Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Deleting DRL's is NOT illegal in Ontario!

Guys,

removing or deleting DRL is NOT, I say NOT illegal in Ontario.

DRL's are mandated by Transport Canada (Federal body), and apply to all new (or used) vehicles imported to Canada by either the manufacturer (aka, "importer) or by an individual.

Once the car is registered by an individual (at least in Ontario) or by a person, then the Highway Traffic Act (Provincial body) takes over (rather than Transport Canada), and it does NOT say ANYWHERE that DRL's are required.

HTA also does not reference Transport Canada rules, so again, from that point of view it is perfectly alright to disable them.

Dealers, and 99.9% of mechanics are totally ignorant (read: phukin' stupid) when it comes to laws regrading DRL's.

A few years ago, I investigated this in great detail - talked to the Transport Canada people in Ottawa, and the Provincial people about the HTA, and both assured me (which I knew beforehand) that there is NOTHING AT ALL in Ontario to prohibit anyone disabling them.

Look up the HTA - I think it's under "equipment", and you will see that there is nothing there about them.

So, if a dealer or mechanic tells you that they are required by law, tell them they are full of shiet, and that they should read-up on laws before mis-informing the public.
Go somewhere else for repairs - don't deal with morons.

If you're close to NY state, drive down to a BMW dealer, and they will disable them for you. This applies to E46 models; if you have the E36, then a simple relay (US model) will do the trick. Do a Google search on this relay - it will pop up - Ron Stygar had a posting about it long time ago.

Alright?!

BTW, I disabled mine when the ellipsoids were installed. Because the DRL's would fire up the high beam immediatelly upon engine igniting, and because H1 quartz halogens bulbs are highly suceptable to voltage spikes (which happens when you turn the engine ON, and OFF), I disabled mine by fitting a different BMW relay.
H1 bulbs are expensive to replace when they burn out.

Here is the link to Ron Stygar,
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ng_lights.html

It's relay part no. 65 35 8 370 510 which BMW dealer part departments sell.
In my case, all it took was to remove the Canadian DRL relay and replace it with the one above (US version), and no more DRL's.

Last edited by EstorilM3; 12-15-2006 at 10:57 PM.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
rendered
6th Gear Member

Well Done!
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Gamite

so print this out and bring it to the dealer.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Godspeed
2nd Gear Member

Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
so print this out and bring it to the dealer.
I wouldn't bother, because they won't read it, and as I said, they're stupid about the DRL's.

Simply, don't waste your time by going to a Canadian BMW dealer or garage to disable them - do it yourself or drive over to NY State and have a BMW dealer there disable them.

Arguing with the dealers here is a total waste of time, and all that's gonna do is raise your blood pressure.

I've tried, trust me!
Even talked to a well known performance shop in NW Toronto who shall remain nameless - hint; they're an authorised shop for a well known US BMW "tuner". Got nowhere with them - they're just as dense as a brick.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Godspeed
2nd Gear Member

Why are you so angry about this?
Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed
Normally I would agree with that, however, because of BMW's idiotic way of wiring-up the DRL's for Canada, there was no option but to disable them if you want to run with significantly better and safer lamps which the ellipsoids provide over the stock.

Most E36 (if not all?) are wired up in such a way that the DRL's turn on automatically by themselves when the engine is turned on. This creates a voltage spike which kills the H1 (or H4) bulbs in no time. To boot, they've dedicated the HIGH beam (!!!!) for the DRL's which are too bright to as function as DRL's - you will be blinding the drivers coming towards you.

The proper way for BMW to set up the DRL's would have been to dedicate the low beam (at maybe 50% of normal output), and have them come on when you release the hand brake (which some Hondas do).
Old 12-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Why are you so angry about this?
Not angry - it's just that my patience is short when dealing with people who don't know what they're talking about and spread lies.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

There is one thing to consider:

Does the "Safety" Standards when you register a car or transfer ownership state that “day time running” lights must be operational?

I remember buying a car from Auction that was still under warranty where the stupid Day Time lights were not functioning. The dealer had to take the interior apart to find the faulty ground. I had to get this done before I could get my safety certificate.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM3
Normally I would agree with that, however, because of BMW's idiotic way of wiring-up the DRL's for Canada, there was no option but to disable them if you want to run with significantly better and safer lamps which the ellipsoids provide over the stock.
I run my ellipsoids with DRL and have no problems....

Quote:
Most E36 (if not all?) are wired up in such a way that the DRL's turn on automatically by themselves when the engine is turned on. This creates a voltage spike which kills the H1 (or H4) bulbs in no time. To boot, they've dedicated the HIGH beam (!!!!) for the DRL's which are too bright to as function as DRL's - you will be blinding the drivers coming towards you.

The proper way for BMW to set up the DRL's would have been to dedicate the low beam (at maybe 50% of normal output), and have them come on when you release the hand brake (which some Hondas do).
Your DRL are not full high beams.

They are your high beam bulbs running at a really low output. They don't really put any light down on the road, but just make it safer for other vehicles to notice you.
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Deleting DRL's was never illegal, just like removing airbags isn't either.
On 96-99 e36's it's super easy to disable DRL's too.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It’s habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I’m Nelson, and I’m a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36
Your DRL are not full high beams.

They are your high beam bulbs running at a really low output. They don't really put any light down on the road, but just make it safer for other vehicles to notice you.
Early e36's were lowbeams at full wattage.
Highbeam DRL's as you said are only running at 50% wattage. (25watt)
In Europe they have the city lights which are only 5w.

Using highbeam at 50% wattage as running lights is normal. Toyota's and Honda's do this too for example.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
northern_bmw
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

if you are truly concerned about saftey then you'd know drl's only make people think they are safe. Since they are dimmer then lowbeams in most cars and the clearance and tail lights don't come on. So with drl's only driver's coming head on have a slightly better chance of seeing you while driver's from the side and rear have no lights facing them.

When i went to Young Drivers it was part of the course, they tell you that DRL's are useless and the way to be truly safer and more visible is to turn on your FULL light system.
northern_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
There is one thing to consider:

Does the "Safety" Standards when you register a car or transfer ownership state that “day time running” lights must be operational?

I remember buying a car from Auction that was still under warranty where the stupid Day Time lights were not functioning. The dealer had to take the interior apart to find the faulty ground. I had to get this done before I could get my safety certificate.
NO!

Again, a situation where people assume there is a law, but there isn't one.
I can't recall exactly what tests are performed in order for a vehicle to pass the Inspection (been a while, like I said, since I looked into the DRL matter), but there is nothing that says you must have them operational to pass.

If, OTOH, you are importing a vehicle from another country, then you must have them working, since at that time (and at that time only), you fall under the jurisdiction of Transport Canada.

Mechanics have a "hit-list" of things they have to inspect for. For some reason they're unwilling to show you that list (a cynic might say they don't even have have, they're simply wininging it). You have to go to or speak to the Ontario Transportation Ministry to see what's on that list.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #15
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Mechanics have a "hit-list" of things they have to inspect for. For some reason they're unwilling to show you that list (a cynic might say they don't even have have, they're simply wininging it). You have to go to or speak to the Ontario Transportation Ministry to see what's on that list.
Um, it's on the back of a safety inspection. If you want, I can go grab mine from the glove box and post it up.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: