Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #31
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MAC
eh Gamite sorry to jump on this thread, but I just bought a Canon XTI, now it came with a kit lense, what do you guys recommend becuase i wanna get a nice zoom lense... ne thoughts...

I decided not to get teh kit lens with the D80, rather, I wanted to the lens that came with the D200.

I don't know what canon has to offer, but the 18-200 nikon is the most well rounded and hardest to find lens, I don't know if canon offers a similar lens that cover's such a broad zoom range.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #32
rdtx2005
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the Nikon club
Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #33
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
I decided not to get teh kit lens with the D80, rather, I wanted to the lens that came with the D200.

I don't know what canon has to offer, but the 18-200 nikon is the most well rounded and hardest to find lens, I don't know if canon offers a similar lens that cover's such a broad zoom range.
Canon doesn't, but Sigma does.

I am going to pick that up after christmas for my Digital Rebel XT
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:40 AM   #34
tifosi
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to tifosi Send a message via Skype™ to tifosi
Quote:

Canon has the 28-300 F3.5-5.6 L IS

Henry's Photo

and it is one giant mofo when it is fully extended!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #35
///MAC
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

Interesting, thanks guys, Ive got a few other lenses from my dads previous canons, but i was looking for a nice zoom one, I think ive found it.

thanks for all the info.
///MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #36
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Any opinions on the D80 vs the Canon XTi?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #37
Gamite

I haven't personally tried the XTi, so I can't jugde between the two. Most review sites put the D80 ahead of the XTi by like 0.1 points, so its really close between the two.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #38
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Any opinions on the D80 vs the Canon XTi?
When comparing Nikon vs. Canon, it really comes down to preference. Its an important decision because you'll be investing most your money into lens. Both Nikon and Canon IMO have the same image quality. for me, the difference was in ergonomics and feel. Nikon just fits better in may hands. Canon offers better results when shooting above ISO 800. so if your shooting style is mostly low light, Canon would be a better choice. Canon is also a better choice when it comes to buying used lens, simply because more people use Canon. IMO, the build quality on the D80 is better than XTi. Currently, nothing can touch the D80 in terms of overall performance and quality. my 2cents....
Old 12-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #39
thinair
moderationistismingly

It comes down to money for me, I can pick up a new XTi for $1000 (taxes in) with the standard 18-55 lens. Every review I've read states the D80 is a better overall camera, I just don't know if I can justify the extra $400-500.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #40
Gamite

if it comes down to money, then definately go with the XTi. Try not to go with a kit lens, go with a lens that you really want.

Someone mentioned that the 28-300 F3.5-5.6 L IS is Canon's version of Nikon's 18-200. So I would save your money and get that instead.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #41
thinair
moderationistismingly

I may be stuck with the lens kit, I'm probably getting it at Future Shop *gasp* because my gf gets her discount. They don't have only the body.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #42
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

forgot to add... Nikon has 2yr warranty on body, Canon only 1yr. Nikon currently has the best wireless flash (iTTL), it actually works! so if your planning on doing creative photography using wireless flash, go Nikon.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #43
thinair
moderationistismingly

I'd probably open for the Future Shop warrenty as well (again cheaper because of the discount, like 1/2 price), they'd just replace the camera with a new current model of the same marque.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #44
Gamite

Nelson, before buying from FS, go check

www.hitcamera.ca
www.vistek.ca
www.dvshop.ca

Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #45
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Nelson, before buying from FS, go check

www.hitcamera.ca
www.vistek.ca
www.dvshop.ca
All three of those places are most expensive the FS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: