Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
build/buy an e36

my girl wants one, it'll be 70% street, 30% track, just good tracking car, not like hardcore racing.

we worked out a budget, around 6-7k, we are leaning towards building from a rolling chassis, then swap in whichever seems to be the best choice at the time.

any tips and suggestions? she wants to hit the track by June, so already looking right now, we don't mind rebuilt title chassis either, but I've never looked into e36s before.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
-buy eurostyle's car.

-if its going to be a track car, obviously 5spd.

-dont get a 318.

-325/328 is preference, 328's are much nicer inside IMO, a little more refined. -Might be hard finding a 328 in your price range.
-Decide if you want 2dr or 4dr.
-The usual stuff, subframe on earlier years, 92 has non vanos which IMO is overrated, but nice. 96+ have OBD2 which makes modding a bit of a bitch, but also not that bad.
-see if the car has the original waterpump. If it doesn't, might've overheated.
-thanks to luxtec, 2dr trim parts are much easier to find than 4dr.

the absolute best thing you could probably do is grab someone who has a e36 and have them come look at everything with you.

some stuff i'd look out for in particular.
-rust on the trunk
-sunroof working (can be a bitch to fix)
-no CEL (check that there's no CEL, not bulb is burned out)
-SRS doesn't really mean that much, its probably passenger seatbelt sensor, might be worth checking.

that seems to be all i can think of for now, once you start looking at individual cars, post the info, mabye something else will come to mind.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
TheMadChigga

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
don't matter how many doors, as long as the chassis is solid.

again, we want to do a build instead of a whole car, keep the price down, since knowing spending 6-7k, then probally small stuff will break and tha'll add on to the cost.

although 4dr would be more prefer. What about brakes and stuff, do they all use the same brakes?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 AM   #4
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

check out luxtec's m3 went and looked at them the other day.....seem to be in good shape!

just an idea....

$500bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
TheMadChigga

didn't Bruce sold them?

I'm so busy this week, I"ll try to take a look.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:38 AM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Sam - all the brakes are the same, except M3's, which use bigger brakes.

If i were you, i'd invest in M3 brakes. They're a great middle ground between a pricey BBK and normal non-M e36 brakes. Having said that, with good pads/rotors/lines/fluids, non-M brakes are just fine for hard street, but even for light tracking, it might be worth it.

I only have m3 brakes in the front, and its more than enough braking power for me.

If you're going build the car yourself, **** obd2. PITA, unless you want to get nick to help you with a OBD1 conversion. From what i've read, its a lot of work, but none of it is that terribly difficult.

Also, i dont find M motors to be that great value. If i were you, i'd find a m50. Either non-vanos, and leave it, or if you find a vanos one, stick some s50 cams in there and be done with it. all e36 motors respond well to chips, with non-vanos motors having the biggest gains.

M50 headers are restrictive, find some stock 96+m3 or 328 ones. Exhaust wise you have lots of options.

Suspension setups are numerous. M3 struts have different mounting points for swaybars than non M ones. General consensus is, Stock M sways aren't as good as upgraded non-M ones, so not a huge deal. Other than that i'm not going to give you suspension advice, you surely know more about suspensions than i do. Perhaps the one thing i would add is dont discount the really stiff ones, H&R race in particular, for being too rough for street. They're stiff, but bearable.

95 m3 and Z3 steering racks are the shortest. You can use any PS pump with em, its just a different pulley at the end. If you want the extra power, the URi crankshaft pulley makes good gains, and is cheaper than individual pulleys, but read up on how it ****s with the harmonic balancer, and make your own decision.

lightweight flywheel is nice for downshifting and a little extra pep, dont mix with crankshaft pulley.

LSD diff is key. AFAIK, LSD diffs are
3.15(can also be open)
3.73(can also be open(never seen one in north america))
3.91(can also be open)

3.91 LSD with a 5spd would be very quick off the line. It will rev very high on the highway, there's a chart on www.diffsonline.com (its an excel file)

(ignore the 6th gear, North american transmissions are the same gearing, just no overdrive)

Tranny's you got two options (hit em or not)
-getrag, 325's , and the ZF, M3 + 328/323

The ZF is better, but if you find a getrag motor/tranny together, its probably not worth breaking it up.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,

Last edited by propr'one; 02-19-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
TheMadChigga

I think SS lines + some Portfield + powerslot cryo'd rotors are enuff, I just wanted to know so won't buy a car with special brakes size or weird calipers.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Sam, I got your PM. Sending one back now..

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 AM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

you've seen jon's car i think, if you haven't, its clean, good project.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:29 AM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

I have 2 that can do the job, 92 and 94 both 325is, they are salvage cars, one hit in front one hit in back...So i can sell wichever you want with all the parts from the other car to make one vehicle! Or if you want to keep cost down, just buy as rolling shell...Its best to take a look, and we can work something out depending on what you need. But it has to be soon, before i cut them up...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Propr'one: great and thorough advice man

Just wondering one thing though, why do u say the 328s have a more refined interior than a 325? I've had both, and except for the sports seats and steering wheel (options) and little button to lock/unlock doors, its all basically the same thing.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

The different material dash/door cards, the extra rear sound deadning, the digital climate control, the sportier front grille (although considered by some to be less agressive), the newer style sidemarkers, the one touch open sunroof, etc.

its not some HUGE jump by any means, hence why i said it was preference.

Also, you could've purchased a 328 without sport seats, and some people have. BOO!

It might just by my 328 though, since i got a few goodies, like the sport seats, m3 steering wheel, sport sways, etc, all from the factory.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
Boots R
Boots, not boost

one touch sunroof?! Any way of retrofitting that in a 325?
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Unfortunatly, its only one touch open. Umnitza made this mod which made it one touch close too, but it wasn't perfect.

Retrofit is easy, just get a 97+ sunroof motor, and a sixpack, and call me.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
NickP

I would personally recommend a 1993-1995 325is 5 speed. You get all the OBD1 goodness to save hassles down the road when you want to mod. They're also cheaper / simpler to maintain 1 o2 sensor vs 4, no air pump etc etc.

When it comes down to it though if I were looking to do a build up with my own sweat equity I would just find the cleanest starting point possible. This includes no rust, great original paint and as decent of an interior as possible.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: