Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #31
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Bone stock, my Magnum did consistent 14.5 at the track, and that's with a soft shifting automatic. And before some of you spout off at the mouth about 'Hemi my a$$' take your BMW to the track and let's see what it can do. Until then, you’re no better than any teenage 'ricer' with an inferiority complex.

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #32
O.S.
3rd Gear Member

tlaselva: you got me all figured out man ... I am just a 'ricer' with an inferiority complex.
your judgment is so precise as if you knew me all my life. I could not have said it better myself.

and of course I could not dream of driving such a fine machine as Dodge Magnum, we leave it only to the better, smarter and more refined ones among us.

I'll drive my gutless, slow, under-performing 'POS' e39 540 and be content with it. and in my dreams I would drive a Magnum ... or should I say in my nightmares ...
E34 520 Black - SOLD

Last edited by O.S.; 01-12-2007 at 10:56 PM.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #33
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

^

I think tlaselva has had a few cars that will spank you on the track (drag). Ask him for a race on a track (Minus the wife and daugher in the car).

The Magnum RT is actually around 4200 lbs (4179-4260).
With the 540i SPort being only 3800 lbs, is that not a bigger difference?

The Magnum RT AWD is close to 4393 lbs. Also, Magnum's are automatic, where as your car is a 6speed manual.

If you want to really compare, take your 540i 6M to a track and race against the Magnum STR-8. The SRT-8 is still way cheaper than the 540.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #34
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
^

If you want to really compare, take your 540i 6M to a track and race against the Magnum STR-8. The SRT-8 is still way cheaper than the 540.
How is that a fair comparrison 430hp vs 282hp? Please. Although I would still probably take that bet if the track was a close quarters one, with not too many long straights

The Original comparo of the hemi charger vs the 540i6 is closer to a proper match, in fact the charger should have an edge in the hp department, but it lost regardless.

And as for pricing, a used 540i6 is still cheaper than a magnum or charger. And I would take a used 540i6 over either of those cars any day of the week.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #35
O.S.
3rd Gear Member

I agree with chromius.

why don't we take a Magnum R/T or even an STR-8 to a race track ...
I wonder how many laps it will take me to gain a whole lap on those magnums...
you guys are hilarious ...

I'll take a used e39 540 over most of the cars out there, new or used, faster or slower. I would not drive a magnum even if it had 1000 HP ... because it is butt ugly and looks like a coffin on wheels, and it does not handle at all. Charger has something going for it in the looks department but when I drove it I hated how it handled...
even if the charger or magnum were faster (and they are not ) I would not drive them unless they were the last cars on earth.
E34 520 Black - SOLD
Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #36
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius
How is that a fair comparrison 430hp vs 282hp? Please. Although I would still probably take that bet if the track was a close quarters one, with not too many long straights

The Original comparo of the hemi charger vs the 540i6 is closer to a proper match, in fact the charger should have an edge in the hp department, but it lost regardless.

And as for pricing, a used 540i6 is still cheaper than a magnum or charger. And I would take a used 540i6 over either of those cars any day of the week.
Funny how you bring 'fair' into the comparison when it doesn't benifit you.

Comparing a 4200lbs luxo sedan to a 3800lbs sport sedan? Why is that fair?
Why is it fair your comparing a 70K car when it was new to a 38K car? Is that fair?
Or maybe it's fair that my Z06 even when it was stock can run circles around any production BMW, even though it costs less than a new M3?
Maybe the M3 is junk?
Or is it maybe they are two different vehicles built for two different focus groups?
Or maybe you’re too obtuse to even realize what I'm getting at even though I'm spelling it out for you?
Or maybe I'm just wasting my time?

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph

Last edited by tlaselva; 01-15-2007 at 06:33 PM.
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #37
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaselva
Funny how you bring 'fair' into the comparison when it doesn't benifit you.

Comparing a 4200lbs luxo sedan to a 3800lbs sport sedan? Why is that fair?
Why is it fair your comparing a 70K car when it was new to a 38K car? Is that fair?
Or maybe it's fair that my Z06 even when it was stock can run circles around any production BMW, even though it costs less than a new M3?
Maybe the M3 is junk?
Or is it maybe they are two different vehicles built for two different focus groups?
Or maybe you’re too obtuse to even realize what I'm getting at even though I'm spelling it out for you?
Or maybe I'm just wasting my time?
Calm down there man.... Rage issues much?. What reason do you have to call me obtuse? Go read the posts again, I had no comments directed to you, so keep your smart ass comments to yourself.

What you're talking about has nothing to do with anything I said. I was merely pointing out that comparing a 430hp performance devision car to a standard production model 282hp car isn't a fair comparrison. The SRT8 is the high performance version of that car, therefore it should be compared to the high performance version of the 5 series...ie. M5, Not the 540i.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #38
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

^
I don't think so. The SRT-8 is only $50K. Not $70K+ like the BMW 540i 6Speed manual.

You want to compare a $100K M5 car with a $50K Magnum??? How's that fair. Why not just compare a Dodge Viper with the 540i then?

Come on: Price of a car makes a huge difference in comparisons. When Car and Driver, MotorTrend etc do car comparisons, they try to match up cars with similar prices and function. "As Tested Price" matters!
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 AM   #39
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
^
I don't think so. The SRT-8 is only $50K. Not $70K+ like the BMW 540i 6Speed manual.

You want to compare a $100K M5 car with a $50K Magnum??? How's that fair. Why not just compare a Dodge Viper with the 540i then?

Come on: Price of a car makes a huge difference in comparisons. When Car and Driver, MotorTrend etc do car comparisons, they try to match up cars with similar prices and function. "As Tested Price" matters!
That's not true, when magazines compare best value for money, then sure price becomes an issue, but when they are comparing performance aspects of cars they use things like vehicle type, engine configuration, and power for their comparisons. I have an old car and driver magazine where they are comparing the corvette Z06 to the Ford GT and Dodge viper...are you saying that's not fair because the corvette is cheaper?

Are you saying the corvette would be a better comparrison for the srt8 charger? Your argument just doesn't make sense. Price is used when determining value for money, not for comparing car performance.

There is even a video somewhere around here where Jeremy Clarkson does a direct comparo between the srt8 and the e60 M5.

Hell, might as well even compare a bentley continental to a Ferrari Modena by that logic, since they are around the same price.

Last edited by chromius; 01-16-2007 at 12:14 AM.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #40
93LE
1st Gear Newbie

At times like this, I'm ashamed to be lumped in with some of the other insecure BMW drivers. Hate to break it to some of you BMW snobs, I've owned many cars faster than my 540i-6spd.

tlaselva, I admire your efforts and patience in trying to educate the masses
93LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #41
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LE
At times like this, I'm ashamed to be lumped in with some of the other insecure BMW drivers. Hate to break it to some of you BMW snobs, I've owned many cars faster than my 540i-6spd.

Well that's an idiotic comment, who here said that the 540i6 is the fastest car on the road? That's not at all what this discussion is about, read the thread again. Thanks for your input, but it was rather useless.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #42
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LE

Best comment.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #43
europrince
6th Gear Member

I'm liking this debate
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #44
O.S.
3rd Gear Member

I am so sorry I posted this.

it sometimes so funny though when people only read 10 lines out of few pages and make conclusions of what's going on ...

(note to self: never do that no matter how tempting it is)

I wonder how young are the people who get so easily upset with other people's opinions?
E34 520 Black - SOLD
Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #45
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.S.
I am so sorry I posted this.

it sometimes so funny though when people only read 10 lines out of few pages and make conclusions of what's going on ...

(note to self: never do that no matter how tempting it is)

I wonder how young are the people who get so easily upset with other people's opinions?

SCREW YOU!!!

oh wait, sorry, i didn't read the whole thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: