Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
Willy
2nd Gear Member

e30 looking to upgrade

Need some help....

Ice ain't that important to me (no offense), but the stereo that came with my car is pretty bad. It's an 87 e30 cab. I like some bass but I'm not going with the big box in the trunk and big amp type of system. I think the stereos that come standard in todays mid to high end cars would be sufficient for me in terms of sound quality.

So. This is what I got so far, as a gift a buddy got me the Alpine CDA-9875 head unit. I found out that the e30's take 5 1/4 size speakers. So I picked up some used Alpine speakers (box says 150W peak power, 30W RMS) and 2 used Pioneers (130W, 25W nom.)

pls. note that I'm new with stereo upgrades so sorry if these Q's and the info sound dumb.

-What am I missing to get the sound I want?

-Where do I go from here?

-Can you recommend an installer in the North York, Markham area.

-an alarm as-well if you've got any suggestions.

-Pricing avgs. for install and alarm.

Thanks for looking me over.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

hey dude. dont worry about the questions. we were all newbs once.

-the e30s can sound decent with just speaker upgrades. heck, even a deck upgrade can make a major difference. you got a nice deck. if you want some more bass, you can go with a shallow sub (JL, Clarion, and Pioneer make subs that only have a mounting depth of 4-5" and only need a tiny box and amp.) you might be surprised what the 5 1/4's do though. i would say, get that done, then if you need more bump, ask about a shallow sub.

-you can only go up. you just need to get it installed!

-installer - custom audio & video in newmarket is an awesome shop. i've seen their work, its good. i bought some stuff there awhile ago.
linkie

-they will do alarms as well. alarms arent cheap to put into e30s because of the complex wiring. but give CA&V a call, they will give you good info.

-install - since you've already got the parts, probably under $100. for the alarm, you'll have to buy the alarm ($1-300) then the install will probably be $150 or so. (its complicated, remember?)

cheers dude
Old 03-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^yes to the newbie part,what is buget that you are looking at for one..how much are looking for??
Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Willy
2nd Gear Member

hey guys

thanks for the replies. well, i'll check out that place up in newmarket. i'm far but not that far from there. if the alarm is tricky like you guys say i'll want it installed properly.

as for a budget from here on in with the deck and speakers already covered i really don't want to spend more than 5-6 more hundred. hopfully it'll be enough.

any suggestions on alarm brands? my buddy had 1 that had a display controller with info on it and a pager. thought it was pretty good since i have an older type on my other car now and i'm always wondering if i locked up or not.

thanks again,
Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

for just the installs/alarm - ya 5-600 should cover it. a 2-way pager alarm will run probably around 300 though....as to brands, maybe paul would have a better idea. i like the pager alarms too, if i already didnt have a 1-way one, i'd go for it.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

I don't like alarm to much,if a pro wants what you have well he's got it,I usealy just put in 50 or so in that stock...for alarm that can't be scaned you are looking at 800 and up...WOW.....auto pager,code alarm,bulldog,blackwidow and there some may out there...
Old 03-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Willy
2nd Gear Member

cool guys, i'll look into it. see what my options are. my main concern is the install, wiring for the alam and stuff. thanks for the help guys. oh ya 1 more thing. i know in home stereos the wiring make a difference in the sound quality. is this an issue or don't even worry about it?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

well, to an extent. if your pulling big power, then yes, you need big wires. you're going to be installing replacement speakers in the OEM locations - the installer will probably just use the stock wires. they will work well enough until you decide to run a separate amplifier for them. then you need bigger speaker wires.

moral: in this situation, dont worry about it
Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
Willy
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys
Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
tominizer
6th Gear Member

With that gear, you're not going to get much in the way of bass at all. You'll need to look into a small amp and a mini sub setup.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
Willy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
With that gear, you're not going to get much in the way of bass at all. You'll need to look into a small amp and a mini sub setup.

any ideas? i've seen those tubes in the past.... how bout those. can they be secured somehow in the trunk so they don't roll around?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

the bazooka bass tubes? hahha yea ive seen them in the past too. you can screw anything to the floor. i would just run one 10" shallow sub in a sealed box with a small amp, if thats what you wanted. it would take up way less room than a bazooka or similar thing. plus, it would sound great, nice and clean. not overly loud, mind you, but i dont think thats what your goin for.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^I have judge a couple of cars back whan I was doing that,and sound pretty good for what they are and they save on space too...
Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
Willy
2nd Gear Member

hey guys

ummmm.....what do you think that 10" and shallow box will run me with the amp.

p.s. anyone got this setup they'd like to un-load?

thanks guys
Old 03-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #15
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

well i'll give you the price for a clarion, cause thats what i deal with - the sub itself would go for about $150 (SFW1051 link)

rated for 300RMS, i have an amp i could sell you for $60 that would power it fine, i've tested it with other subs and it bumps some.

to build a simple sealed box would cost ~60 or so. depends on how big/covering/etc. so overall you're looking at ~270-300. you can probably get used stuff on eBay if you want to shop around. paul may be able to get you prices too.

pm me if you want more details.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: