Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

Theres always something

Hey, I recently bought a 1989 325i. I have been finding small things wrong with it, but nothing I cant fix myself. Now I need some help. I was just able to wash it the other day and today when I pulled the carpet up on the passenger side to run some wires, I found a rather large hole and dent. The car was lowered by the previous owner and because of the large amount of mud on the car before I couldn't see the dents on the underboby. I'm guessing that whoever drove the car before wasn't very good with depth perception. They bottomed out pretty hard. The damage is right behind the front right wheel in the passenger foot area. The hole is rather large and needs to be fixed. I was just wondering if I could get a few tips on how to fix it.

Thanks.

Last edited by E30 4 ME; 04-30-2007 at 06:59 PM.
E30 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

hmm

Should I fibreglass or square it up it with the torch and re-weld. Is there going to be a difference in leackage and further rust either way? Which ones better?

Thanks.

Last edited by E30 4 ME; 04-30-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
static
6th Gear Member

if hole isn't too big, fiberglass it. Thats what i did to those round holes in the floor as the plugs on them rusted away, worked out great.
Do treat the exposed rotten metal around the hole with some rust paint though (i use por15)
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

The hole is about the size if my fist. I could fiberglass it because I know that that spot isn't load baring so I could just put a load of layers on it. If I dont have to weld then I wont. Because I really dont want to remove the entire piece of carpeting from that side. Oh, and I'll have to fill those plugs with fiberglass like you did. (do you know what they're for?) Its a big help though. Thanks.

L8er Ty
Old 05-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
qimis
Mr. Euro E30

Did it look like this?

more info here:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...=water+leaking
Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

more info here:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...=water+leaking[/quote]

Ya. Luckily The hole doesn't go into the front end. Its just on the floor. The only problem is whoever had the car before me, bottomed out really hard and put a nice big dent in it. Should I just fiberglass over that and leave the dent?

L8er Ty
Old 05-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
If you have a welder, weld it.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
static
6th Gear Member

IMO fist size hole is fine to fiberglass, especially that it's not in structural location. It's easier than welding and won't rust. (and you'll save some weight )
The secret with making it strong is not as much a multitude of layers, but efficient bracing. after you lay couple of layers, make an X from cardboard or foam across the hole 1-2 cm high (probably wanna do this from underneath to avoid it protruding under carpet, i don't know). then layer some more FG over the X. Strength of FG is in its curvature not its flatness.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
WillieE30
2nd Gear Member

Hey E30 4u.........The last thing you want to do is get in there with a welder....lord knows what is liable to catch fire......Fiber glass is good but if the issue was mine this is how I would attempt to fix it.....
First find some sheet metal...around 18-20 gauge galvanized if possible(no rust)
place two pieces both sides of the hole larger than the hole of course, and shape to fit even if you need to use a small ball peen hammer, get your best fit. Rivet the metal pieces in place over the hole with steel rivets...once that is done you will need to weather proof the repair. Go to your nearest RV dealer and buy a liter of RV roof patch. It comes in white and gray I believe anyways it can be applied with a brush and will harden up like the factory undercoat but it also will stay flexible. Slap that on both sides of your repair let it surface harden up about 24 hrs and you are done.......goodluck
WillieE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

Thanks Guys, Im going to be fixing it within the next week or so. I'll post details as I go.

L8er

Last edited by E30 4 ME; 05-01-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
hey Ty, let me know when you are doing this I will come on over if I can and give you a hand.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound
hey Ty, let me know when you are doing this I will come on over if I can and give you a hand.

For sure man. Wont be for a little while though.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Why is the last thing you want to do when replacing the floor weld?

Pull the carpets, and be careful. I had the floor of my truck welded up, it didn't catch fire.

If you don't know how to weld, or have access to a welder, or don't feel confident welding then by all means don't do it yourself.

Anyway of all the repairs I would go with Willie E30s... so long as you rivit the patch to good material.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

if you want to fix it right, weld the metal in there.

If its just your beater and you dont care, just want it to last another year....then fiberglass it.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
E30 4 ME
1st Gears Quick

I think I'm going to cut out the rusted area, clean it up and rivit the new pieces in place. Then weld it down for a clean seal. Thanks guys, keep the tips coming, everything at this point helps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: