Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Custom Sub Box...

Has anyone ever tried to build a custom sub enclosure similar to the ones that you can buy from BSW(?) which mount directly to the rear deck?

I'm thinking that's the only way to get a decent sound through the rear of my e36. It's got a folding rear seat, but no ski passage; and I don't want to leave my seats down all the time.

Any pics would be really appreciated, or suggestions on how to make this type of box config work really well.

Cheers!

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

I am building myself a simple box right now just because with the crappy weather and being dark all the time I can't be bothered to do much on the car. But come spring time I am going to build something much nicer. I was thinking about the same setup under the rear deck.

It's pretty uneven under there so you would need some sort of flat panel to mount to. I think BSW also have some sort of quick release. The other thing to consider is the depth of your sub. If it was really deep, the box might hang down too far and look wierd.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

In my old 93 320 I was running a 1 cubic foot box with a Infinity cappa perfect 12' sub, and I had plenty of bass. No ski bag or folding seats.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

witch one are you talking about???they are easy to do...well for me anyways....
Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
witch one are you talking about???they are easy to do...well for me anyways....
Paul,

I want a design similar to this, but not quite so boxey looking. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...I=344/_cid=156

What I would love to do is create a fiberglass panel to hold my 2 12" free-air Kaption's & somehow open up the rear deck so the sound could get into the cabin cleaner.

I've currently got the 12's in a rather large & cumbersome box (prolly about 1.5 cubes too small for optimum sealed configuration) and it doesn't sound bad but frequency response is cut down cause of the lack of air volume & efficiency is brutal at best. With the seats down, it does improve a bit, but I'm still not impressed.

Who thought getting bass through those back seats would be so difficult!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower_Level
Has anyone ever tried to build a custom sub enclosure similar to the ones that you can buy from BSW(?) which mount directly to the rear deck?

I'm thinking that's the only way to get a decent sound through the rear of my e36. It's got a folding rear seat, but no ski passage; and I don't want to leave my seats down all the time.

Any pics would be really appreciated, or suggestions on how to make this type of box config work really well.

Cheers!
I don't know about you but I always built my boxes according to speaker. The manual of the speaker usually has the dimensions for best results in output.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

lets see if understood you,you are thicking of a freeair type of set-up,that can be lefted out the way right??well have thought about a spare tire box??I know you will loss your spare tire,are you sure you what 12s and not 8s??
Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

definately would rather 12's than 8's. I have never been a fan of the sound produced from an 8".

What I want is to be able to utilize the entire trunk's air volume as my box; but I need to find a way to effectively mount the 12's to the rear deck since there isn't enough accessible area to mount to the framework of my rear seats.

I saw the BSW box & was thinking a design like that; only modified for appearance could do what I wanted.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower_Level
definately would rather 12's than 8's. I have never been a fan of the sound produced from an 8".

What I want is to be able to utilize the entire trunk's air volume as my box; but I need to find a way to effectively mount the 12's to the rear deck since there isn't enough accessible area to mount to the framework of my rear seats.

I saw the BSW box & was thinking a design like that; only modified for appearance could do what I wanted.
I find 8' are better at producing kick type of bass for music like dance or pop while 12' are great for deep bass for music like hiphop.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

yes it can been done,I have said in past anything can be done,the BSW sub boxes are designed for your set-up well close anyways......8s are more an SQ sub,and 10s or are for SQ++.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #11
Skeezix
2nd Gear Member

You should do what I almost did with my E36. Get a piece of 1inch MDF, use it to separate the trunk from the car and mount your 2 12's there. Seal off your trunk totally, use it as your box. You have the subs made for it already, and you still get most of your trunk space without sacrificing your spare tire. You do not want ANY open air space from your trunk to your cabin. Also, this will attach your subs to your car, meaning you'll feel the lower notes better which will actually make you think you're hearing them.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #12
tominizer
6th Gear Member

First, you do not need a box like in that link........ or any "box" for free-air subs. You need to build a flat MDF or fibreglass panel under the back deck and seal it to the deck....... enlarge the factory speaker holes, attach your subs and then that's that.

Ideally, for free-air (or IB) setups, you want to seal off the entire trunk from the cabin so the back pressure wave doesn't leak into the cabin............. but that's not 100% necessary unless you're building the ultimate SQ car. However, you can achieve some of that........... what I did a few years back was take off the rear deck trim panel (top), enlarge the speaker holes to accomodate the 12"ers I was putting in from the underside, bolt the panel to the underside of the rear deck......... then sprayed expanding foam between the rear deck and the panel to seal the panel to the deck in an air-tight manner and finally trimmed out the holes and such when the expanding foam had dried. I then put a layer of sound deadening on the top of the deck and that was that. It worked rather well for what it was and is TOTALLY DIY-er friendly.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Tom,

I know I don't need a box like the BSW for what I'm thinking of doing; but I was using it as a "template" of sorts to get the rough design down.

Do you by chance have pics of your old set-up? I'd love to see what someone else with a similar idea came up with as a design.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
tboy356
Ripp a Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
First, you do not need a box like in that link........ or any "box" for free-air subs. You need to build a flat MDF or fibreglass panel under the back deck and seal it to the deck....... enlarge the factory speaker holes, attach your subs and then that's that.

Ideally, for free-air (or IB) setups, you want to seal off the entire trunk from the cabin so the back pressure wave doesn't leak into the cabin............. but that's not 100% necessary unless you're building the ultimate SQ car. However, you can achieve some of that........... what I did a few years back was take off the rear deck trim panel (top), enlarge the speaker holes to accomodate the 12"ers I was putting in from the underside, bolt the panel to the underside of the rear deck......... then sprayed expanding foam between the rear deck and the panel to seal the panel to the deck in an air-tight manner and finally trimmed out the holes and such when the expanding foam had dried. I then put a layer of sound deadening on the top of the deck and that was that. It worked rather well for what it was and is TOTALLY DIY-er friendly.

do u got any pics...

tboy356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.

i wanna do this to...my cars gunna start doin shows..i need somehtign clean yet usful

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: