Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
paul
5th Gear Member

Anyone have sirius radio?

I just installed it.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Boots R
Boots, not boost

How is the reception? Some people tell me it's awesome, and some tell me it sounds the same as radio.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I'm running it using the FM modulator. It sounds OK but I'm wiling to bet if it were hardwired, it'd be a whole different experience.

On that note, I won't be renewing my Sirius contract. It's great for travelling but for the most part in day to day driving, I find myself flipping channels a lot. Maybe it's because I have a US subscription?
carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
paul
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R
How is the reception? Some people tell me it's awesome, and some tell me it sounds the same as radio.
I had problems when i first started it up with static. i was using the FM transmitter. then i found out how to hard wire it in. the sound is mint.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
paul
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe
I'm running it using the FM modulator. It sounds OK but I'm wiling to bet if it were hardwired, it'd be a whole different experience.

On that note, I won't be renewing my Sirius contract. It's great for travelling but for the most part in day to day driving, I find myself flipping channels a lot. Maybe it's because I have a US subscription?
I do alot of traveling to the states in the summer when i go racing so its perfect for road trips.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
David
2nd Gear Member

I ran it through my tape deck so there were no static issues for me. Still though, it didn't sound very good. The talk channels sounded worse than AM. They had a very tin like/hollow sound to them, and the music channels sounded flat. FM sounded better IMO. According to the guys on the the AV forums, this is because they don't have enough bandwidth to accomodate all their stations. I ended up returning mine after a couple of weeks. No way I'm paying 20 bucks a month for that.

Administrator on DetailersClub.com
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

My Deck is Sirius enabled.. How much does the service cost per month?

Do they have any good hiphop / punk / or jazz chanels?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
paul
5th Gear Member

I pay $!4.00
Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
I have it hard-wired into my Alpine deck and it sounds awsome. I'm very happy with it. I personally wanted to get XM as they seem to have better music channels, but Randy wanted Howard Stern and it's cheeper to have two accounts on one bill. Sirius has three good Hip-Hop channels, one good Trance channel, my only complaint is that there is "NO" Reggae (except old school) and no reggaeton channel, I'm not sure if XM has this either though.
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
Seven
Gimme The Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Girl
Sirius is good has about three good Hip-Hop channesl, one good Trance channel my only complaint is that there is "NO" Reggae except old school and no reggaeton channel, I'm not sure if XM has this either though.
I like your taste in music! ... I've been thinking about getting XM or Sirius since I spend so much time in the car ... but, the last thing I want is another monthly bill, especially if I don't get much more than I already do with free radio. One thing I like about Sirius is the option to pay for 3 years up front and then you never pay again ... it's a big chunk of change, but as long as they don't go out of business, will save money in the long run. I've heard that the response to satellite radio hasn't been as good as expected ... so the going out of business thing could be a real concern (especially with what they are paying Howard ).
Old 12-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
I have heard that the only fear is that XM might go out of business not Sirius they seem to have grown more then XM because of Howard. This could be wrong only heard this from someone so I don't know how true it is.
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I totally recommend it... have it hard-wired into my Alpine system. The sound quality is excellent, comparible to CD when I change the sources on the deck. The only complaint is occasional choppy signals (caused by parking garages, bridges, tall buildings, forrest-laden valleys). But hardly get affected by them, Love the fact there's no commercials and you can listen to the same broadcast when you drive outside your city limits. Music-wise, XM might be better, but I bought Sirius mostly for Howard Stern.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
BLACKDEM3N
1st Gear Newbie

How did you hardwire Sirius to your deck?
BLACKDEM3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKDEM3N
How did you hardwire Sirius to your deck?
You'll need a SAT-ready deck first of all. Then order the sirius (or XM) specific tuner for your SAT-ready deck brand. Wiring is simple (power/ground/data/antenna). This will allow you to access the satellite radio via your deck as an additional band on your radio selector (FM/AM/SAT).

If you already purchased an external sat-radio receiver (starmate/dephi), you can buy a docking station (car kit) for that receiver and wire it into your deck's aux-in source (most late-model car stereos allow Ipod or additional source inputs).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #15
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
linds - reggeton gives you cancer

i had the chance to steal a members car for a day. It had serius(sp) radio and a great sound system in it. Have to say i was very very impressed with it, and will probably order it soon.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: