Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

scraping noise from behind odometer

Well recently Ive noticed a noise from in or around my steering wheel area. A scraping noise appears to come from behind my speedo area.

Ive done some diags and noticed that if the steering wheel is at its lowest postion I get this scraping type noise when in gear and driving off, louder when car is cold. Noise goes if I put steering wheel back in the top position. In neutral no noise even when reving.

Turning the wheel makes no difference either.

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Bimmerized
In BMW We Trust!

Send a message via MSN to Bimmerized
I hear this too!
Usually I hear it when the car is cold, or when I am high-reving!
It's not constant though!

It's maybe a stupid guess, but could it be the buzzer of when you leave the lights on and open the door????
Bimmerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
dbworld4k
Addict

Hobbits. They live there.

Imola Red / Imola Red ///M5
E60 SSK, Dice iPod, GT Exhaust
BCR Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Daytona Race, Michelin PSS

335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
H&R Sport, CF diffuser, BMW Performance SSK

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerized
I hear this too!
Usually I hear it when the car is cold, or when I am high-reving!It's not constant though!

It's maybe a stupid guess, but could it be the buzzer of when you leave the lights on and open the door????
Yep exactly.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Had that in my old Tercel. Cold days it would be scraping, sounded like the plastic gears were slipping or something on the speedo. The faster I went the louder it got. Once the car was warmed up it would stop. You could probablly rip your cluster out and lube up those gears. That might help you out. Or check the condition of the gears and replace them.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is
Had that in my old Tercel. Cold days it would be scraping, sounded like the plastic gears were slipping or something on the speedo. The faster I went the louder it got. Once the car was warmed up it would stop. You could probablly rip your cluster out and lube up those gears. That might help you out. Or check the condition of the gears and replace them.
Sounds good, but mine doesnt make any noises once the steering wheel is raised to its highest point, but does make the scraping noise once its lowered.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
rdtx2005
3rd Gear Member

i get that too... but i think it's because of the cold weather that makes the meters go funky... at least i have an extra cluster just incase something broke
Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtx2005
i get that too... but i think it's because of the cold weather that makes the meters go funky... at least i have an extra cluster just incase something broke
Any reason why the sound wont be present if the steering wheel is raised?

When I removed the lower trim panel to investigate the amount of plugs and wires in there really put me off. I probably will try some sort of method of elimination, EG remove the lower knee bolster and drive, then remove the cluster and drive until hopefully I can locate the source.

Interestingly the BMW technical CD TIS states that the noise can be the throttle cable but I tried re-routing it to no avail.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:

It hasnt been occuring now these last 2-3 days, but then again it comes and goes.

Maybe next time I will remove the cluster completely and take it for a test drive. I wasnt aware that the cluster had any gears or mechanics inside of it that could make noise however?

Cheers
Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

^^ Maybe I could be wrong. I haven't removed any clusters from BMW's. Maybe someone else could chime in.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
^^ Maybe I could be wrong. I haven't removed any clusters from BMW's. Maybe someone else could chime in.
Update really..

Well today I removed the lower knee bolster aswell as the speedo. The noise is still evident.

It can only be heard when steering is at its lowest point. I listened carefully to where the steering column meets the firewall and no noise there, its all coming from in or around the upper drivers side dash region.

Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Updated with a video file, you can clearly hear the sound at around 40seconds into the mpeg

Mpeg
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

That almost sounds like a hole in the firewall. It sounds like the engine gets louder in the cabin when you move your steering wheel down, when you do that the hole opens up. That's what I hear, from your movie clip.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
That almost sounds like a hole in the firewall. It sounds like the engine gets louder in the cabin when you move your steering wheel down, when you do that the hole opens up. That's what I hear, from your movie clip.
Thats what I thought aswell, but when I go under the firewall area where the shaft column meets enters the engine bay there is no sound there?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
b1mmer
1st Gear Newbie

Just an update really, observed something that could be important in diagnosing this irritating problem of mine.

The noise basically doesnt occur if I turn the wheel a quarter of a turn to the left or right and leave the wheel in that position. If I centre the steering then the noise is there ( if the wheel is in lowest point as usual ).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: