in 88?
Yes. Mine is driver only and sunroof too.

As for the fuel economy, mine gets about 17.2 avg mpg w/ mixed driving. I need a tune up, so I am sure I can do better.
R2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Hound
V-Dub in da House

you know what I just noticed the other day, was that when the back drivers side window is near the top of the track, if I tap the button as if it were one touch, it will go up on it's own maybe they are all one touch but something is fugged up?

96 Harliquin Golf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: