Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

rear diff.....

i searched.....didnt come up with much really....

what are the biggest gains of having a 3.15 lsd?

list pros and cons

Thankyou to everyone....

and boots(kev)

lol

$500bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Acceleration wise, there won't be any time gains in your car since your car should have a 3.15 stock. The basic pro is that you'll have better traction since both wheels will be doing the spinning. The only con that i can think of is that you might be more tempted to take turns like an asshole (aka powerslide)
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
1st Gear Newbie

0 gains other then traction when accelerating and accelerated tire wear. Although theirs a much better chance you'll spin out and crash&burn when out of control due to the added chance of LACK of traction in adverse conditions, unless. Your able to control it.
999666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999666
0 gains other then traction when accelerating and accelerated tire wear. Although theirs a much better chance you'll spin out and crash&burn when out of control due to the added chance of LACK of traction in adverse conditions, unless. Your able to control it.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Boots R
Boots, not boost

more fun for donuts.

Do it Dan, get one. And stop mooning me you peice of shit.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

i dont get tempted.......i thought that was the way i was supose to take turns lol

there wont be any difference from my axel's to this, no mod's to put it in?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 AM   #7
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

o....and hopfully i dont crash and burn......thanks tho...

Old 02-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
What the hell?
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:24 AM   #9
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
Quote:
That is hardly even a coherent thought...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

What hes saying does have truth behind it. An open diff WOULD be better in poor weather/road conditions when in a turn, since only ONE wheel would be spining. Since on an LSD both wheels spin, it would be easier to loose the ass end in poor conditions!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by $500bimmer
i dont get tempted.......i thought that was the way i was supose to take turns lol

there wont be any difference from my axel's to this, no mod's to put it in?

nope, you don't have to change anything. Sometimes the flanges might be differnt on the input/output but you can just take these off your old diff.

If I were you I'd try to get a shorter ratio like 3.38 or 3.23 if you can source one, you'd gain significant acceleration.

to 999666:

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
3.38 FTW. Best mod I've done so far, hands down.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

I like the 3.23.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #14
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
What hes saying does have truth behind it. An open diff WOULD be better in poor weather/road conditions when in a turn, since only ONE wheel would be spining. Since on an LSD both wheels spin, it would be easier to loose the ass end in poor conditions!
At least somone with experience....
Scotch surprises me, geuss he isn't one to drive in harsh conditions with a daily with LSD and worn rubber (& I know Ottawa get's lots of snow and ice).
Too add with a more then 25% LSD and 135 grade diff oil + LSD additive along with worn tires rear will lock up when not on the throttle in harsh conditions due to lack of traction & end up with a 2 wheel lock up (somwhat) for a squirly feel.
A stock LSD would need pretty bald rubber to show this.... Then again you would'n know what your missing unless you ever experienced a non stock clutch plate in your diff I suppose.

Last edited by 999666; 02-03-2007 at 02:41 AM.
999666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:39 AM   #15
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
At least somone with experience....
Scotch surprises me, geuss he isn't one to drive in harsh conditions with a daily with LSD and worn rubber (& I know Ottawa get's lots of snow and ice).
Too add with a more then 25% LSD and 135 grade diff oil + LSD additive along with worn tires rear will lock up when not on the throttle in harsh conditions due to lack of traction & end up with a 2 wheel lock up (somwhat) for a squirly feel.
A stock LSD would need pretty bald rubber to show this.... Then again you would'n know what your missing unless you ever experienced a non stock clutch plate in your diff I suppose.
Interresting take on the benefits of an LSD. Still does not explain why it's more dangerous, and wears more tires with a stock LSD diff. Since you're not spinning 1 wheel all the time, it would use less tire. Unless you're talking about the lockup during a turn, which will certainly NOT be evident in a 25% stock lockup LSD (and probably worn to less than that).

You also state that you'll crash and burn if out of control. Well, that's a no brainer ... if you're out of control, the lack of an LSD won't help you. I don't however buy that you're more likely to GET out of control quicker with an LSD. I used to snow race my old 325is with a 3:15 LSD at the MCO Slush&Slide events. It was perfectly predictable, and very easy to drive (even when sideways). The only thing I would agree with is that since an LSD will help you accelarate better, you might be at a higher speed before you get the corner you used to be able to take without the LSD, leading to a turn in beyond your means. I now drive the POS nissan with 1 wheel drive, and it doesn't really make a difference, except that I can't accelerate worth a shit.

At the end of the day, I do agree with you (and others) that getting a 3:15 would be useless ... a change in ratio is in order (if you bother at all).

Btw, I have a 3:73 for the race car, with a 30/90 split lockup.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: