Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
static
6th Gear Member

God Mike, pls get rid of this nasty sig
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
^ changed

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #18
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

Mystikal, Axxe,

i like the idea of putting in another M20. I'm assuming that putting in a different engine would change the weight of the car - and i don't want to put in anything heavier - even if it is more powerful. After all, I love the E30 for the way it feels during steering and braking, as well as accelerating. Anything that increases the weight would alter that. Also - at the extreme, wouldn't an S50 or S52 also demand changing tons of other things - including the tranny?

I also agree that M20 is powerful 'enough' - i've been in trouble already. But that's partly down to my attitude, which is much improved lately

I'd really like to hear more about the idea of using a modified M20. An engine with more power but less weight and greater durability sounds very appealing indeed. Does anyone have any thoughts on the claims in this brochure for the "3200 Rally M20" engine?

What got my attention is where they talk about developing fixes for the most common observed causes of engine failure in the M20... Anyone know if they are pulling my plonka?

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

put another m20 for now and get MGM to make a good stroker 2.7....3200 rally motor is a nice piece but if you have a warranty issue you are screwed...
Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #20
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamus
i like the idea of putting in another M20. I'm assuming that putting in a different engine would change the weight of the car - and i don't want to put in anything heavier - even if it is more powerful. After all, I love the E30 for the way it feels during steering and braking, as well as accelerating. Anything that increases the weight would alter that. Also - at the extreme, wouldn't an S50 or S52 also demand changing tons of other things - including the tranny?

I also agree that M20 is powerful 'enough' - i've been in trouble already. But that's partly down to my attitude, which is much improved lately

I'd really like to hear more about the idea of using a modified M20. An engine with more power but less weight and greater durability sounds very appealing indeed. Does anyone have any thoughts on the claims in this brochure for the "3200 Rally M20" engine?

What got my attention is where they talk about developing fixes for the most common observed causes of engine failure in the M20... Anyone know if they are pulling my plonka?
FYI, here is weights and brief descriptions of all BMW engines:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/engine_faq/

M/S5x are about 50lb heavier than m20. People usually make up for the delta by removing all A/C components. I hear you on the engine weight concern. If i were to do it all over again, i'd probably do a turbo 4 or opt for an aluminum block M52 (from Z3) with S50 head (and possibly internals, which should result in around 2.9L). I remember the aluminum block being 60lb lighter, but don't quote me on the exact number.

btw, S/M5x can be used with your existing tranny, shaft and diff, but i hear you need a custom tranny mount (angle is different). I heard someone on r3vlimited.com is in process of manufacturing them for people.

Alex
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Plus once you consider the fact that a stock M20 is more than enough power for even intermediate drivers, it's a no-brainer.
^^^ +10 My 395k eta is tons of fun - it's the suspension and tires that make it so. I'm still swapping an S52 in a few months because fast is never fast enough but while the eta takes a long time to get up to speed, I've never found myself having to accelerate in a corner due to a lack of balls. And also as Mystikal has pointed out, you'll be able to get another M20B25 in there for basically labor.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: