Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #31
magnus
6th Gear Member

i would say both cars have similar power to weight ratio. The advantage of the Porche is a) Wider track and hence more stable and b) more aerodynamic.
For the above reasons he pulls away in the straight higher speed sections.
I do think the E30 is fast as f@ck and handles really well but personaly i think its alitle lag-gy for the twisty bits
I dont thinkthe CGT guy wasnt trying cause maybe he did not hit the apex on the corners but he really did not have to. As i also dont think the E30 driver had the car on its limits or hittin all the apex's. The noise you hear sounds like it but considering the movement of the car and that his suspension must be rock hard then i doubt it.

I have to give it to the E30 driver though and whoever is dissin the E30 compared to the Porche i ll just say this>
The CGT brakes cost almost as much as the e30s engine. So for VFM i think the E30 won.Plus i think lookwise for the Ring i would stick with the E30.

And one more thing....if you thing the guy is nuts for not wearing a helmet....well all french are nuts! Just watch the french film Taxi and see how the good french drivers drive!!!!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #32
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Yeah, I don't think the M3 hit redline once, he was running it very low.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #33
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Axxe: You said that the M3 was designed for racing, might be so, but if you were to put the m3 and the CGT in racing they would be in completely different classes, and the CGT would be lapping an E30 m3(in stock form of course) .

I just think its funny that people on here will call bloody murder to someone that has a civic with a shitload of power that will smoke a m5 saying, well in the end he is still driving a civic but when you reverse it, all people fall behind the M3. The CGT is a way better car all around! I love my BMW and BMW in general, but we have to be reasonable.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #34
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911
Axxe: The CGT is a way better car all around! I love my BMW and BMW in general, but we have to be reasonable.

I wouldnt say all round!!!!!
Fancy taking the wife and the kids around the ring with a CGT}}}}
And if you want to compare something similar lets compare a 1986 Porche with the M3 including price!
For someone who wanted a four seater that could keep up with the best ...M3 was the king in its days.
I understand what you are saying but still that M3 is a very very good track car.
If it was me driving though i would have my turn signal on on the twisty bits where it definetly raped that Porches ass!

Lo they do call to me
Old 12-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #35
cisco911
6th Gear Member

^^^ All I am saying is that comparing a CGT and an E30 is like comparing apples to oranges...really no point. And lets see you take the wife and kids around the ring with a role change and no back seats. The M3 was a great car for its day, but a CGT is a super car!!! Outside of a Mclaren/F40, there is nothing that old that can take on the CGT.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #36
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Yes, but the modifications to the M3 make it more oranges to grapefruits than apples to oranges

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #37
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911
^^^ Outside of a Mclaren/F40, there is nothing that old that can take on the CGT.
I agree but i think this lil think here would completely own the Porche and at less than a fifth of the cost>

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ines+r34&hl=en

Please note that this car has full interior and is completely street legal!!!!
With this i think from all the road cars below the Veyron you would have a hard time beating it ! And i would definetely take my chances against the Porche!!!!!

The point though is that although the e30 is miles away from the CGT it sure keeps up! And not just power wise but also handling wise! And that says alot for a 20 plus year old design!!!!!

Lo they do call to me
Old 12-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #38
msix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avus Blue Rob
The Porsche would have done better waving the M3 by, and followed him to learn the line!

The M3 was on the line the whole time while the Porsche was mid-track, not committing to the corners.

Nice vid.

Agreed - as I stated earlier - The driver in the BMW was obviously a more accomplished driver - hitting every apex while the Porsche was typically very late and washed out in the corners...

I would totally disagree with your statements. In my opinion the E30 driver is driving a real bad line, he is way to early nearly everywhere, specially in the S-curves, he turns in early in the left hander, squeels the tires, almost runs into the curb of the next right hander, has to back off the throttle, on the exits he again squeels the tires and you can hear them scrub and this almost everywhere. Yes, he closes up to the CGT, almost drives into the side of it, but only because the Porsche is taking it cautiously ... slow in, fast out.

No doubt the E30 seems to be a real fast car, but as someone else said here, the CGT is just playing with him. This Porsche driver obviously knows the track, he actually drives a beautiful line, knows where to place the car for the next corner, but I would say he only drives about 6/10th. Maybe it's not even his car, or he just likes to take it easy and he clearly does not drive to the potential of a CGT. In several spots on this video you can hear them just coasting along.

Heck, I chased not just one, but TWO CGTwith my E30 in September on a track, but those guys were only going to their comfort level and I was hustling my car around the track. This does not mean I could post this as a kill story!

Anyways. I would love to have this car ... BOTH OF THEM!!!

85 325es
CASC-OR Regional Auto-X Series 2009 and 2010 1st place in D/Mod
Ontario Time Attack Series 2011 1st place in SGT2
msix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 PM   #39
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

A DTM E30 M3 would beat that Carrera no doubt.
of note: the CGT is sooooooooo much more aerodynamic too..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW 7.jpg (88.0 KB, 69 views)
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #40
rendered
6th Gear Member

THAT WAS ****ING AWESOME. i DON'T CARE WHAT ANY OF YOU SAY.

makes me wanna turn my car into a 3.0l bi-turbo monster like that!
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:16 AM   #41
rendered
6th Gear Member

if you look at it, That CGT owner as well, could purchase 25 (at least) E30 M3's like that with ease with the price of his car!
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #42
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Talking Wow.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
A DTM E30 M3 would beat that Carrera no doubt.
of note: the CGT is sooooooooo much more aerodynamic too..
now race prep the CGT and see how that goes.......hehehehe...*santa*
Old 12-18-2006, 12:43 AM   #43
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
now race prep the CGT and see how that goes.......hehehehe...*santa*
LoL

Its already race prepped, kinda..
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #44
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

I think you guys are forgetting that the GT is not an easy car to drive... it's a car that even scares Walter Röhrl... where he said if you had the balls it would be even quicker (in regards to the GT's nurburg ring time)...
Old 12-18-2006, 01:29 AM   #45
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by msix
I would totally disagree with your statements. In my opinion the E30 driver is driving a real bad line, he is way to early nearly everywhere, specially in the S-curves, he turns in early in the left hander, squeels the tires, almost runs into the curb of the next right hander, has to back off the throttle, on the exits he again squeels the tires and you can hear them scrub and this almost everywhere. Yes, he closes up to the CGT, almost drives into the side of it, but only because the Porsche is taking it cautiously ... slow in, fast out.

No doubt the E30 seems to be a real fast car, but as someone else said here, the CGT is just playing with him. This Porsche driver obviously knows the track, he actually drives a beautiful line, knows where to place the car for the next corner, but I would say he only drives about 6/10th. Maybe it's not even his car, or he just likes to take it easy and he clearly does not drive to the potential of a CGT. In several spots on this video you can hear them just coasting along.

Heck, I chased not just one, but TWO CGTwith my E30 in September on a track, but those guys were only going to their comfort level and I was hustling my car around the track. This does not mean I could post this as a kill story!

Anyways. I would love to have this car ... BOTH OF THEM!!!
I don't know what video you were watching but a track school beginner would take a better line. He plain missed half the apexes. He sacrifices the first halves of some esses but ****s up the apex of the second half anyway. He brakes unnecessarily before hills, simply because he doesn't know what's behind them (more straight road). The sequence where the M3 almost hits the CGT is a double apex lefthander, and the CGT driver had 0 clue what was going on.

I may have only driven 5 laps but I learn fast and I remember many of those turns damn well. The M3 may have been a bit tight in a few of them but it was clearly to mess with the CGT (mirror peek-a-boo) or he knows they're not going nearly fast enough for the entry to matter (if you look closer it's obvious, when he goes in tight, due to the CGT, their speed doesn't even strain the tires), whereas the CGT driver was all over the place, most of the time a few feet from the track edge, missing most of the apexes.

Anyway, my point is that neither car was even close to its limits (the M3 pushed its traction limits a few times to scare the Porsche driver). But the CGT driver was at his driving ability/nerve limit. He should keep his car in the glass garage where it belongs, and bring something to the track that he isn't too scared to drive hard.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: