Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Steering dull knock noise.

If I jiggle my steering wheel left to right when stationary I can hear a dull knock type noise coming from the footwell area, I can actually slightly feel it through the dead pedal.

Also from the same front wheel if I drive slowly over cats eyes on the road, the steering shakes a little.

Ive checked my tie rods for play but they seem OK. However with the car raised or on ground there is some 9-3 O'clock play on the same front wheel. I couldnt locate where the play was originating from, tried putting my hands over the bushes but to no avail.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
E36is
'OldSchool..'

inner tie rods most likely.. get the front of the car up, and get someone to move the tire side to side (9-3) and grasp the the boot cover end of the rod and feel for any play. If there is, then there is your culprit.

cat eyes??????
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

I agree with E36is - it sounds like your innner tie-rod ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is

cat eyes??????
They're reflectors embedded in the centre and passing lanes in most roads in the UK. They're also pretty common in the rest of Europe too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat's_eye_(road)
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks guys.

When I checked my tie rods briefly a week ago I did notice that they spin if grasped by hand, I think this is normal but there shouldnt be any horizontal play in them right?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmer
Thanks guys.

When I checked my tie rods briefly a week ago I did notice that they spin if grasped by hand, I think this is normal but there shouldnt be any horizontal play in them right?
You're right, the rods should turn (with a little bit of resistance), but not have any hoizontal play. It's pretty easy to check, even with the car on the ground.

Do like E36is is saying and have someone sit in the car and turn the steering wheel side to side (it doesn't have to be much, just enough to get the wheels to turn a little). While they're doing that, grab the tie rod and see if you can feel any clunks or clicks. If either of the joint's (inner or outer) are gone, you should be able to feel a light clunk through the tie rod when the steering rack moves side to side.

At any rate, hope this helps.
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: