Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-04-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
m_coupe1999
1st Gear Newbie

E46 M3 Recall ???!!??!!?

Dear All,
I just purchased a 2003 E46 M3. Production month is January 2003. Now I heard about an engine failure that affects cars prior to Jun 2003, thus my car included. What is the engine failure, how can i know if my engine is experiencing this failure, and what can i do about it. can i just go to BMW and ask them to fix???? My car is the European version E46.
Please let me know....As I just bought the car, and I don't want to end my joy with an engine failure!!!!
Thanks!!!!!!!
m_coupe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
330ci05
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_coupe1999
Dear All,
I just purchased a 2003 E46 M3. Production month is January 2003. Now I heard about an engine failure that affects cars prior to Jun 2003, thus my car included. What is the engine failure, how can i know if my engine is experiencing this failure, and what can i do about it. can i just go to BMW and ask them to fix???? My car is the European version E46.
Please let me know....As I just bought the car, and I don't want to end my joy with an engine failure!!!!
Thanks!!!!!!!

how is ur car the euro version??? lol cuz u live in montreal doesn't mean your in europe

well the person the owned it b4 you should have done that...
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
951kid
2nd Gear Member

you have to call your dealer and ask them if the car has had the rod bearing recall service. it affects m3's even past 03 i believe, but i find conflicting stories. your previous owner should have done this, and if you got hte car CPO it should have been done already.

//OM Scorza Exhaust | ZCP/SSR | TC Kline | Hotchkis | Stoptech ST40 | OEM LED | //OM Scorza CSL Trunk & Diffuser | Ice Link | TFX Retrofit
951kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
///Mmm
Need an s85!

he lives in abu dhabi which is in the middle east that means his car is euro-spec... man change your location, the guys here are getting confused
///Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
threethirtyi
1st Gear Newbie

i was in the same boat and took it to the dealer and got them to run the vin # turns out the only recall on my car 02 m3 was for the dme, and they wouldnt even do that cuz it was a bulleting when the car was brand new. They told me this after they said they would do this for free. Needless to say they did it after the service manager got involoved, u can't say ull do something and then take it back especially if ur in service. Just thought id let u know, gluck.
threethirtyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
///Balmoral
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Dear All,
Thanks!!!!!!!

Its the Rod Bearing recall that was done on the E46 M3s. If i'm not mistaken, the only cars affected by it were from 2001-2002 (Specific months, too), so I wouldn't worry about it at all since you have a 2003. I don't know where you got the June 2003 date from.

If you want to put your mind to ease, check the lead count in your oil. A friend of mine had his engine almost go bye-bye, but because he checked his oil for lead count, he saved it from dying.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Dear All,
Thanks!!!!!!!
if you have the original key that came with the car then all the info is on the key. If you take it to the dealer they can tell you what has been done to the car.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
tarmac1
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Balmoral
Its the Rod Bearing recall that was done on the E46 M3s. If i'm not mistaken, the only cars affected by it were from 2001-2002 (Specific months, too), so I wouldn't worry about it at all since you have a 2003. I don't know where you got the June 2003 date from.
In North America, the recall affects all 2001-2002-2003 vehicle equipped with the S54 engine (your M3 included).
You even get an extended warranty of 6 years/160,000 kms (100,000miles)on all the internal engine parts (parts lubricated by engine oil).

No info on the policies in Europe or the Middle East though....
tarmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
///Mmm
Need an s85!

My freind(m_coupe1999) went to the dealer and they ran his vin number ,and they told him that your car isnt affected. But according to BMW , all cars built before may/22/2003 could be affected and i think his car is built in january. so what do u guys say? how can he know if the car was repaired because the dealer doesnt seem to know about the problem.
///Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
tarmac1
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mmm
My freind(m_coupe1999) went to the dealer and they ran his vin number ,and they told him that your car isnt affected. But according to BMW , all cars built before may/22/2003 could be affected and i think his car is built in january. so what do u guys say? how can he know if the car was repaired because the dealer doesnt seem to know about the problem.

If the car is the European version, he cant have the recall done here.
A requirement of importing a vehicle into Canada (or North America) is to have all recalls completed prior to its arrival. But since it's a 2003, I dont see how he was able to import it with our laws in place...

Is the vehicle in North America? or in UAE??

Any North American spec vehicle (US or Canada) will show up in their system and show whether the recall was done or not.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
m_coupe1999
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac1
If the car is the European version, he cant have the recall done here.
A requirement of importing a vehicle into Canada (or North America) is to have all recalls completed prior to its arrival. But since it's a 2003, I dont see how he was able to import it with our laws in place...

Is the vehicle in North America? or in UAE??

Any North American spec vehicle (US or Canada) will show up in their system and show whether the recall was done or not.

Hi Guys.....
Okay, my car is in UAE, and its Gulf specs (Middle East). I guess this clears it. So what now???? the dealership informed me that if there was any recall on my car, it will automatically show on their system, and since it didn't there is nothing to worry about.........I wasn't too convinced!
m_coupe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
tarmac1
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Hi Guys.....
Okay, my car is in UAE, and its Gulf specs (Middle East). I guess this clears it. So what now???? the dealership informed me that if there was any recall on my car, it will automatically show on their system, and since it didn't there is nothing to worry about.........I wasn't too convinced!

Is there a BMW UAE head office? Call them and explain the situation. It's worth a try, but if they dont have the same measures that we have here, you might be out of luck...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: