Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
Coolant leak: A heads up to all you X5 owners

So every morning i've been noticing small drops of coolant on the garage floor when my dad leaves for work. So after bringing it to the stealer (under warantee) turns out that small leak is a major problem.

It turns out the Valley Pan Gasket is shot and is about $1200 to fix and 8 hours of labour that involves removing the intake manifold and reaching behind the engine and firewall to change that gasket. Luckily we're still under warantee so we don't have to pay for parts.

Apparently its a common problem wen X5's get over 100 000 km? Can anyone confirm this? or had experience with this?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
tominizer
6th Gear Member

which motor ?!@?!
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Ya, more details please. Any signs to prevent this from happening?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
oops my fault i thought i put that in title.

its the V8 4.4 litre motor
Old 01-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Gamite

Its usually the rad neck that goes first. But that's common with ALL BMW's.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
rzrdxl
2nd Gear Member

I've got the 4.4 V8 on my e39. can you post the part number for the gasket? "valley pan" gasket is not listed on realoem.com

motor's pushing 170K... i would like to get this checked out before it gets to the point that it leaks.

thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
dpgm3
1st Gear Newbie

what year is this X5? Or does it apply to all 4.4i engines?
dpgm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
daytona
6th Gear Member

I read thats a common problem (cooling system) on higher KM X5..more often on the larger engine 4.4's...Second most common is "climate systems and electrical gremlins"..knock on wood the core of the car (engine,transmission,brakes)seems to show very little problems if properly maintained.
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Maxim
2nd Gear Member

Valley pan leaks are somewhat common for 4.4L V8s in 5s, 7s and X5s.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
TNation
Banned

which is why 3.0L X5 FTW
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
///Mmm
Need an s85!

Thats really bad news since today i actually got an X5 4.4 with 96k !
///Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #12
Cynthia_Lope
1st Gear Newbie

BMW N62 V8 Coolant Pipe Repair Kit

Hello,

I am writing to tell you about a new BREAKTHROUGH method for repairing a leaking Coolant Transfer Pipe in the BMW N62 V8 engine block using the BimmerFix Stint. The N62 V8 is a popular BMW engine that was used from 2002 thru 2010, in such fabulous vehicles as the BMW 735i, 740i, 745i, 750i & Li, 645Ci, 650i, 540i, 545i, 550i, and the X5 SUV.

Located deep inside of this BMW N62 engine is a Coolant Transfer Pipe, which carries antifreeze from the Water Pump to cooling chambers within the engine. However, the Front Seal on this Cooling Tube can fail in as little as 40,000 miles, and start leaking antifreeze from the engine block, through a weep hole in the Timing Chain Cover. When this happens, the car will lose antifreeze from the engine, and the engine will overheat.

In the past, this has been a very expensive repair because it required disassembly of the engine, in order to access the leaking Cooling Pipe Seal. The original method of replacing the crossover Coolant Transfer Pipe required the removal of the Timing Chain Cover. This repair could cost $6,000 or more at the BMW Dealer.

Then, an after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe was developed to save time and money on this repair. This Collapsible Coolant Pipe method involves removing the Intake Manifold, cutting out the old Coolant Pipe and installing the after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe. But even this method required many hours of shop labor and expensive parts and supplies. The repair bill for this method can still cost between $1,500.00 and $2,500.00 to remove the Intake Manifold, cut out the old Coolant Pipe and install the new Collapsible Coolant Pipe.

However, BimmerFix Products Co. has discovered a BREAKTHROUGH system to stop the leak! The BimmerFix method is much faster and less expensive than these old methods. This simple, yet durable and long lasting method inserts the BimmerFix Stint into the leaking crossover cooling tube, through the Timing Chain Cover. The thin aluminum sleeve creates a long lasting repair that is much easier and less expensive to install than the old repair methods.

The new BimmerFix Stint will stop the Coolant Pipe leak, and only requires the removal of the Water Pump. This new patent protected invention can save YOU or your customerís time, hassle, and thousands of dollars. It works or your money back!

Save time and money! Take a look at www.BimmerFix.com.

Watch The Video! You will be glad you did! http://youtu.be/UABuZYvI3SM

Thanks for your time!

BimmerFix Products Co.

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Cynthia_Lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Valley pan leaks are somewhat common for 4.4L V8s in 5s, 7s and X5s.
This^ we did two recently a 645 and 745 they are MUCH more than $1200 to repair, the dealer is looking at more than $6k-$9k+ on the 7!

We are able to buy the redesigned pipe out of cali and save some labour by not pulling the motor but rather cutting the pipe in half and removing it. And get it done closer to $3k.

Either way if you have a coolant leak on these motors and it is coming from the side hole and not the pump, you're doomed.

Not a new thing, well documented just an expensive one due to poor bmw build quality on a pipe with not so great sealer on the end, that is literally the issue, cheap black crap to seal it. The redesigned aftermarket one is 100 times better.

That is why buying a used 6 or 7 comes with it's surprises.

How the above posters thing works is beyond me since the vast majority of complaints and work done has nothing to do with the pipe but rather the seal at the ends.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 04-23-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #14
dbworld4k
Addict

Holy thread bump and advertising, batman.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #15
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

LOL I just realized what I replied to now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: