Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #16
BennyL
7th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_bmw
if you are truly concerned about saftey then you'd know drl's only make people think they are safe. Since they are dimmer then lowbeams in most cars and the clearance and tail lights don't come on. So with drl's only driver's coming head on have a slightly better chance of seeing you while driver's from the side and rear have no lights facing them.

When i went to Young Drivers it was part of the course, they tell you that DRL's are useless and the way to be truly safer and more visible is to turn on your FULL light system.
no man, your mixing it up...

the issue is not having your DRL's on instead of your full lights on, but having DRL's during the day instead of NO lights during the day.

obviously, when its dark, you should turn your full headlights on. but during the day, it is safer to have the DRL's on, so at least when someone looks at your car, they can tell it's running.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #17
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_bmw
if you are truly concerned about saftey then you'd know drl's only make people think they are safe. Since they are dimmer then lowbeams in most cars and the clearance and tail lights don't come on. So with drl's only driver's coming head on have a slightly better chance of seeing you while driver's from the side and rear have no lights facing them.

When i went to Young Drivers it was part of the course, they tell you that DRL's are useless and the way to be truly safer and more visible is to turn on your FULL light system.
Early model e36's all the lights come on, always. That is, parking lights, and tail lights, and lowbeams. While the lowbeams can be turned off, the tails and parking lights are always on regardless.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Who gives a rat's ass? It's DRL! It doesn't do shit to change the appearance of the car...

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #19
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
Who gives a rat's ass? It's DRL! It doesn't do shit to change the appearance of the car...

Deep

Well, in late E30's and early E36's, it actually wears down the alternator and battery, since all that power is always being drawn. The battery never has a chance to fully recharge like in a normal car, where during the day there is almost no power load.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:01 PM   #20
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Well, in late E30's and early E36's, it actually wears down the alternator and battery, since all that power is always being drawn. The battery never has a chance to fully recharge like in a normal car, where during the day there is almost no power load.

I find that very hard to believe... Then again - it is BMW...

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #21
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
No offence to you Estoril, but guys don't just assume what he is saying is true, I doubt he's a lawyer, and as such taking advice whenit comes to laws from someone who is not a professional is very risky. Think of it this way, would you take important medical advice from someone who is not a doctor?

It may be true that you don't need them (although I highly doubt that) but you shouldn't just assume that cause some guy comes out of noware and says "DRL's aren't illegal i checked" that he is correct.

Just a friendly suggestion.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #22
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

what is DRL day running lights?
Old 12-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #23
Axxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
I find that very hard to believe... Then again - it is BMW...

Deep
What, that the lights don't stay on all the time?

Old 12-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #24
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
What, that the lights don't stay on all the time?
That it would drain the battery so badly that it actually caused a problem...

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #25
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

SO if i bring car from US and they say YOU NEED DRL its all BS?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #26
Axxe

It doesn't cause a problem when new, but eventually it wears it down once the car is a decade + old. Think of it, two headlights, (2 @ 55W), all clearance lights (6 @ 10 W each), and two rear lights (2 @ 20W each). You have 210W of power drain evertime you turn the car on, so in other words, 17.5A on the alternator, assuming 12V. So yeah, that's significant enough to want to remove it. Not to mention ALL those lights need to be replaced more often because they are always on, and you have a pretty shitty solution to an easy problem. Why didn't BMW do it then like they do it now? 25 W to high beams?

Old 12-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #27
Axxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER
SO if i bring car from US and they say YOU NEED DRL its all BS?
No, you NEED to have it because you are under Transport Canada's juristiction until the car is registered in Ontario. Then once you've gone through all the red tape, you can remove it again.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #28
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
It doesn't cause a problem when new, but eventually it wears it down once the car is a decade + old. Think of it, two headlights, (2 @ 55W), all clearance lights (6 @ 10 W each), and two rear lights (2 @ 20W each). You have 210W of power drain evertime you turn the car on, so in other words, 17.5A on the alternator, assuming 12V. So yeah, that's significant enough to want to remove it. Not to mention ALL those lights need to be replaced more often because they are always on, and you have a pretty shitty solution to an easy problem. Why didn't BMW do it then like they do it now? 25 W to high beams?
Still doesn't make sense - I had a 12 year old Honda that didn't have a problem...

Just get a new battery and alternator....

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #29
Axxe

When did I say my alternator is dead? Or battery?

Old 12-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #30
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

You said it puts stress on an old alternator... Get a new alternator and battery and you should be fine!

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: