Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #16
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
I love my XM radio... could never go back to regular FM/AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I tried satellite radio on a couple of my dad's company Lexus'es. The radios I tried were part of the optional Mark Levinson sound system.

The sound quality is somewhat halfway between AM and FM. But I think this preceptable difference in sound quality was due mostly to the hi-fi nature of the Mark Levinson itself. If installed on a crappier system- ie, OEM BMW, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I myself wouldn't pay for it however. It's not like the GTA has a shortage of radio stations to listen to. And I don't like the idea of having to pay for crappier quality. For the price they are asking, the quality should at least be at FM level.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #18
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
I myself wouldn't pay for it however. It's not like the GTA has a shortage of radio stations to listen to. And I don't like the idea of having to pay for crappier quality. For the price they are asking, the quality should at least be at FM level.
They were obviously poorly installed or poor units in general... My XM radio sounds **EXACTLY** like playing a CD.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #19
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncise
They were obviously poorly installed or poor units in general... My XM radio sounds **EXACTLY** like playing a CD.
The sat radio function in the Lexus is built into the OEM radio- all you got to do is activate it.

If anything, the Mark Levinson with the built in satellite would be among the best as far as satellite sound quality goes. It's the absolute best OEM sound system I have ever tried. It puts my home theatre to shame- it's that good.

All the satellite stations I sampled were no way close to CD quality.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #20
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

I Love it, owned mine for about 8 months now at $7US a month. Took a 2 year subscription. I just use my trustee cig lighter and 91.1fm. No hard wire for me, don't need it and I find the quality of the sound is better then FM. And I transfer it from car to car. The deck I have was close to $200USD when it came out, pretty expensive seeing you can get decks for under $50US now. Or free with a 6 month subscription. XM you can buy the deck and get I think 3 months free right now.

I think XM is in trouble as well, they just lost Nascar to Sirius(not like anyone on here Cares, if it was F1 it would be different). XM has Opie and Anthony, Opra, but that's nothing compared to Stern and Martha. Right now XM has almost 2 million more subscriptions then sirius.

I can listen to Sirius online with my account. And when I'm not using it in the car I bring it in the house and use it on the deck by the pool. Now they brought out the stiletto(sp?) Satellite Walkman with WI-FI for indoors, so you never loose the signal.

To each there own, but I'll stay with my Sirius. Or if you have the money get both.

Here's the comparison chart for Sirius and XM prices are in USD.
http://radio.about.com/od/satelliter...comparecht.htm

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #21
paul
5th Gear Member

Its like listening to a CD
Old 12-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
I do alot of traveling to the states in the summer when i go racing so its perfect for road trips.

LOL... you're welcome!

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #23
fukenricen
5th Gear Member

stephanie paul has me worried because hes always listening to the playboy channel on that thing.

wooooooo woooooooooo
AntiRice
11.0@130mph
fukenricen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #24
paul
5th Gear Member

lol
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #25
e30bim
Banned

I have had xm for 5 or 6 years now, and I also have had sirius for about 2 now. I listen to XM for the music, and sirius only for howard stern. XM has far better reception. Sirius sounds very digitalized. Howard stern is a laugh and a half everyday so if you're not hardwiring it, I would get sirius. If you are get XM it sounds 80% of CD quality where sirius is 50% cd quality. I have had it installed through my Alpine deck as well as my pioneer bluetooth deck. I think the alpine sounded slightly clearer. Any more questions shoot. Or just get both! Treat yourself if you drive alot. You will never run into not having something to listen to.
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #26
e30bim
Banned

Oh yeah I also have a boombox sirius unit which is cool as shit!
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #27
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim
I have had xm for 5 or 6 years now, and I also have had sirius for about 2 now. I listen to XM for the music, and sirius only for howard stern. XM has far better reception. Sirius sounds very digitalized. Howard stern is a laugh and a half everyday so if you're not hardwiring it, I would get sirius. If you are get XM it sounds 80% of CD quality where sirius is 50% cd quality. I have had it installed through my Alpine deck as well as my pioneer bluetooth deck. I think the alpine sounded slightly clearer. Any more questions shoot. Or just get both! Treat yourself if you drive alot. You will never run into not having something to listen to.
Interesting, I found with my (Alpine hard-wired) Sirius certain channels sound clearer than others. "Area33" - one of my favorites sounds close to 80% CD quality as I compare back and fourth through my sources. Channel 40 & 50 aren't anywhere as clear... you find the same thing with those 3 channels?

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #28
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD
Interesting, I found with my (Alpine hard-wired) Sirius certain channels sound clearer than others. "Area33" - one of my favorites sounds close to 80% CD quality as I compare back and fourth through my sources. Channel 40 & 50 aren't anywhere as clear... you find the same thing with those 3 channels?
I've got a hard-wired Clarion deck with a US subscription and I notice the same thing. Some of the channels have that 'tinny' low bit-rate sound you sometimes get when you're listening to internet radio.

I haven't really noticed a huge difference with channels 40 & 50 vs 33, but it definately seems to be more present (noticable) on the less mainstream channels.

I listen to BBC Radio 1 a fair bit - thankfully, it comes in nice and clear.
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #29
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukenricen
stephanie paul has me worried because hes always listening to the playboy channel on that thing.
lol.. i know i know... i blame it all on JP... he's the one that found that damn channel... lmfao...

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #30
Blades
Your opinion is to long

satellite my ass .. sirius cuts out for 1 hour between Toronto and Montreal. I believe XM is better but never had the pleasure of testing it.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: