Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > Other BMW Parts
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Swerve
///Maquina

WTB: drop in K&N filter

how much? where's a good place to buy?

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Arrow Got 1

It's in mint condition w/ less than 5K of traffic.
Yours for $45 bucks + $10 for EXPEDITED shipping/insurance (48hrs service).....it's perfect...money back guaranty !

Follow the link for fitments on BMW's.

~~> http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2070

K&N part number #33-2070

33-2070 Product Specifications
Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 1 in (25 mm)
Outside Length: 9.313 in (237 mm)
Outside Width: 6.938 in (176 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.03 oz (31 ml)
Inner Wire: No
Top Style: Open
Weight: 0.8 lb (0.3 kg)
Product Box Length: 9.88 in (251 mm)
Product Box Width: 7.63 in (194 mm)
Product Box Height: 1.81 in (46 mm)

Let me know,

Marv.
(mrvster@aol.com)
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve
please skip k&n, unless of course you want crap to go in your MAF and motor and cause a premature death.
Stock filter will give you as much power as any aftermarket filter.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by static
please skip k&n, unless of course you want crap to go in your MAF and motor and cause a premature death.
Stock filter will give you as much power as any aftermarket filter.
this is true, i read an article where a guy flowtested a bunch of aftermarket filters, and the stock (mahle) filter he got from the dealership was the best one. the 'high flow' filters let junk through. plus, you can probably buy 4 filters from the dealer for the price of one k&n.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Find that hard to believe...

Have been using K&N for 20yrs on 3 cars...not a single problem.
They guaranty their product against all damages and aren't broke paying out claims either. They sponsor alot of racing and I'm sure those motors don't have stuff floating in 'em. I wouldn't believe half the crap that's spread on the internet.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN 3
Have been using K&N for 20yrs on 3 cars...not a single problem.
They guaranty their product against all damages and aren't broke paying out claims either. They sponsor alot of racing and I'm sure those motors don't have stuff floating in 'em. I wouldn't believe half the crap that's spread on the internet.
the crap that they spread on the i-net is that K&N filter adds power. Maybe it does on some really restrictive filters, but not on BMWs. Also if over-oiled K&N kills the MAF.
For your info: real race engines get rebuilt very very often, so you can technically run them with no filter at all.
And the guarantee is BS as it is a slow process, not like engine gonna fail in a week/month. Try to prove that the filter killed the engine over a 2-3yr period.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

^^^

Like I said before.....I don't know anyone personally who has had any issues with a K&N product...unless they were foolish enough to improperly clean it or over-oil it (like you said). I used their filter on my old 1988 MX-6 GT (RIP) for 18yrs and never had any engine trouble. It's on the E36 for 8yrs now w/out problems.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Jiver
All For One & One For All

Send a message via MSN to Jiver
As long as you follow instructions your engine will be fine. I have been using K&N filters on my winter car, my motorcycle and my 330i ZHP (CAI) without any issues.

My motorcycle, bought new, is a 1993 Honda CBR600F2 with the drop-in filter swapped the first week of ownership. My 2000 Honda Civic SiR has had the K&N drop-in filter since new as well. First year with the K&N CAI on the 330i.

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance
One for All and All for One
Jiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
Jiver
All For One & One For All

Send a message via MSN to Jiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve
Be prepared to pay ballpark around $70-100 retail. Check around, CT, PartSource, etc for sales. They go on sale, on occasion for something like, 20-25% off.

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance
One for All and All for One
Jiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
static
6th Gear Member

ok sure, no problems if used properly, but why overpay and bother when stock performs the same for less?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

^^^

A) The opposite.....Stock is more...as you have to continiously replace your airfilters throughout the life of your car.

B) Assuming that stock performs the same is most likely wrong, as well. K&N is not in the business of selling an inferior product. Even if you believe what these internet scientist w/ homemade flowtest labs write , with the K&N unit you still have the option of cleaning your filter as often as needed, without significant expense.

C) There is no reason to challenge K&N's horsepower claims, unless you have the facilities to conduct scientifically controlled horsepower measurements. Now I know that K&N's claimed gains are nothing significant, so it comes down to a personal decision.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Used K&N for almost 4 years...

In what I'd consider practically the worse conditions Canada has to offer.

Cleaned it 3 or 4 times in the summer, and maybe 1 time in the fall just before winter.

The most important thing is, in a very dirty environment, you wanna clean and re-oil it often... every month or two, to be safe.

My K&N is 6 years old and I love it.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: