Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

if you need a cheap sub n box lemme know i have a few 10's in sealed boxes.

$500bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #17
Swerve
///Maquina

my personal path pretty much every time:

1. head unit: alpine is a no brainer, pretty much any model new or used, they just rock
2. amp: alpine, some used out there, no worries- they're bulletproof
3. speakers: mb quart, but buy what sounds good to YOU. mb quart just sounds good to me. I find them very balanced, clear, and accurate.

speakers will make the biggest difference, IMO. if you buy speakers first, they'll only sound as good as what can be delivered to them which isn't much. start from the source, and take it once step at a time. how much time depends on your budget

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

dont know why every1 is buyin this crazy expensive stuff

i got a pioneer mp3 head unit for 120 used, its about medium level, not cheap.
i got a new kenwood 10" sub for 100 (300rms)
i got an amp for about 75$ to support the sub (ebay)
i got a box for like 10$ (ebay)
i got pioneer speakers for 10$ (ebay)

no idea why every1 is trying to spend so much money on audio. if hes not looking for high end shit and hes on a budget i suggest ebay, i can even suggest local shops.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #19
Swerve
///Maquina

^^^good point.

here's a good deal on a 4 channel that will make a big difference in ANY system, even if it's the only upgrade. http://cgi.ebay.ca/MTX-MXA-4004-4-CH...QQcmdZViewItem

It has high level inputs, so you can integrate it into your stock head unit. It can be run as a 4 channel to 4 speakers, or in tri-mode (ch 1+2 to front speakers, and ch 3+4 bridged to a budget-minded sub setup. Considering the music preference here, I would say a 10" in a sealed box, because it's small overall so it won't take up too much trunk space, AND no matter what the music, a sub that's set up at an appropriate level will always make a positive impact on the listening experience.

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #20
CTM194
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to CTM194 Send a message via MSN to CTM194
A lot of good points made, Id have to follow the guys with the headunit being your first step. I prefer Pioneer headunits, there very nice looking and are excellent when it comes to quality. You can get great deals on headunits on ebay i saved $70 going with ebay with a brand new headunit.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #21
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Great info guys, thanks! Keep it coming! I still need a noob-friendly link to read up on this crap though. Where can a noob go to read up on car audio?

Bart
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus
Okay, E46 320i, horrible business CD stock sound system, no CD changer. I'd like better sound but I'm poor, so I'd have to do it in pieces. I DON'T want a bass-bumpin machine. Rap NEVER stains my ears and I would kill anyone who even TRIED to play a rap CD in my car. But I'd like better sound, QUALITY sound, not just volume. I listen to a lot of classical and ambient electronic shit that just sounds awful on a stock BMW system.

So, what do I do first? Right now I'm kinda dying for an MP3 headunit, preferably one that plays MP3s from DVD-R discs so I can skip the iPod bullshit. So I was leaning towards that first. Where can a car audio noob research speakers and head units? Anyone got any good links, advice, etc?

Bart

I don't recommend putting in a system. I heard you might have troubles if you do as it links with the computer somehow. You might get the engine light come on or the air bag light. I bought a new eclipse deck and then returned it for an ipod with fm transimitter once I found out about the troubles .. for me it isnt worth it .. so I never did the system thing even thou I would love one.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #23
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades
I don't recommend putting in a system. I heard you might have troubles if you do as it links with the computer somehow. You might get the engine light come on or the air bag light. I bought a new eclipse deck and then returned it for an ipod with fm transimitter once I found out about the troubles .. for me it isnt worth it .. so I never did the system thing even thou I would love one.
Thats a new one. I don't think the CD player is hooked up to the computer at all, but I could be wrong. I'm putting in a system for sure, just a matter of what and when. I cannot handle this crappy sound anymore!

Bart
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #24
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus
Thats a new one. I don't think the CD player is hooked up to the computer at all, but I could be wrong. I'm putting in a system for sure, just a matter of what and when. I cannot handle this crappy sound anymore!

Bart
let me know how it works out for ya .. ill do the same if you have no problems

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #25
CTM194
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to CTM194 Send a message via MSN to CTM194
I have a system in my car and ive had no troubles at all. Bass travels/sounds very good in BMW's seeing as I only have 1 10". Sounds Great id recommend putting a system in.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #26
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades
Never heard that one before. There are hundreds of E46s running around the city with aftermarket headunits, I've never seen any issues like that.

And there are MP3 DVD-R playing headunits rolling out. JVC made their first, the Giga-Drive or something like that for 2006. Hopefully companies more in tune with sound quality (Alpine, Eclipse, etc) will step into the market, if they haven't already.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #27
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

that is on the new I-Drive car only......cheers.....
Old 02-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #28
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
that is on the new I-Drive car only......cheers.....
Ahh, yet another reason to hate I-Drive!

Bart
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #29
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^I hate even more.Why??I was one 8 guys working on a 04 7er and ended up by redoing half cars controls in it....it was the longest 8 months in my life,would I do it again??OH yes I would and it is all about the $$$ at point...and this car is very loud too....
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #30
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Ouch! Paul, I'm shopping for a head unit now. Would you have any recommendations for a decent sounding unit thats under $500? The Pioneer DEH-P880PRS sounds like a great bang for the buck deal. What would you recommend in that price range?

Bart

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: