Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-22-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
Lil'Smoothie

Advicee needed: E30 M3 lowering springs

First thing im gonna do to my M3 is slam it. Anyone got any suggestions on springs? Whos got the best, whos got the lowest?
I cant afford shocks right now, so if I lower it will it affect the handling/ride for the worse?
Old 12-22-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Re: Advicee needed: E30 M3 lowering springs

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Smoothie
First thing im gonna do to my M3 is slam it. Anyone got any suggestions on springs? Whos got the best, whos got the lowest?
I cant afford shocks right now, so if I lower it will it affect the handling/ride for the worse?
I suggest you wait till you have enough for a complete coilover kit. Don't just throw springs on stock shocks. You will do more damage than good. Be patient young jedi!

BTW - The guy that had my E30 before me had stock shocks with springs on it and it shure beat the hell out of the suspension. I replaced the shocks with proper ones and made a huge difference.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:25 PM   #3
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

A few options ....

It depends how much you can spend of course. Remember,owning/modifying an E30 M3 is outrageuosly expensive !Kevin the first thing you should look into is finding a BMW shop that knows about these cars !

You can use :
-Ground Control coilover system.You get to choose your spring rates.Alot of us (E30 M3 owners) are going this route.Great for the track as well as the street. For the price,you can't beat it. Make sure you get those rear urethane shock mounts !

-H&R coilovers. Soft,but this is a *true* coilover system. Perfect for the street and will slam the car !

-KW Coilovers. These are very high end coilovers. It is a race setup and quality build. These can be purchased at BBR Sportline in Markham.They are a supplier for KW.

-Leda Coilovers. Expensive,not too well known in North America. They come from the U.K.. Don't know too much about this setup.

-Ohlins coilovers. Forget about it. VERY VERY $$$$$

-Then you have OBX coilovers. Randy Sparre uses them on his e30. These are just sleeves,but will slam the car.

Make sure you get a decent set of shocks. Bilstein "sport" or Koni "yellows" !

Last edited by ROB89M3; 12-22-2002 at 08:30 PM.
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
Lil'Smoothie

I cant get shocks till im workign full time in the summer
I want the springs now so I can still have my car low from the end of April till June, especially for when I goto Wasaga for May 24

how much for GC coilovers?
what about the OBX ones?
Old 12-22-2002, 08:37 PM   #5
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I cant get shocks till im workign full time in the summer
I want the springs now so I can still have my car low from the end of April till June, especially for when I goto Wasaga for May 24

how much for GC coilovers?
what about the OBX ones?
What are your future plans for the car?
How much do you have saved up for the car?
Does the car require any work to it now?
How long do you plan on keeping the car?

These are questions you have to ask yourself before you start to throw money at the car.
If I were you,I'd get the engine running properly (if it's not),get a shop to detail entire car,then make a list of things that the car requires first,if it needs anything.

Then you can start modifying the car.If you want to slam the car,and are on a budget,go for teh Ground control system,or just plain OBX. IN ORDER TO SLAM THE CAR,YOU NEED TO INSTALL SHOCKS. DO NOT USE THE ORIGINAL M3 SHOCKS ! THEY WILL NOT LAST !

A GC setup will run you $1500 installed.
This includes:
-springs
-camber plates
-rear shock mounts
-labour

--> Shocks will run you about $800.

FOR MORE INFO LOOK AT www.ground-control.com
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:00 PM   #6
Lil'Smoothie

Well I plan on keeping the car till im done unniversity, next winter my dad will most likely be rebuilding the motor. A full GC coilover setup isout of the pic, im only 17, and theres no way ill be able to pull 1500 bucks for my suspension. Insurance plus gas on the M3 is gonna be bad enuff. Plus im going to university next september.

I want to lower my car, a nice sporty muffler and tinted windows, maybe some rims, nothing more. Im not gonna be tracking the car, just cruising, your only young once........

but when ppl tell me an e30 M3 is a bad car for me to have it pisses me off, I dont need top of the line parts, I just want an E30 that is: fast, sporty, and different, and an M3 is that car

I remember empowered told me about OBX lowering springs for arouund 280, im gonna look into those

thanks guys
Old 12-23-2002, 10:10 PM   #7
Lil'Smoothie

I've decided to buy some springs right now and keep them aside untill I can afford shocks, but im gonna have to sell my rims
Ahwell I like the look of the stock 15' wheels

anyone interested in 16' RD five stars?
Old 12-23-2002, 11:05 PM   #8
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
...anyone interested in 16' RD five stars?
4 or 5 bolt? 16"X?"
Old 12-24-2002, 12:32 AM   #9
Lil'Smoothie

5 bolt, they fit E30 M3 and 8 series, I dont know what else

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: