Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Sloppy wiper arm

Over the last few days, my wipers have been moving extremely slowly. I thought that the motor was siezing up. Today I took a closer look and found that the passenger side wiper arm is sloppy and loose and rubbing against the rear edge of the hood. I cant see anything from under the hood, all the mechanics seem to be tucked away.

Any advice or pointers for fixing or getting to them. Anyone else had this happen? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Gamite

there's a cap on your wiper arm and a bolt underneath it. You should be able to tighten it from there.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
there's a cap on your wiper arm and a bolt underneath it. You should be able to tighten it from there.
It feels like the whole motor assembly underneath is loose but I'll try this first. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
phildc
2nd Gear Member

There a two large bolts which hold the wiper arm/transmission, maybe it's loose or the wiper transmission seized or is broken( common problem).
phildc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Sounds like the main linkage is broken. It's an aluminum piece that can develop a crack and eventually break.

#1 in the diagram below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=61&fg=45

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie
Over the last few days, my wipers have been moving extremely slowly. I thought that the motor was siezing up. Today I took a closer look and found that the passenger side wiper arm is sloppy and loose and rubbing against the rear edge of the hood. I cant see anything from under the hood, all the mechanics seem to be tucked away.

Any advice or pointers for fixing or getting to them. Anyone else had this happen? Thanks.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
Mr.535
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem. The big nut which holds the assmbly over time bends and twists the surrounding sheet metal and goes through. I welded mine back into place.
Mr.535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.535
I had the same problem. The big nut which holds the assmbly over time bends and twists the surrounding sheet metal and goes through. I welded mine back into place.
i had the same thing happen to me
Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
rico328i
5th Gear Member

Replaced my linkage a few years back. I think i posted it here somewhere. Do a search. Pain in the ass to do. Hope you have small hands!!! Find out quickly what the problem is. Like someone mentioned, mine tore a hole in the sheetmetal by twisting etc... buddy had to weld on some new steel... good luck
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR
Sounds like the main linkage is broken. It's an aluminum piece that can develop a crack and eventually break.

#1 in the diagram below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=61&fg=45

SL

Thanks for the link, that really helps to see the exploded view. Wow! pricey part if it is the linkage. I'll take a look and let you know what I find.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
rico328i
5th Gear Member

contact Bruno if that's the part you need. I'm sure he can get you a very good price

R.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Amit
2nd Gear Member

the piece can be welded back together.

Mine broke just a few months after I got my e36 (looooooong time ago) and I decided I wasn't going to shell out 250 for a replacement. Went to a metal fabrication shop and they fixed it for $40 cash in 10 minutes.

Had the car for 7 years after that and it never gave me a problem after that (the wiper linkage, that is. Everything else however, did break )

Last edited by Amit; 02-14-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Amit
2nd Gear Member

whoops - double post
Amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
frankzen
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Over the last few days, my wipers have been moving extremely slowly. I thought that the motor was seizing up. Today I took a closer look and found that the passenger side wiper arm is sloppy and loose and rubbing against the rear edge of the hood. I cant see anything from under the hood, all the mechanics seem to be tucked away.

Similar thing just happened to me. Wipers started moving very slowly...then
stopped. My mechanic (a great guy here in Montreal) took apart the whole assembly, found the passanger side bearing where the wiper attaches was seized...he disassembled the whole mechanism, cleaned it up, packed it with silicon grease and they now work 110%. Total cost $130 for 1-3/4hours labour. New parts would have cost me about $350. Getting the assembly out was the hardest part
Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzen
Similar thing just happened to me. Wipers started moving very slowly...then
stopped. My mechanic (a great guy here in Montreal) took apart the whole assembly, found the passanger side bearing where the wiper attaches was seized...he disassembled the whole mechanism, cleaned it up, packed it with silicon grease and they now work 110%. Total cost $130 for 1-3/4hours labour. New parts would have cost me about $350. Getting the assembly out was the hardest part
After a while mine started moving again, so I think that something sheared off in there. Yesterday was a bit warmer so I decided to give it a look over. The driver arm came off but for the life of me I couldn't get the other one off, even after a good soaking of WD40.

I'm going to have to take off the whol black plastic thing thats under the hood in order to get in there.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
frankzen
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

I'm going to have to take off the whole black plastic thing thats under the hood in order to get in there.

Yeah, that's the bitch!! Took him 45 minutes to get the mechanism out...and 20 minutes to put it back..the rest of the time was freeing up the bearing. If I were you I'd get it fixed or fix it before the motor burns out...they are not cheap!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: