Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #31
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Anything Alpine, especially in the upper half of their range.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #32
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroBMW
I have about $2000 i mine, some parts new others used slowly peiced together, MAN that money could have been more well spent lol
ha ha join the club, i coulda had my e30 moving a little quicker without the system i have, im up there as well, im in the 3000 range without installations, and i can imagine what labor it would have cost me for my trunk that i did
Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #33
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I've used a ton of head units over the years. At the end of the day, all the flashy feature loaded decks .......... I barely use any of the features on a daily basis. Be careful of getting suckered by all the gizmos. Most important feature is that the damn thing is easy to operate and that it sounds good.

Ebay is great for deals (sometimes), but you really take your chances. I have 170 some odd transactions on Ebay and some of them were bad. But if you're willing to risk it, giddy-up. I don't anymore.

My order of preference:

Adaptor to use the factory head unit that gets signal into a set of RCA's. This keeps the car looking stock. Factory head units actually have decent transport sections.
Amplifer(s).
Speakers and sub.
Tuning gear (cross over, EQ, time alignment, parametric, etc)

BTW, less is better. You really only need a pair of components up front and a sub. 5 speakers is all you need for awesome sound.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #34
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Okay, Alpine has this one in my price range:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...&lang=en&tab=F

The CDA-9885, just over $400CAD. Any input? I'm clueless when it comes to all these stats! Dammit I wish I knew how to read this shit:

"CEA-2006 Power Rating
CEA-2006 Power Rating (4Ohm@14.4 V =1% THD+N), S/N 80dBA (Ref: 1W into 4Ohm): 16W x 4

Max Power Output: 45W x 4"

Errrr, is that good? Anyone wanna translate this crap for me? Its practically like reading Chinese to me, and I ain't Chinese.

Bart
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #35
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
I've used a ton of head units over the years. At the end of the day, all the flashy feature loaded decks .......... I barely use any of the features on a daily basis. Be careful of getting suckered by all the gizmos. Most important feature is that the damn thing is easy to operate and that it sounds good.

Ebay is great for deals (sometimes), but you really take your chances. I have 170 some odd transactions on Ebay and some of them were bad. But if you're willing to risk it, giddy-up. I don't anymore.

My order of preference:

Adaptor to use the factory head unit that gets signal into a set of RCA's. This keeps the car looking stock. Factory head units actually have decent transport sections.
Amplifer(s).
Speakers and sub.
Tuning gear (cross over, EQ, time alignment, parametric, etc)

BTW, less is better. You really only need a pair of components up front and a sub. 5 speakers is all you need for awesome sound.
Great advice! I'm not into gizmos much, but I do like the idea of being able to hook a USB key directly into the head unit. That way, I can just load up a 2gig USB key full of MP3s and go, no CDs required. THAT appeals to me since I tend to burn CDs like crazy and toss em out after a few weeks when they start to skip. So I don't think I'll be keeping the stock head unit. Plus, that Alpine deck I mentioned above is Ipod ready in addition to the USB thing. These gizmos might actually be useful.

Any input on the Alpine deck I mentioned, the CDA-9885, or the Pioneer DEH-P880PRS?

Bart
Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #36
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

here is my list of decks and in this order too...Eclipse,Alpine,Pioneer,Blaupunkt,Clarion and Kenwood....
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #37
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
here is my list of decks and in this order too...Eclipse,Alpine,Pioneer,Blaupunkt,Clarion and Kenwood....
I would have never even put Pioneer in that list. Its like a canadian tire brand to me .. really cheap like legacy. I think I would change it for Panasonic

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #38
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades
I would have never even put Pioneer in that list. Its like a canadian tire brand to me .. really cheap like legacy. I think I would change it for Panasonic
Wow. Never heard Pioneer described like that before! Most audiophiles I talk to love em. Exactly what do you base that on? I'm deck hunting now and I'm probably buying that Pioneer DEH-P880PRS within 2 hours.

Bart
Old 03-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #39
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

dude.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades
there three lines of Pioneer,so the suff you get at C/T is the same bestbuy and furtureshop,when there is suff at wal-mart....then can just look at Eclipes or Alpine then......
Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #40
CTM194
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to CTM194 Send a message via MSN to CTM194
Pioneer, Apline or Eclipse only way to go.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #41
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus
Wow. Never heard Pioneer described like that before! Most audiophiles I talk to love em. Exactly what do you base that on? I'm deck hunting now and I'm probably buying that Pioneer DEH-P880PRS within 2 hours.

Bart

quality .. friends with systems .. reviews ..

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #42
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
there three lines of Pioneer,so the suff you get at C/T is the same bestbuy and furtureshop,when there is suff at wal-mart....then can just look at Eclipes or Alpine then......
meh .. to all there own.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #43
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

After more reading and a trip to a local shop, now I'm told Clarion makes good decks, and one of their new models (DZX775USB) sounds like another amazing bang-for-the-buck unit, around $350. Any comments on Clarion?

Bart
Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #44
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Lately, the quality of all the top manufacturers has gone down. They are making stuff look similar to the previous years but the guts are way cheaper.............. Pioneer has fallen big time. Even some Alpine stuff is crap now. I'm not a fan of Clarion........... I had the 8255 (?!).... yucky. Eclipse, not too sure but some people swear by them. It's been a while since I played with Eclipse so my thoughts are based on their older stuff. Some people have said good things about the upper JVC decks...... but I don't know. It's really crap shoot. Even the Nak stuff has gone to plastic junk. If someone asked me now for a good solid deck that just does the basics and is good quality, I'd stand there with the "deer in the headlites" look. All I'd say is watch out for the gizmo decks. For the most part, I've found that you rarely use the gizmos. Thus why I think it's best to stay with a factory deck and say that device Audio Control has......... can't remember what it's called, but allows you to use yoru factory deck. And that allows you to start a great system that is stealth and factory looking which = less likely to be stolen.

The deck I have new in a box is a Rockford 8250i (basically a Denon between the Z1 and R1). Its a radio and CD player......... and that's it. But it has a crazy awesome CD transport....... although I wish it had a digital out for connection directly to a processor. That's the kinda stuff I like. I'll likely hook it up to an ARC Audio DEX processor and ARC Audio Signature Series amps ........... maybe Morel or DLS speakers, IDQ 15" sub. Pretty simple setup that's tunable for my tastes.

Oh, and for those wanting a screen......... say for the back seats, check out the deal at Canadian tire for the head rest mounted 7" with built in player. Can't go wrong for $130.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #45
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
I'm not a fan of Clarion........... I had the 8255 (?!).... yucky.
Define "yucky".

I'm looking for some decent sound quality first and foremost, for under $450. Tough order it seems. But maybe I'm overthinking this. I'm probably going to be stuck with stock speakers for now (or maybe not if I can get a good price on a package deal). Plus, the USB input appeals to me. If I can toss 2 or 4gigs of MP3s on a USB key, I may never even PLAY a CD in the friggin thing!

Bart

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: