Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Decent sound with Future Shop/Best buy product..

Basically I'd like to upgrade the sound a bit in my car, but I think I might keep the stock headunit.

With what's available at these two box stores, how can I improve my sound? (I get a decent discount there). Is the stock deck such a huge hinderance that I should upgrade that as well? (I like the stock look). I don't want a sub, I just want to upgrade the speakers.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

Its very likely that the biggest difference you'll see is if you upgrade just the headunit. You'll have to spend probably about $300 to get a good headunit, but by the time you buy 2 pairs of decent speakers, you're looking at the same price. I highly recommend getting just the headunit, then seeing how it sounds. If your happy with it, then your done!

my 0.02$
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

i have an alpine 9853 for sale if your interested.. pimp deck
\__l_l-[-------------]-l_l__/
\____________________/
AmaRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
cisco911
6th Gear Member

I'm getting an Alpine deck installed this week into my 330. I'll let you know the sound quality difference.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
///Milan
4th Gear Member

One of the weak points in the stock system is the headunit. When I changed mine out it improved drastically. I threw in some alpine speakers in the rear deck, and I'm going to put some in the doors and kick panels. I'm staying away from subs too. You can get great sound quality without subs but I recommend you just grab you stuff off ebay. The futureshop best buy stuff was never too appealing to me.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
cisco911
6th Gear Member

^^^^yeah and the prices aren't that great either.....just get yourself a good quality alpine deck and you will be happy. Alpine is one of the best out there IMO.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

The only reason why I'm limiting myself to Future Shop/Best Buy is because of the discount I receive there, as stated in my first post. I've looked up the prices on a few items and it's almost 50% off depending on the item.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

well just get something from a name you trust. i know that future shop sells clarion, and i trust their stuff.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
Skeezix
2nd Gear Member

Get a Nakamichi head unit if you want it to look somewhat stock and also have a really good sound. If you change to aftermarket speakers without giving them any more power, they will probably sound quieter and probably not any better. I personally would change the head unit, and then add an aftermarket amp to the stock speakers before I would change just the speakers themselves.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
The only reason why I'm limiting myself to Future Shop/Best Buy is because of the discount I receive there, as stated in my first post. I've looked up the prices on a few items and it's almost 50% off depending on the item.
Go to either futureshop or best buy and tell them to order u a Pioneer DEH-P880PRS.
even with ur discount, u can prolly find cheaper on ebay.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #11
///Milan
4th Gear Member

^werd. That is a sick deck. I have a 5800 and it's really good, tons of hidden features.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

system up-grade head unit,3 way kit up and coex in the rear and 2 amps to those speakers....
Old 04-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #13
tominizer
6th Gear Member

^yup.

But remember, those big boxes don't usually carry much in the way of quality as they usually only carry the entry level skews and some mid end stuff. They are about moving numbers. You'll likely do better on Flea-bay or by talking to someone on here with connections.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^true on that,but I have heared that they can do special orders too???
Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Keeping in mind I'm lot looking for anything remotely near highend, or to spend $1000. I'd rather toss that money into mods, not audio. I just want an improvement, and I seem to have a cheap avenue to do it. Also if I change my mind, anything can be returned just as easily as it was bought, unlike ebay.

Like honestly, all I'm really considering at the moment is a better pair of kick panel speakers, something to replace the rear speakers and probably something cheap (and easily removable) like a Basslink to fill in the lows. I'm lot looking to make my stereo louder by any means, I don't want to rattle my trunk off either. All I want is to fill in the frequency gaps the stock speakers miss, and to increase the lows a little, which as everyone know is something the stock stereo really needs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: