Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #16
tominizer
6th Gear Member

JL has a beast that does both, Kicker does, DD does........ TREO does. Buddy of mine out west built a box with two TREO TSX 10 and hit 153 db certified (USAC) with it. TREO also has an 8" driver called the SSi 8" that you'd swear it was a 12" or something. Brand new Jag with Alpine F1, DLS components, ARC Audio Robert Zeff signature series and one TREO SSi 8". Oh yeah...... IDMAX.

Bottom line is suggest to him to get something of good quality............ otherwise, you ain't his friend

Last edited by tominizer; 12-19-2006 at 03:29 PM.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #17
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^agree and LEAP is one crazy ass program too...but no one here is going to pay for custom boxes at all so the pre made boxes live on and on..and the good stuff that you can by there no one that ask for these at all....most of guys here have the lower end of things in there cars and that is fine too..but when I ask them their buget for the system they tell me less then the middeim of stuff out there....
Old 12-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #18
tominizer
6th Gear Member

^^^

You got that right brother. It's hilarious how people want this and that........... and then end up with flee market style junk that sounds like total crap.......... and stuff subs in 1/2" plywood nail gunn-ed boxes with no glue to be seen anywhere. And they don't understand why it sounds like crap compared to other things they've heard. They don't understand why that $20 box and $55 sub won't play so good.

I tell them this......... see that car over there that pounds and sounds fantastic, that guy spent $150 to have his box designed with LEAP..... and then another $250+ for that box. Next time he goes to spend money on audio, he doesnt' have to touch that sub and box because it's done right the first time. There's no real need to upgrade unless his/her goals have changed that go beyond the specs of the equipment. Whereas I see other dudes/ladies that change their gear like underwear and spend over the years mad money............ never really achieving anything much.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #19
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

do it right or go home,and listen to the ones that know their shit.....why I saided in this way is I have in car audio for 20 years and a judge for 3 years....I dont your back ground tominizer....
Old 12-23-2006, 04:38 AM   #20
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Just a question, he is putting in a 328i, and the back of the seats are metal? How is that going to work?
vegabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #21
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
Most importantly is that you MUST have the right sized enclosure for the driver to work properly as spec'd. You CANNOT take a high end sub or an Sq sub and toss it in a pre-made box and expect it to sound awesome. If you do that, you are a moron. To get the right box designed, you're likely going to have to pay for that design work. Most good designers use the TS driver parameters and enter it on software called LEAP.

Then, you'll need someone competent to have the box built properly.
Most people dont realize how absolutely essential this is. I have 2 (older) Premier 10's (TS-W105DVC) powered off a clarion 1500. I had them in a Bassworx ported box, and the sounded alright. But, they had no low-end extension - no earth-shaking bass, and they were really peaky. I put them in well-designed, 5/8"MDF glued/screwed/caulked ported boxes tuned to 33hz - and just about crapped my pants the difference was unbelievable.

But as sub brands go - i tried a Boston G5-12 in a sealed box - and it pounded like crazy! Tight, and clean, and super quick for a 12. Lots of bottom end too. Plus, it is designed for small sealed enclosures - so you can fit it really easy into your trunk and have space left over. You have to feed it lots of power though. Like 800RMS per sub.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #22
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^Like I said once some people here are cheap as hell so they do and this for an 100 bucks.....I build boxes from 300 to 600 bucks.........
Old 12-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #23
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I use to build boxes............ but ever since people go to Crappy Tire or Future-rama or where-ever else for a $60 pre-made sub box....... and good-ole-me ran out of breath trying to explain how the real world works.......... I don't bother anymore.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #24
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^^X2.......cheers....you get what you pay for........
Old 12-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #25
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
I used pre fab boxes for my first set up and never have again. Junk Junk Junk!

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #26
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Do the drives comes with the size of enclouser to build and how do we know it tuned properly (ported). Also, how will the placement of the sub effect the sound, or does it?
Old 12-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #27
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

sorry for the thousands of questions guys, i am just tryin to edumacate myself
Old 12-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #28
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
Do the drives comes with the size of enclouser to build and how do we know it tuned properly (ported). Also, how will the placement of the sub effect the sound, or does it?
yes most of them have this on their web sits...and for placing the sub box,not really at all....but to the RTA meter yes,but I don't do that all....
Old 12-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #29
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Talking wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
sorry for the thousands of questions guys, i am just tryin to edumacate myself
It is all good man...just as long as you listen to us...cheers....
Old 12-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #30
fastfive40
1st Gear Newbie

quick question. you guys mention the pre-built boxes from retailers are junk, what about boxes that have been built and spec'd around a manufacturers sub and sold as a system like this one:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_e...u=1&page_id=18
fastfive40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: