Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #31
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Alright, just because the all mighty deep told me too!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it's a halfass bandaid solution. Removing the first gen DRL's are a must.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #32
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
Who gives a rat's ass? It's DRL! It doesn't do shit to change the appearance of the car...

Deep
Yes it does. You are honestly telling me a car with rear lights on + front low beams + angel eyes + corner lights look the exact same as a car with all of the light off? I'm still lost on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
It doesn't cause a problem when new, but eventually it wears it down once the car is a decade + old. Think of it, two headlights, (2 @ 55W), all clearance lights (6 @ 10 W each), and two rear lights (2 @ 20W each). You have 210W of power drain evertime you turn the car on, so in other words, 17.5A on the alternator, assuming 12V. So yeah, that's significant enough to want to remove it. Not to mention ALL those lights need to be replaced more often because they are always on, and you have a pretty shitty solution to an easy problem. Why didn't BMW do it then like they do it now? 25 W to high beams?
Welcome to my world

Quote:
Still doesn't make sense - I had a 12 year old Honda that didn't have a problem...

Just get a new battery and alternator....

Deep
Do you know how much it costs to replace a battery and alternator? Certainly more expensive than getting your DRLs re-wired.

I'm also annoyed by my daytime running lights. I would like to invest in an HID kit, but I am not, for the sole fact that when I turn my BMW on, all of my lights are on. When I turn on my car, a big jolt of power is already being pulled for the starter. the HID ballast also needs a big jolt of power to create the arc in the actual HID bulb, meaning... blown HID ballasts and a stressed alternator. DRLs? no thanks.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #33
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^on e36's we have similar problems.

I pulled the bulbs out of my highbeams. Why? Because i have 6000K HID's in my low's, and dont want ugly yellow lights next to them.

Yes, halogen's are yellow. All of them. Osram, bla bla bla, yellow.

It makes the car look much cleaner, and as for having lights on during the day? i drive with at least my CCFL's if not my fogs on during the day, believe, me, you'll see the car.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 PM   #34
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Alright, just because the all mighty deep told me too!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it's a halfass bandaid solution. Removing the first gen DRL's are a must.
no need to be a freaking jack ass...

It's alot of discussion over something pretty seemingly useless...

But yet - another wonder of BMW engineering...

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #35
alexm520
2nd Gear Member

Not an expert on this but here is some information from Motor Vehicle Safety act, under Daytime Running Lamps section .....

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...html#Switching

Switching

(54) Subject to subsections (55) and (56), daytime running lamps shall be on continuously when the engine is operating and the master lighting switch is not in the headlamps on position.

(55) Daytime running lamps may switch off

(a) while the automatic transmission control is in the park or neutral position;

(b) while the parking brake is applied; or

(c) after the engine is started but prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time.

(56) A daytime running lamp that is optically combined with a turn signal lamp shall switch off while the turn signal lamp is switched on as a turn signal or hazard warning signal.

(57) Daytime running lamps shall switch off

(a) whenever the master lighting switch is moved to the headlamps on position; and

(b) where the lamps are on a vehicle equipped with concealable headlamps and the master light switch is moved to the headlamps on position, once the headlamps attain the fully open position.

(58) Where the lower beams of the headlamps operating at normal operating voltage are used as daytime running lamps,

(a) it shall not be possible to activate the upper beams of the headlamps except for signalling purposes;

(b) where there is a tell-tale that is automatically activated, and visible to the driver, in dark ambient light conditions to indicate that the tail lamps, licence plate lamps, side marker lamps and parking lamps are switched off, those lamps shall not come on automatically; and

(c) where there is no tell-tale that is automatically activated, the lamps referred to in paragraph (b)

(i) shall come on automatically and remain on in all ambient light conditions, or

(ii) shall come on automatically in dark ambient light conditions.

(59) Despite section S5.5.1 of TSD 108, the lower beams and upper beams of the headlamps may be activated simultaneously when the headlamps are in use as daytime running lamps.

(60) Despite section S5.5.10(d) of TSD 108, daytime running lamps may be wired to flash for signalling purposes.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #36
propr'one
op sucks cock

"
(c) after the engine is started but prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time. "

So you can turn them off, you just have to do it before you start moving.

however it seems the phrasing would imply they have to turn on when you start the car.

Or just never turn your car off

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 12-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #37
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one
"
(c) after the engine is started but prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time. "

So you can turn them off, you just have to do it before you start moving.

however it seems the phrasing would imply they have to turn on when you start the car.

Or just never turn your car off
Huh? It says that it can be off when the car is turned on UNTIL it's put into motion at which time they should turn on.

It would seem you DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE and must use them.

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #38
propr'one
op sucks cock

(55) Daytime running lamps may switch off:
(c) after the engine is started but prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time.

where does it say you have to turn them back on?

Last edited by propr'one; 12-17-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #39
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
(55) Daytime running lamps may switch off:
EXACTLY!

"but prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time" indicates that they must be ON at that time.

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #40
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
^^on e36's we have similar problems.

I pulled the bulbs out of my highbeams. Why? Because i have 6000K HID's in my low's, and dont want ugly yellow lights next to them.

Yes, halogen's are yellow. All of them. Osram, bla bla bla, yellow.

It makes the car look much cleaner, and as for having lights on during the day? i drive with at least my CCFL's if not my fogs on during the day, believe, me, you'll see the car.
I have HID and don't have this issue. Is it because you have an early e36?

When I start my car, my highs turn on at 50% automatically (DRL). And yes, they're slightly yellowish.

But then I just turn my lights to FULL on and my HID kicks in and my DRL disappear. So when I run HID, they are the only headlights on... I never get the ugly yellow at the same time as the HID. (Except when I turn my HIGHs on)
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:53 PM   #41
Axxe

Quote:
no need to be a freaking jack ass...

It's alot of discussion over something pretty seemingly useless...

But yet - another wonder of BMW engineering...

Deep

Yes, BMW can't make cars because you got a lemon. Should I start making other stereo types?

Old 12-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #42
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
You said it puts stress on an old alternator... Get a new alternator and battery and you should be fine!

Deep
LOL. It would put stress on a new alt too. Then it would make the new alt old (eventually with age), so really the 'problem' never went away.

Anywhoodles. DRLs to me are asthetically unappealing. My e30 didn't have them, and I am disabling it on the truck.

I never considered the actual legal ramifcations however.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #43
Axxe

Don't worry about the legalities, most cops don't know WTF is going on, one cop thought that the two oxygen sensors on the exhaus manifold of my buddies civic were spark plugs or nos injectors. Yeah, that dumb.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #44
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Don't worry about the legalities, most cops don't know WTF is going on, one cop thought that the two oxygen sensors on the exhaus manifold of my buddies civic were spark plugs or nos injectors. Yeah, that dumb.
I have worse, I was driving around without my ignition coil cover, I got pulled over randomly and the cop asking what 'those' (ignition coils) were, I told him and he told me 'you know those are illegal right?' I'm like 'no, they're stock, they say BMW right on them'. 'Where is your distributor then?' lol
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #45
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Yes, BMW can't make cars because you got a lemon. Should I start making other stereo types?

Wow - you really can't handle anything about BMW's... They aren't the BEST engineered cars on the planet you know...

If you take a look at the number of people that have the same problem over and over again, that leads to stereo types. I've had 6 friends with BMW's that required new trannies, all ranging in age from5 years to 1 year old.

Royal jack ass...

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: