Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #16
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

BTW, I have some really NICE euro elipsoids (smilies) for sale if you want a set. They are in excellent shape.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
BTW, I have some really NICE euro elipsoids (smilies) for sale if you want a set. They are in excellent shape.
hey if u ever find a shitty set that works good that u wanna sell, lol hit me up
Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #18
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Alright , right now I only have a E32/E34 set.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #19
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
hey guys, thanks to all of you who posted up here with your ideas and comments. What I plan to do is wait for a few years, keep my eyes open just on the off chance I might find something (never hurts ya know?) and then re-evaluate my options once I have the $$ ready to go. I plan to talk to Markus and Rocco about it and get thier opinions.

As for swapping in a chev motor or the like, I just can't do that, if I want american muscle, then I will go out and get a vette or something like that later on in life, although i'd never see myself driving one of those...

I want to stay BMW on this swap, whatever it may be. Who knows maybe in a year or two someone will have a S65 swap done or in the process into an older car and I can follow how they choose to approach it.

The other option that I have been toying around with is a 4.8 motor out of a 04+ X5, put that in and then possibly put a nice charger on it afterwards... or a 04+ 4.4...

In terms of putting the V12 in there, i don't think I want to get into that cause at the end of the day, it's only 300hp, older technology, and I KNOW that those have a rep that proceds them in terms of reliability.

Anyways, thank you again as I said for all the ideas, and comments, First things first I have to do the suspension on the car, get it nice and low and stiff

@ Devon, don't worry whatever it will be, it's gonna shock people....

@Mirek, nah i wouldn't want to get hurt now would I you want to do it?

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 AM   #20
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
only reason why they have bad reps is cause bad management, they run two management systems, one per bank. Since either swap requires standalone, it'll make literally no difference. I'd stay from anything that has variable stuff on it, it just creates headache for tuning. There's nothing spectacular about the 4.8i, at least not the block itself, even the M62 isn't all that special. There are people using the v12 on megasquirt'n'spark forum, and the engine has being running great, there's even one in an Ultima GTR that competed in SCC's ultimate street car challenge, with stock spec and standalone, it put down 380whp.

at the end, its all what's in your budget, $10k will get you a nicely finish turbo'd M30 or standalone v12, $20k will get you a finished s/c'd M60/62/65 or a LS6, $50-60k will get the V10 working properly.

and 3-5 yrs is really far away man, even some of the stuff that I planned to do in few months seems far away. I say do watever you wanna do with the car now, and then a step at a time. You'll need a lot more just engine upgrade to get there.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #21
Hound
V-Dub in da House

^^ yea for sure, i plan on doing suspension stuff this year, and some rims and misc stuff.

Then after that I'm gonna look at the options and decide for sure on the swap.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #22
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

OK,this is just an idea ok,and most build-ups that are this crazy taken and reseach and that is all,so if some of you cann't be nice about OH WELL...like it is just idea here...I think it is a cool one my self...
Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #23
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Someone on one of the other forums I visit said something about 3 of those motors being available in Europe rite now........... with trannies and electrical.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #24
JazzM
6th Gear Member

I was going to say go with a 4.6L out of the X5 but you already mentioned the 4.8L (however that is going to be harder to find). Both motors are excellant in terms of power and relaibility. I'd stay away from the S62 (e39 M5 motor) due to electronic and reliability issues.

Personally I would go with a turbo setup as Tomek already mentioned.

T.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #25
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
If I was in your place I'd be looking for an S38 motor with a turbo. They're bombproof, the sweeds and fins have proven it (with over 1300hp motors)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #26
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
If I was in your place I'd be looking for an S38 motor with a turbo. They're bombproof, the sweeds and fins have proven it (with over 1300hp motors)
but the problem with that is finding a good S38, and if you can't find a decent one the the rebuilt bill for a S38 is very pricey

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #27
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack
but the problem with that is finding a good S38, and if you can't find a decent one the the rebuilt bill for a S38 is very pricey
The rebuild bill is probably less the one for the V10 though

And there are still decent motors in Europe

3.8L FTW

My question though, why the E32? Why not get a newer 7 series with a huge engine already in it. It would definately be cheaper in the long run and you'd already have a V8 or V12 in it, and you'd have a newer car?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #28
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
The rebuild bill is probably less the one for the V10 though

And there are still decent motors in Europe

3.8L FTW

My question though, why the E32? Why not get a newer 7 series with a huge engine already in it. It would definately be cheaper in the long run and you'd already have a V8 or V12 in it, and you'd have a newer car?
true enough it would be cheaper than the V10

I also agree that he should find a E38 with the 4.4, like a 740i than S/C that bad boy

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #29
JazzM
6th Gear Member

The e38's have other issues (suspension and mechanical) that have caused them to depreciate very quickly and therefore become redily available at lower prices.

If you're looking for a bigger car, why not look at the e39. Either with a 4.4L or the 2.8 M52 (both regular and TU version).

Those can be turbo'ed, etc.

T.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #30
Hound
V-Dub in da House

yea that is another choice for me, what I was gonna do was save up and grab an E38 but then this one came into play and it's what I wanted originaly when I ended up getting the benz, so I really couldn't pass it up especially for the deal that I worked out.

At some point yes I want to get an E38. but for now this just makes sense, to keep this, do what i'd like to it and then go from there. Plus with the ammount of money that I have put into cars already and it's only my second car I realised when I saw how much I have spent on both so far and decided that I need to keep this one for a while. Plus it's a good car with a good shell so all in all a good starting point for me which is what I was aiming for.

96 Harliquin Golf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: