Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
countrybimm
peelin' not dealin'

98' M3 twin screw issues.

i am currently considering having a twin screw supercharger installed my my 98 m3..its a southern car with approx. 95,000km and im wondering how this is going to affect my reliability...i would be putting in a aftermarket clutch in with the car at the same time as the supercharger...not driven in winter, not a millionaire so cant afford to have it in the shop every week..if anyone is running a m3 with a twin screw plz email Neil_buehner@hotmail.com i would like to talk about the downsides of one.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I do not have a twin screw installed. Although I've been following the development of the Eurosport kit since it was pre-production. I too am (hopefully) planning on picking up a non-intercooled kit. The kit itself if installed properly is reliable, there are guys in the states who have put over 40,000 miles on them already, plus auto-xing and tracking them.

Before installing them just have your motor looked over my a comptent mechanic, have a compression test performed. And don't forget safety first, don't cheap out on brakes and tires, you'll need a good set with +400hp under your right foot.

There is a member on the board who has a Eurosport twin screw installed, although I'm not his spokesperson so I'll let him reply himself.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

If you do this you must tune it right,it is a sweet kit to good with and it looks almost stock whan you pop the hood open so not too many people will know,one thing get the head gasket too....if I had an s52 in my car that is what I would have too.....T.S.S.C....
Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

You don't need a headgasket for the current Twin Screw kits, and manufacturer's offer software/tuning included with the kit.

A headgasket will probably be needed to run a smaller pulley or a larger compressor though.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
countrybimm
peelin' not dealin'

im thinking about having the guys from kristenson racing developments install it, joe and praeben(sp) really seem to know there cars....im 23 and know a fair bit about cars, but not enough to do the install myself, i do know that a clutch is definately needed, any thoughts on which make to go with AA seems to be a good way to go from what i have read...as for brakes, im running stock brakes i dont think i will need a upgrade provided i dont drive like a idiot..is there going to be driveline issues at all?..i really dont want to put a upgraded rear end and driveshaft into it...if anyone knows the guy with twin screw right now can u give me his email or anything?...i make decent money, but constant tuning would kill me.......
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:32 AM   #6
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Send a message via ICQ to notjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybimm
im thinking about having the guys from kristenson racing developments install it, joe and praeben(sp) really seem to know there cars....im 23 and know a fair bit about cars, but not enough to do the install myself, i do know that a clutch is definately needed, any thoughts on which make to go with AA seems to be a good way to go from what i have read...as for brakes, im running stock brakes i dont think i will need a upgrade provided i dont drive like a idiot..is there going to be driveline issues at all?..i really dont want to put a upgraded rear end and driveshaft into it...if anyone knows the guy with twin screw right now can u give me his email or anything?...i make decent money, but constant tuning would kill me.......

I would bring the car to RMP. It wouldnt be the first time Rocco from RMP Motors has installed a twinscrew kit but i cant say who has it. What i can say is that the person who did have it popped their engine and threw a connecting rod through the side of the block leaving a fist sized whole and is now spending another 12k give or take to build a racing quality engine, which, Rocco from RMP will be building. From what i know the engine should be able to run 1000hp all day long but that is a different story.

Last edited by notjoe; 12-15-2006 at 05:55 AM.
notjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Oh yes, the upgrading of things. forgot about that.

I would defintely do the suspension and go stiffer than stock. I would go with Ground Control. I have em and love em to death. Not only will you have to deal with the squatting of the rear but you'll also want to take corners a lot faster and there will be hardly any body roll.

M3 Brakes will be fine. No need to change those up with BBK, its a waste of money. I would take the 2-3k you're spending on the BBK set and put it into a rebuild of the engine. Get better connecting rods. The connecting rod bolts are what failed on that other guys TS M3 and ruined his engine. Might as well put a new MLS HG on the car while its apart.

How much PSI are you planning on running? The guy with the 99 m3 TS SC has 216k on the clock when it was boosted with 9PSI although he did expect a rebuild but he didnt expect replacing the block /engine.

He also drove it like he stole it. Redlining 5th gear for a minute or two. I believe that is when the rod bolt failed and gave way. Lots of smoke shows. Doing 150-160 everywhere he drove. and always looking for an off the line run against anyone. Had he driven it normally and pulled back at 240 or held 6k rpm in 5th instead of hitting the revlimiter i doubt he would have had the blown engine.

As for the kind of boost, i wouldnt say it feels boosty. It;s closer to driving around with a v8 engine in your m3. Power is instantly there when you touch the throttle. Lots of low end tq and it keeps pushing all the way from 500 rpm to 7k. That being said if you drive it like a normal car you'll stay out of the boost. It really only comes on when you give it to her otherwise it drives and handles like stock.

After reading your post again. I'll assume you'll be running the 6PSI kit in which case the clutch might hold the power if you've been kind to it during its life. Leave it in and see how long it lasts. IF/when it does go then you can always get a new clutch disk and/or flywheel.

A friend of mine recommended the Eurosport kit to the guy with the 99 m3 and he was happy with. While it didnt produce the 350-360@ the wheels HP he had expected he chalked it up to a worn engine. The kit also looks stock, like it belongs in there. Many of the parts are infact BMW parts with a few exceptions. If you do want it order the kit NOW and you might have it for spring/summer. expect a 4-6 month wait for it and lots of broken promises on delivery.

Here are the cliff notes
1) If you dont drive it like you stole it you'll be fine except for normal ware and tear.
2) Suspension shoudl be done. It will make a huge difference.
If you're going with the 9PSI then do #3
3) Pull the block and replace the connecting rods. You'll get new ARP rod bolts with them.
4) Order the Eurosport TS kit TODAY if y want it by spring time otherwise AA has a TS SC kit but its produces less power, by about 20-50hp to the wheels and is the same price but can be delivered sooner rather than later.

PS: The guy with the 99 TS M3 would have rather done an LS1 swap + Boost for under what it cost him for a TS + used engne + rebuild. Something to think about.

Last edited by notjoe; 12-15-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

I didn't say anything about a big brake kit
What I meant by upgrading the brakes was to run aggressive pads, high temp fluid. The stock M3 brakes with stock pads and fluid aren't all that great.

I honestly don't think you'll need to crack open your motor, you don't even have 100k on it yet. There are many people out there running twin screws who haven't even touched their motors internally.

As far as which brand. The AA kit and Eurosport kit are pretty similar, the Eurosport just has the OEM look to is when it's installed. Which kit are you planning on getting, the intercooled or non-intercooled version?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I didn't say anything about a big brake kit
What I meant by upgrading the brakes was to run aggressive pads, high temp fluid. The stock M3 brakes with stock pads and fluid aren't all that great.
My Bad, i dont know where the hell i got the BBK from

Quote:
I honestly don't think you'll need to crack open your motor, you don't even have 100k on it yet. There are many people out there running twin screws who haven't even touched their motors internally.
Some have some have not. Granted my friend, lets call him, umm, pete, was redlining 5th but who wont do that every now and then? It's part of the fun!. If he is going with the 9psi kit and even remotely beats on the car like pete did then it is a worth while investment! ****ing connecting rod bolts and ARP doesnt make bolts for the stock BMW rods either

Quote:
As far as which brand. The AA kit and Eurosport kit are pretty similar, the Eurosport just has the OEM look to is when it's installed. Which kit are you planning on getting, the intercooled or non-intercooled version?
^^^+1 For OEM LOOK!! If you do order from ES tell them Joe from Toronto sent you and they might be a little quicket in getting the product out to you!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^hey joe. you forgot to tell everyone that the guy with the kit's car = fun as shit
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one
^^hey joe. you forgot to tell everyone that the guy with the kit's car = fun as shit

You'll have to refresh my memory, i'm lost bra
Old 12-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
the guy. who has the kit. on his car? (the person whose name we're not mentioning)

...his car is fun.
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Who, pete? What kit you taking about jigga man? I believe he got the track/school kit from GC
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Talking wheeeeeeeee..

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjoe
You'll have to refresh my memory, i'm lost bra
get a map then............hehehehe....NOTJOE you are a joker man..........*santa*
Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
get a map then............hehehehe....NOTJOE you are a joker man..........*santa*

I'm glad my sense of humor works on something with a heartbeat, can i interest you a romantic dinner paul?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: