Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Allan_M
2nd Gear Member

Boost E46

anyone on here have a Turbo E46
im really interested in doing this
i wanna get some feed back on what turbo to get and results

also where can i get some info on that shit
and what did it cost you to do it and what mods u needed
Allan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
Active Autowerke has boost

save yo muny

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_M
anyone on here have a Turbo E46
im really interested in doing this
i wanna get some feed back on what turbo to get and results

also where can i get some info on that shit
and what did it cost you to do it and what mods u needed

don't run a turbo on an e46 not worth the hassle if you really want to supercharge it. vf engineering has a great kit for 5k and aa for 7500 i think. great systems and reliable from what i've seen.
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Allan_M
2nd Gear Member

im lookin to amek bout 600rwhp
no supercharger is gonna get me there.
and i dont want nitrous.
isnt active autowerke from the states somewhere
so with all the shipping and handling to get one stupid turbo over here i can buy a new car

now from what ive researched thats not even possible on the E46
how come the E36 is soo much better they have all kinds of turbos for them and nuttin for the E46

Last edited by Allan_M; 11-03-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:11 AM   #5
Furious
BMW again.

ahh here is the issue with boosting the e46 M3, the high compression on the engine really is the big issue to run boost on an E46 M you more than likely will have to do some internal work to compensate for high compression.. there are a few companys doing R&D on a reliable bolt on turbo kit. i believe horsepower freaks is working on a kit right now.. here is something i pulled of BFC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123
Horsepowerfreaks, maybe you can answer the following questions:

1.) What type of manifold is being used (log or tubular)?
2.) Are there any oil draining issues ( I had these problems on my 97 M3 since the turbo on those cars sits so low)
3.) What kind of exhaust system is included with the kit? Does the downpipe bolt onto the existing stock exhaust, or is welding required ? Any plans for full turbo back exhaust as an option?
4.) Is the wastegate vented to the atmosphere, or is it being routed back into the exhaust?
5.) Are you using the stock intake plenum, or have you designed your own intake manifold like AA did with their supercharger kits?
6.) What kind of Air metering system are you using, blow thru or draw thru?
7.) Is the BOV an open atmosphere unit, or does it recirculate back into the intake?
8.) What size injectors are included with the kit and what kind of fuel pump is used?
9.) What size spring are you running in the wastegate and what is the "high" boost setting?
10.) What clutch setup are you running? Can the stock clutch be used?
11.) When is full boost achieved in each gear?
12.) What size turbo and how much power is capable of making. I remember you originally using a GT32, has this changed?
13.) Any plans for stage II + in the future?
I've waited long enough and can't take it anymore. I'm too excited. Since I'm going to post a video of the car in action tomorrow I'll answer your questions.

Yesterday we made 480rwhp (approx 600bhp) at 7psi on the stock motor with a race fuel mix for safety reasons (no NOS or meth - and I think there's probably another 40rwhp at that boost level once we finish tuning timing and vanos). Tomorrow if we can get the car to do full pulls on the dyno I'm going to dial the car in for 15psi and see what it can do. We will not have enough time before Sema to get the true potential of this turbo kit, but I will atleast post up some preliminary results. At that power level the stock fuel pump is sufficient and the stock clutch is still holding.

1) The manifold is a tubular manifold with a merge collector and a T4 flange. Don't ask how we did it, but we made it happen and I believe it is a significant contribution to our #'s. Our kit will accept all Precision turbos from a T61 (this is the one on the car currently) to a Precision 76GTS.
2) No oil draining issues. We switched to an oil pump but I think we may be able to switch back to our original plan which didn't include an oil pump.
3) Those #'s were made with the stock exhaust. We are building an HPF exhaust for this car as well. The kit includes a midpipe which connects the turbo to the exhaust. No welding, cutting or wiring is require for this kit. It is complete bolt up.
4) On this kit the wastegate is open to the atmosphere. There will be an option to route it back in. It sounds really mean (sort of an exotic V8 sound) once the wastegate opens, and I sort of prefer it.
5) We've designed our own intake manifold. The one on our prototype car is fabricated, our production kits will be cast.
6) No MAF is required, simply unplug it and remove it. We're using a MAP sensor, and driveability is flawless.
7) The blow off valve is open to the atmosphere, not recirculated.
8) The injectors are high impedance 750s. At the power level we're at, we're still using the stock fuel pump. We're going to add another inline pump if we start losing fuel pressure.
9) We're going to set the kit up with 3 boost settings. The low boost pump gas setting will be 6psi. This is normal and is the way everyone will get the kit. If you purchase the methanol option, the car will sense any methanol in the tank, will activate the methanol fogger at 3psi and allow the boost to reach 10psi, as well as pull out fuel and add timing while the methanol is spraying. When methanol pressure drops or goes to high (e.g. you run out of methanol or the line gets plugged) the car will revert back to the 6psi settings. If you put race fuel in your car and turn on the race fuel switch, the car will run 14psi and add timing. If race fuel is run and methanol is in the tank the car will still run 14psi but will also pull out fuel to account for the methanol. The #'s we made so far were not done with any methanol.
10) We're using the stock clutch. We have our own line of clutches that are run in many of the fastest Supras and Vipers. We're going to build our own set of clutches for the M3 with the same materials and they will be good to over 1000rwhp.
11) We achieved the boost we targeted (7psi) at 3800rpm. The torque is amazing and doesn't drop all the way to 8000rpm. The T61 spools very very quick and provides a wonderful power delivery. However, because the motor responds so well to turbocharging, I'm going to probably switch to a 67, 70 or 72 in the near future. I personally like lag because it makes the power delivery more fun.
12) Precision T61
13) Yes, once we run 15psi on the stock internals, I'm going to do a head gasket and head studs to drop the compression, and see how much more power we can squeeze out of it. Then we will pull the motor apart again and do pistons and rods. I would prefer to skip the head gasket option but I think many people may want to do that step instead of building their motor. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated?

I will post up some video footage tomorrow.

Take care,
Chris.

oh and btw dont say its not possilbe on a supercharger read this ....

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=129641
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
Allan_M
2nd Gear Member

I dont even think there is a Turbo Kit available for the E46 M3
i kno active autowerke but its gonna cost 55,000USD

oh i kon that there will be some internals that have to be done
im willing to do them all thast not a problem

Last edited by Allan_M; 11-03-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

Why 600rwhp? Traction will be a big problem. 400rwhp to 450rwhp is a nice set-up. Although I personaly want more.
Why drag race a BMW? build a drag car out of a civic or golf for a fifth of the price and enjoy the BMW every day. My 2 cents.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
I dont even think there is a Turbo Kit available for the E46 M3
i kno active autowerke but its gonna cost 55,000USD

oh i kon that there will be some internals that have to be done
im willing to do them all thast not a problem
inquire to horsepower freaks they have a kit its in process should be done this year.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
inquire to horsepower freaks they have a kit its in process should be done this year.
already on that.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

The turbo kit form horsepowerfreak.com is gonna be crazy! Ive been reading through their thread about their turbo kit, and at 8psi they're pushing around 510rwhp with mix race fuel, no meth, and stock engine comps. That things is gonna be crazy, they said they're still tuning the car and having problem to rev more than 6500rpm quite a few times, and that's the thing that hold them back. I can't wait till it's done.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Allan_M
2nd Gear Member

ya thats what im talkin about
500+rwhp hopefully on a street setup meaning(pump gas) because 8psi is a pityful amount of psi but still amazing numbers. i dont get how they got that much power with that little psi
Old 11-08-2006, 04:25 AM   #12
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by superM3
Why drag race a BMW? build a drag car out of a civic or golf for a fifth of the price and enjoy the BMW every day.
Very true.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
Allan_M
2nd Gear Member

reason i wanna drag race with a bimmer is because i get the best of both worlds. only thing is with bimmer is TOO DAMN heavy
Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
only thing is with bimmer is TOO DAMN heavy
correction, a stock bimmer is heavy, they can be lightened, but it depends on how many compromises you can deal with.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
Allan_M
2nd Gear Member

ya thats tru.
but its a shame to start rippin out all the interior of a bmw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: