Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Axel1
2nd Gear Member

Optimum tire width for E36?

I just bought a '92 325i and I need to buy new wheels and tires for it (came with winter tires on the OEM wheels so I'll leave that as is for winter and get summer wheels and tires).

My question is this, based on your experiences, what is the optimum tire width for the E36 for a 17 inch wheel (I decided to go with 17s)?

Options are:

- 225/45R17
- 235/40R17 (rarer size so less tires available)
- 245/40R17

All three are within the acceptable 2% margin of error so I'm just wondering if there's a sweet spot for the E36 (e.g. maybe wider isn't better for the car's handling dynamics or maybe it is).

P.S. I also decided to stay non-staggered (i.e. same size all around).

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Axel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I'd go for 225/45/17, they're generally more available like you said, and usually cheaper. Although, as you said, all the tire sizes you picked would work, 245/40/17 could rub up front if you're really low.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
europrince
6th Gear Member

OEM size is usually best, no?
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince
OEM size is usually best, no?
OEM ratio is best.

Different width and tirewall combinations might closely match the OEM diameter, which is what the OP is asking for. What kind of combos he can run.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I have no personal experience, but have repeatedly seen experienced E36 drivers who have tried multiple setups say 235/40/17 is the perfect balance between lateral grip and tramlining. Plus it's slightly shorter, which shortens gearing (even if only fractionally).

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

235/40/17's is a VERY common size for high performance summers, so don't base your decision on non-existent rarity.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Axel1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys.

I was leaning towards 235s. The rarity aspect doesn't bother so much. It's just that I'll have less tire options to choose from as opposed to 225 and 245. I'm not lowered at all and don't envision lowering anytime soon which is why the 245 is still an option re. the rubbing at the front. As I just bought the car, I think I'm going to drive it around for a while prior to making any considerable changes both for financial reasons and to get a better idea of what I feel needs changing. Then again, since it is an old car, those decisions might be made for me in the future (i.e. if the shocks or springs end up needing replacing down the line, I might make the upgrade then). We'll see...

Right, now, I'm looking at wheels and tires and probably the Conforti chip.

But first I need to get it completely looked over to see if anything needs replacing, then I need to run a benchmark dyno in stock form, then the chip, then another dyno to document the changes and then we'll see where I'm at
Axel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I like your style. No homo.

But, take a good hard look at MarkD chips (search this forum for a plethora of info). He's local, and many prefer his products to JimC. It's also a lot cheaper.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
235/40/17 is a great size for the e36 chassis and is a stock size as well (check your door jamb sticker). They're no where near rare.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: