Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2002, 06:54 PM   #1
alldiver28
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: new york
Posts: 1
Question I wana buy an e36 M3 was the best year to purchase performance wise ?

Hey guys !!!!! and how much i'm spected to pay?
alldiver28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 06:59 PM   #2
mkgino
6th Gear Member
 
mkgino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,683
Re: I wana buy an e36 M3 was the best year to purchase performance wise ?

Quote:
Originally posted by alldiver28
Hey guys !!!!! and how much i'm spected to pay?
A LOT! No just kidding. From 92-99 they all have the same performance numbers. If you want it for performance then get a 95 or older, because you it takes to mods much easier
__________________
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:21 PM   #3
Daydream///M3
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 688
Not true in terms of performance numbers... pre 95 have 240 bhp and 227 lb/ft and are a 3.0L block
96-99 are 3.2 L and have the same bhp at 240... but 236lb/ft
OBD1 are easier to tune...true, but burn more fuel....3.2L are more efficient in fuel consumption so Ive heard.
Im looking for a 97-99. Ergonomics are slightly different in the newer E36's...auto climate control, traction etc...
Newer E36's looking to spend 30-35 with 80-100 K.....contingent on the condition.
Daydream///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:28 PM   #4
mkgino
6th Gear Member
 
mkgino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,683
Quote:
Originally posted by Daydream///M3
Not true in terms of performance numbers... pre 95 have 240 bhp and 227 lb/ft and are a 3.0L block
96-99 are 3.2 L and have the same bhp at 240... but 236lb/ft
OBD1 are easier to tune...true, but burn more fuel....3.2L are more efficient in fuel consumption so Ive heard.
Im looking for a 97-99. Ergonomics are slightly different in the newer E36's...auto climate control, traction etc...
Newer E36's looking to spend 30-35 with 80-100 K.....contingent on the condition.
U gonna S/C this one too?? Oh man that would ba a beast!!
__________________
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #5
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,438
mkgino you dunno shit about m3s so STFU j/k
well your best choice is 94 euro m3.
if you don't wanna it then 95 m3 comes with 3.0l engine, no traction control, and knobs instead of buttons. also front is different. there were no m3s in 96, so next come 97-99.
97 is the ligthest one, late 97 came with side airbags, and in 98-99 they came with illuminated shiftknobs and rear headrests. also olders m3s had 4 point steering wheel

anyway i would go with 97-98 m3. 99 will cost much more
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:49 PM   #6
mkgino
6th Gear Member
 
mkgino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,683
Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
mkgino you dunno shit about m3s so STFU j/k
well your best choice is 94 euro m3.
if you don't wanna it then 95 m3 comes with 3.0l engine, no traction control, and knobs instead of buttons. also front is different. there were no m3s in 96, so next come 97-99.
97 is the ligthest one, late 97 came with side airbags, and in 98-99 they came with illuminated shiftknobs and rear headrests. also olders m3s had 4 point steering wheel

anyway i would go with 97-98 m3. 99 will cost much more
Dude, he asked about performance not looks. They are all basically the same car except for a few buttons here and there. But the OBD1 is easier to mod, I mean thats what everyone says on the boards.
__________________
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:52 PM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,779
they didnt have E36 M3 until 1994/1995 didnt they?
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 09:09 PM   #8
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,438
Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino


Dude, he asked about performance not looks. They are all basically the same car except for a few buttons here and there. But the OBD1 is easier to mod, I mean thats what everyone says on the boards.
You said: From 92-99 they all have the same performance numbers.

There were no e36 m3s till 94 when they imported them in Canada, then first US spec m3 appears in 95 only in US, next m3 came in 97.
Performance wise 94 is different from any other year, 95 is different from any other year and 97-99 were the same
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 09:13 PM   #9
mkgino
6th Gear Member
 
mkgino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,683
Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga


You said: From 92-99 they all have the same performance numbers.

There were no e36 m3s till 94 when they imported them in Canada, then first US spec m3 appears in 95 only in US, next m3 came in 97.
Performance wise 94 is different from any other year, 95 is different from any other year and 97-99 were the same
Sorry I meant from 94-99. Dude they are almost the same car performance wise, except for the bit more torque in the 3.2l 96-99. Lets not split hairs. He asked if there are any differences in performance and there really arent. I would get the older one if he wanted to mod it, because the OBD1 takes easier to mods. Why is 94 and 95 different from 97-99?
__________________
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 09:32 PM   #10
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,438
94 euro m3 had 3.0l 286hp and 236lb of torque
95 m3 had 3.0l 240hp and 225lb of torque
97-99 had 3.2l 241hp and 236lb or torque
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 09:48 PM   #11
330DTM
Cinematographer
 
330DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: T dot O
Posts: 3,080
Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Heh,
OBD I's just gives you better results from a mod vs. OBD II. That's why OBD IIs are harder to mod, in terms of if you expect more gains from the mod.

But given that you drive it daily and you don't race, it probably wouldn't matter if you have a 3.2L or 3.0L w/minor mods.

But if you love the ergonomics on the 97-99 (which i do b/c of the climate controls and 3 spoke steering wheel on the '99) but also care about squeezing ever inch of power then go for it and convert it to an OBD I if you want to stay N/A, otherwise stay OBD II and supercharge or turbocharge it
__________________
-=Slow In Fast Out=-
330DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:39 PM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,779
wont you get better results even with OBD1 for s/c or turbo?

also sickfinga, dont bother mentioning the euro..he is in US..he will have to import it which is more money for him
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:08 PM   #13
Daydream///M3
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 688
I think the 94 euro has 247lb/ft and 286bhp
The EVO 3.2L has 321 bhp and 258lb/ft

I think that is how it went..... those aforementioned are Euro models and were never available in the states or Canada.....too bad unfortunately.

I would love to get my hands on an EVO E36 M3
Daydream///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:10 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,779
Quote:
Originally posted by Daydream///M3
I think the 94 euro has 247lb/ft and 286bhp
The EVO 3.2L has 321 bhp and 258lb/ft

I think that is how it went..... those aforementioned are Euro models and were never available in the states or Canada.....too bad unfortunately.

I would love to get my hands on an EVO E36 M3
even with that HP...its 0-60 times were almost exactly the same...the only difference is the HP and the 6spd tranny
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:20 PM   #15
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,438
euro m3 was available in Canada EVO euro m3 were not.
also I saw some euro m3 for sale on dtm and they were already in states.

the reason why us spec in euro m3 were pretty close in 0-60 and 1/4 mile is that euro m3 has different differential, euro is capable of much higher top speed.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.