Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
jello_g
4th Gear Member

How to positively ID a Dinan stroker kit on an E30 M3?

I'm presently test driving a 1988 M3, stroked by Dinan to 2.5 Litres. Unfortunately, the owner has no paper work to prove Dinan performed the work. I have no question that some work has been done, as the car is quick, very quick. But is there a way to visually check whether in fact this S14 has been stroked to 2.5L? I suppose I could take the car to Dinan's local authority, but I would rather not spend that expense if I could avoid it.

Gerald Lau's Facebook profile
jello_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Wannabe
Northwood.

gonna be faster then the MX6?
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
calegrant
6th Gear Member

I know very little about these vehicles but arn't most m3 owners quite paticular, especially enough to keep records of MAJOR upgrades? Seems fishy.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

PM Robb, Punnzzells, or Tomnizer on this board.

Last edited by ///M-TRD3; 04-03-2007 at 10:39 PM.
///M-TRD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
jello_g
4th Gear Member

Wannabe, it is faster than the MX-6!

calegrant, I personally know the owner of this car. He is not as particular an M3 owner as you'd suspect. Otherwise yes, it would be rather fishy.

///M-TRD3, thanks for pointing me to informed members here.. Have any of them driven/owned Dinan-tuned cars? I would send PM's their way but since I don't know any of them personally I won't unless they chime into this thread or otherwise contact me first.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Interesting..........

Quick based on what....... what reference are you using to state that it's quick........... other E30 M3's ?

I can't actually help on this as I have no experience with Dinan besides having a box of their chips. I know Dinan does chips and cam sprockets (?) but I'm not sure they do the whole 2.5 kit unless this is something that I don't know about........ which is entirely possible. I'm not a Dinan fan.

I'd post this on S14.net as that's where all the experts are. If this conversion was done properly and it is what the guys says it is, I'd poke around to see if the header was changed and if there is anything changed on the intake side, changes to the fuel injection system, etc. All those things that would likely get changed if going to this conversion and it was done right. And usually Dinan stuff has markings here and there ........... I think.

How much is he asking for the car? And weird that it wouldn't have documentation considering Dinan stuff is way over priced in my mind.............. most Dinan purchasers alway keep the documentation to remind them how they got screwed ............. sideways.

Oh, and hopefully this isn't just a Dinan chipped and Dinan sprocket car ............. that's actually just a 2.3 that goes quick!!!

Last edited by tominizer; 04-06-2007 at 07:51 AM.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Dinan does more bolt-ons then the insides of the motors....there is Dinan shop in R-hill I just can;t remember where sorry...
Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
jello_g
4th Gear Member

tominizer, I've tried a stocker before, but too long ago to remember and make any comparison. So right now I'm going by my butt-dyno. If I push the car the slightest, I can make the rear kick out with ease. Then there's this immediate aural sensation the moment the ignition key is turned... a deeper growl with a slight overlap in the harmonics unlike any unmodded motor I've heard. If I nail the pedal it goes! But I haven't been in this class of car for some time so perhaps the sensation is all relative? Regardless, my ass is liking it and maybe a trip to the dyno will tell the truth.

I've stumbled across S14.net and have read many threads with great interest. I also recommend the site for anybody serious about the S14.

At one time, Dinan offered Dinan M 2.6 High Output engines, in either Stage I or Stage II format. The 2.6 features: (i) Dinan High Performance 10.2:1 pistons, (ii) high performance rings, (iii) billet crankshaft, (iv) custom Dinan performance software, (v) racing connecting rods, (vi) balanced and blueprinted. The Stage II is the same but with the addition of: (vi) Dinan's high performance intake cam and exhaust cam sprocket. Bore is now 94.6mm vs. 93.4mm stock, and stroke is now 92.0mm vs. 84.0mm stock. For whatever reason this package has since been removed from Dinan's product line, but interesting to note they still offer engine packages for M5's from the same era.

I mentioned earlier the car is 2.5L, but with further research it is closer to 2.6L (Dinan's spec displacement is 2587 cc). The owner says Dinan performed a Stage II upgrade on the motor, and a Stage III upgrade on the suspension. I have no doubt about the suspension, it performs and feels like a track car. Dinan claims 282 HP @6750 rpm and 267 lbs. torque @5000 rpm, but these numbers have long been disputed to be optimistic.

As for asking price, there is no set price. Simply because the owner has no idea on true value. So it's up to me to come up with a reasonable price tag. As for the comment on Dinan's high prices, it would appear they targeted a crowd that wanted something all-done and ready to go and was prepared to pay for it along with the Dinan name. Hard to comprehend perhaps, but some people have more important things to do than research and slap together their own kit.

paul christians, are you thinking of Engineered Automotive in Concord? They are the Cdn. distributor for Dinan (?).

Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^yes I am thanks....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: