Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #16
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

nice car.. i love volvo wagons, except for the switchover to fwd
Old 03-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Nice find. What's up with the gold rims? It looks like the colour of the Renault Touring car.

Anyways, if you need anything, let me know. I'm a dealer for www.eurosporttuning.com

I know Frank (owner) quite well too, we track our cars together sometimes.

Time to join volvospeed I think

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 03-24-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

The gold rims are my new unique look. Seems to be quite well like by everyone.
Good to know you deal with ES, there are quite a few things I want to eventually get my hands on from there.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
sash
2nd Gear Member

Nice car dude..
I’ve been thinking about replacing my winter/DD car (VW GTI) with a nice and much more practical Volvo 850 turbo,.. wagon if possible. So, I am thinking about getting an exact same care you got. (is it 5 speed???)
From what I’ve heard, they are relatively reliable, but more importantly they are a blast to drive!
Any advice or is there anything I should look for specifically??
What is stage 0?
sash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash
Nice car dude..
I’ve been thinking about replacing my winter/DD car (VW GTI) with a nice and much more practical Volvo 850 turbo,.. wagon if possible. So, I am thinking about getting an exact same care you got. (is it 5 speed???)
From what I’ve heard, they are relatively reliable, but more importantly they are a blast to drive!
Any advice or is there anything I should look for specifically??
What is stage 0?
Stage 0 is volvospeed talk. It's basically what any turbo'd 850 owner should do to their cars before they start any mods. Includes things like cap/rotor, spark plugs, tranny fluid, coil pack, ignition wires, rear main seals, PCV service clean, coolant flush, replacement of leaky hoses, etc etc. Basically all this should be done to avoid wondering why in the future, with lots of mods you have misfires, boost leaks, etc.

The turbo models are not really reliable. It's the wrong car to get if you want something to just run around in. Especially as a winter beater. They are quite high maintainence if anything. Nothing on the car is cheap. The BMW was much cheaper to maintain for me. Volvo parts seem to be much more expensive than BMW. If you want a beater, go for the non-turbo models. It will pretty much run problem free for many years.

Here are some VERY common faults on the 850 Turbo. I purchased mine last year and I actually experienced and repaired every single one of them mentioned on the forums.

- automatic shifter microswitch (gets stuck in 3rd gear and you can't shift out of it
- rear main seal, a HUGE repair that will cost you big $$$, it's an oil leak that almost all 850 turbos with more than 100,000kms will have. Most people don't bother to fix it.
- PCV clean, a service that should be preformed at 80,000kms. Nobody does it, so you're looking at more oily leaks from different places as a result. Messy and expensive.
- common boost leaks from worn hoses and vaccum hoses. EVERYONE I know has these leaks with their cars. They are used and rubber cracks. Not really expensive to fix, but very time consuming as there are many many hoses.
- oil mixes with coolant, I forget the problem with this one
- CBV failures, very common, loss of boost. The CBV's are usually replaced with BOV's or recirc valves. I've done mine + 3 of my friends volvo's. The CBV's all leaked.
- strut mounts and spring seats. Must be a design flaw. They seem to fail prematurely and even with improved parts I've had them fail at just over 20,000km's. Very common problem. With aftermarket suspension, you're looking at replacing them yearly.
- cracked rear sway bar. I've gone through 2!

That's pretty much it. But at over 100,000km's you really have to do stage 0, it will cost you upwards of $1000. So be prepared to pay. I know a lot of people who neglict doing any of the repairs. But then you really aren't experiencing the full potential of the car. If that's the case, no point in getting the turbo. I'm not discouraging you from buying one. Just be prepared to throw money at it. When I first bought the car, I really thought I had purchased a lemon. But I soon learned that it was just the reality of owning a turbo.

BTW 5 speeds are near impossible to find. However, they do exists.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 03-26-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #21
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Brian is right, I have had to take care of a lot of trhe problems aforementioned.
The way I see it, you gotta pay to play.
Regardless, SASH I may be acquiring a 850 GLT OR GLE Wagon shortly. If interested I will be able to give you a good deal.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
Old 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #22
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Interseting that you've had that many problems Bryan.

I bearly had half of the problems that you had mind you I've autocrossed the Volvo for 3 seasons.

My automatic transmission is still fine (knock on wood). I don't think I have any boost leaks as the stealer haven't noted it when I went in for the routine service.

Major items I had to repair/replace were the PCV, coolant theromostat core, shocks/springs, CV joints (I think that's what it's called). For turbo related repairs I believe they oil line was leaking so I had to get that fixed (got to check back on the work history log). Other than that not many as problems as you bro
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #23
sash
2nd Gear Member

You guys are awesome.
I really appreciate the time you took to write all that stuff Brian! Great info!
I am really doubting my wish to have a turbo model now. In this case, I’d rather have reliability over power. Also, turbo model will be so tempting to modify and I will be “forced” to spend money on more toys (I spend enough on my BMW).
As far as the repairs go, I do most of my repairs. As long as it’s not really involved.. Like my cam installation, which I am trying to forget.
So main seal leak and oil mixing with coolant is something I will not even try to fix on my own.
There is one black 850 turbo wagon with 5 speed for sale on Auto Trader right now. Looks very nice!

Terry, I am not sure if I will be able to get the car any time soon. I was thinking about changing my DD/winter car some time in the fall. If you do not mind, please let me know what the price is on the car you will have. If it’s one of those great deals I will shuffle my plans.
sash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #24
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Mike, didn't you have a whole whack of check engine lights not too long ago? And I thought you said there was oil spewing out of your valve cover? The problems I've had are very common. If you go to volvospeed, you'll see that these issues pop up at least once a week on a different person's car.

Anyways, first thing you NEED to do is get a proper boost gauge, without one there could be problems you didn't even know were there. My car is also running at 14psi as compared to the stock 6-7psi of boost. So worn parts tend to show more problems when you run more boost.

Maintainence is a very personal thing. Sometimes the amount of repairs that a car goes through really depends on the owner. If you can live with your car not running perfectly, then obviously the car will not cost you as much to run. I want everything tip top, brand new. You should see the brake pads and rotors I have stacked up in my garage. They are still 80% yet I change them. Same goes for spark plugs. I change them every 3 months. My uncle had a 850 turbo he said never had any problems, he said the turbo was tip top. I tapped an Autometer boost gauge into the stock one on his car. It was down on at least 3psi through the rev band. You see, some people can live with that, I couldn't. I'd stress over it constantly until I had full boost. Low boost is usually attributed to many problems and really could be endless, turbo, wastegate, boost leaks, misfires, O2 sensors etc etc. Anyways, join the club, buy a turbo! We need more enthusiasts. Not mike, he hates his turbo

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 03-27-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:24 AM   #25
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
Mike, didn't you have a whole whack of check engine lights not too long ago? And I thought you said there was oil spewing out of your valve cover? The problems I've had are very common. If you go to volvospeed, you'll see that these issues pop up at least once a week on a different person's car.

Anyways, join the club, buy a turbo! We need more enthusiasts. Not mike, he hates his turbo

Bry
Actually my check engine light has gone off ever since I started using Sunocco 91 Octane (4 weeks ago and filled the tank twice). Strange, but that seems to be the fix, for now. I've been using Shell gas previously. Mind you when I had my 328i, after filling up with Supreme Shell gas, my fuel guage would sometimes jump to full empty and after a while back to where it's supposed to be. When I used gas from other gas stations, the problem was fixed; strange eh?

Oil spewing out? Not exactly, there's just residue of it, but it's not getting worse and worse, it's been the same for several years.

I like Volvo's mainly for their versatility cause I mountain bike/ski/go camping, but to me I wouldn't spend money modifying it. I like it the way it is stock. It definitely lacks the performance that you have on your setup, but I rather save my money up to get my Bimmer down the road. My objectives are different from yours. I love autocrossing and want to get more serious once I get my Bimmer. I enjoyed my time autocrossing the Volvo but I've decided to pull the plug as I need to keep the car another two years and I don't want to drive up maintenance cost. I may have been laughed at autocrossing the Volvo, but I'd like to see other people trying it, or at least they won't make the excuse of saying they need to modify their car first prior to autocrossing. Stock FTW j/k
Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #26
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Enough talking about the BAD things with Volvo's, here is some moe hotness.
(note tinted tails)

Toys
Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 PM   #27
330DTM
Cinematographer

Damn, I like the lowered look. What springs/shocks are you using?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #28
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I have H&R ~1.7" drop. Currently running stock shocks, but rides great!

Toys
Old 04-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #29
Jattdee328
5th Gear Member

looks nice bro.

HaVaaa vich kadey nee chiraag jug de...Juch de PUNJABI nahiyoon binna PUG de
Jattdee328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #30