Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2002, 09:53 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
M50/2 internal swapability.

He's a load of questions for the knowledgable....

I'm just curious, are the cranks on any US m50/2 engine swappable between engines of different displacement? aka a 3.2L m52 crank into in a 2.8L m52 to make it 3L? Yes, I know i'd need rods and software (at the least) to make it work also, along with making sure I don't raise the compression past 10.5:1 and to keep the valves from slamming into the pistons. Is that kind of tuning doable with ODBII, or is that a strictly an ODBI type mod? (Like the 2.9L conversions to 2.5L m50's using m3 internals)

Also, are all the M50/2 block basically the same, could the non-M car blocks (84mm bore) be bored to that of a M3 (86-86.4mm bore) and just use larger diameter pistons? What is the largest bore anyone has pulled off on an M3 block? (I've heard of some 3.3's).

Just tossing some ideas around in my head, that's all. Keeping in mind most of the work would be DIY (minus what I'd have to take to a machine shop). Maybe selling a 328 engine and buying an M3 engine would be cheaper (no labour costs for the swap, DIY also).......I'll keep on thinking here....
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 12-14-2002 at 09:57 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: