Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-03-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra

i actually do satellite programming myself
i personally prefer directv just because of the american programming. With bell express-vu it's possible to program it but it wont last forever. Whoever mentioned that it wont go down is incorrect. It wont get ''zapped'' and kill your access card like direct-tv does, but they can change their software on the satellite end and re-write the access card so it doesn't work anymore, and you'll need to get it reprogrammed.

stealing television never seems to last for long, the longest i had any sort of cable decoding or pirate satellite card work was about 8months, and then the technology the company used changed so the systems went down.

I started to program my own cards about a year or so ago because i was sick of getting it redone so often. It cost me around $300 for the programmer and it was worth every penny. it paid itself off in a couple months.

(i dont do bell expressvu sorry...i wanna get into starchoice programming though because i like their system alot)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Problem with ExpressVU

The biggest problem with ExpressVU vs DirecTV here in Canada is legality.

It's NOT illegal to pirate the DirecTV signal in Canada, since they don't actually sell their product to Canadians. In fact, it's MORE illegal to BUY DirecTV in Canada than it is to steal it....sigh...

Pirating ExpressVU however, is illegal in Canada, and comes with a fairly stiff fine ($5000 initial).

DirecTV and ExpressVU both work on the same setup, and the likelyhood of *either* of them blasting your card so it's looped is extremely low (the infamous Black Sunday last year was aimed at the H cards, not HU, which came out shortly thereafter). It's possible to loop an HU card, but 99% of looped HU cards are done by the guy attempting to program it, not by DirecTV.

The biggest issue at hand is the reliability of the script. If you manage to get a truly *private* script, your DirecTV could be up for months at a time, rather than days. Mine is quiet stable, and I prefer the US signal as opposed to ExpressVU, which is just more Canadian content crap.

Frankly, it's simply not worth it to pirate ExpressVU, as the $50 you save per month isn't worth the crappy programming you get. Why bother? And the fine is prohibitive, which you don't have to worry about with DirecTV.

Just try to find someone who truly programs their own script, and not just someone who downloads theirs from DSSMafia.com or some other website. DirecTV can get to those sites just as easily as all the end users do, so there is no reliability of those scripts.

DirecTV is the way to go....all those real commercials during last nights Superbowl!

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:19 AM   #3
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
well honestly
try out the express-vu, and if it works for you that's awsome.
if you dont like it down the road, it wont be hard to resel for 100% of your money back. The legality thing is an issue, and because we're canadian we can get charged pretty hefty for it. But you're right, if you spray paint the dish, or buy a dish with no label on it (i've got tons =) then you're fine.

You can buy a labeless dish from any satellite store for $25 or so

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

The problem I have with ExpressVU, StarChoice and Roger's cable is that they are all lipstick on a pig.

Each one of them offers the same programming from company to company, and nowhere near the choices in movies, channels and *specialized entertainment* that DirecTV does.

And Bell could just as easily disable or hash the scripts on their cards as DirecTV does to theirs. My system is extremely stable, and the only DirecTV channels I don't get are the locals, since we don't fall into the right location for their spot beam satellite.

I get the basic Roger's cable, and get my local news that way.

I just can't see the crap you get with ExpressVU being worth the potential legality of stealing their signal.

Pat
Old 02-04-2002, 04:45 PM   #5
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Besides, ExpressVU is only $53 a month for their full package. Why steal it when that's all you're saving?

Pat
Old 02-05-2002, 05:38 PM   #6
JJ.
3rd Gear Member

You can get locals with DTV too. Locals from whatever state you want. There are ways of getting the locals of all the states on one card. I would go DTV just make sure you buy a ALL-In-ONE HU programer. It's easy to program.
JJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:30 AM   #7
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I think everyone's missing the point here... I'm also in the same predicament as Rob... getting sick of having my H-card zapped (just last night again). My friend has both DTV and Bell EV and he gets them both illegally and does the programming himself. Appartently you buy the Bell dish at Costco for like $200 and initially order a $25 package... the second month you opt for the basic $11 package and buy an "illegal" card and get almost as many channels as DTV for the $11/month fee. Apparently it's also more reliable than DTV, easier to reprogram, and you don't get "zapped" either.... you get certain channels not responding and that's when you reprogram the card. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 02-06-2002 at 09:42 AM.
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 11:28 AM   #8
bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Like Randy said if u get the Express-Vu just pay $10.95 per month. U can now get AUTO-Roll so the card reprograms itself as before u would just do it on your computer everytime the keys changed. It's a lot more than $50 or $60 bucks a month if you're were paying for the full programming cause you get all the pay-per-view, the x-rated channels, etc all the time. And when u buy your receiver and dish for around $200 ( i think it's cheaper now too), you get a $100 credit from Bell for your programming. Supposedly too, Bell is expanding their programming?

BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE
Specializing in BMW parts and service
905-670-9200

www.bimmersport.ca
bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

H-cards vs HU-cards...

Guys, nobody is missing the point. H-Cards with public scripts ARE getting hashed.

Think about it. If you could download the script from a web-site, what is to prevent DTV from doing the same thing. So yeah, you're going to get hashed on a regular basis.

The second thing to worry about with H-cards is that the stream is likely to get shut down within the next year or two. That leaves those receivers and cards as being useless.

I have an HU-card, with a private script. My system simply doesn't go down. Ever. I need to reprogram my card on occasion to wipeout the PPV info (there is a credit limit and # of purchases limit). One or two shiiite channels drop off occasionally, but this is essentially random. Do I really care if H&G TV goes off? Nope.

The 3M scripts (which are the OPEN everything scripts) are easy for DTV to hash apart, and are essentially useless to anyone now. The stream has a series of random memory jumps plugged into it, which basically changes the memory addresses on the card which refer to each of the various PPV and movie channels on the script. The 3M scripts are toast, and unless someone can predict the random jumps that DTV is doing, aren't going to work anytime soon again.

Private scripts, on the other hand, are fully functional. Mine works great, and I get all the U.S. channels, except the locals, since we don't fall into a segment with local coverage (essentially Buffalo).

Who cares about the locals anyway? I get local news coverage from Rogers for $20 / month.

The point to miss is that the initial fine for illegal ExpressVU is $5000 and up. There is no fine for illegal DTV, as they don't represent any form of corporate entity here in Canada, and don't have a broadcast license in Canada.

If you want your DTV to stay up and running, find someone with a PRIVATE script. and not just some joker who downloads the latest from dssmafia.com. ANY public script will get toasted, and your service will suck.

I LOVE my DTV, and wouldn't bother with EV even if it was free....still shiite programming.

Pat
Old 02-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #10
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Pat,

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you share with us on the DTV crisis some of us are having... I'm learning more from your last post than I could gather from my programmer on my random visits throughout the year. BUT! The question that Rob and I are both posing does not have anything to do with DTV, quality of Canadian programing or private scripts... we just want to know if anyone has any experience with an illegal (yes, we're willing to take the chance!) Bell EV dish/card. I ultimately would like to have both systems up and running (maybe contact you personally for some more info on a private script for my H-card) so I can choose (even if it's doubled up) what dish I want to watch that night.

P.S. I heard you can use the Direct Dish & Receiver for the Bell EV programming by just angling it up about 10 degrees, finding the signal and using the Bell card? -- Anyone?

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 10:29 AM   #11
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

H vs HU cards...

Randy,

I've heard (haven't tried, so I don't know) that the DTV receiver works with an AVR type board plugged into it. Once again, this is just speculation, as the illegal EV business in Canada is insignificant compared to the DTV business in Canada.

AVR boards have typically been used for pirating DishNetwork info, which is running on the same satellite as EV. I have no idea of a source to track this down though. Check www.dssmafia.com or www.dsscanada.ca

As to using a script on your H-Card. Personally, I'd sell your H-card if I were you (it's good for nearly $400 CDN), and then buy an HU-card and your own programmer (about $350 total). All you need to do then is find someone who writes their own scripts (there are several in Toronto; you just need to find a legitimate one). The H-stream is likely to get shutdown before too long, and because the H-card is unencrypted, it's targeted far more often than the HU stream. All they really do with the HU stream at the moment is shutdown the 3M scripts, and hash scripts that people stupidly put onto a web site somewhere.

This is the entire reason why I never post a script, and I'm pretty particular about referring anybody. If the script I'm running gets taken down, then so do I.

I can't think of any dealers around TO that carry EV setups illegally. Obviously, they wouldn't be advertising it, since it's a major issue for them. Talk to the guys at www.siskosystems.com, they might be able to help you out as well.

Pat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: