Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-04-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

who here doesnt have traction control? i want to ask somethin...

my dad might buy 95 325i or even 97 328i..however, we dont have the cash and time to have a winterbeater....do you guys winter drive without the traction control? i am just curious to know how it was the first time and how it always is...my dad and mom might panic or something if they slide so i dont want it to be too jurastic for them to handle..

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:59 PM   #2
Harry
4th Gear Member

I drive all the time in the snow, no problem whatsoever. Car strats sliding sideways, take your foot off the gas. Problem solved.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
SickFinga

Yeah I actually started to turn off traction control now, i think it is even better, but you must be very careful with turns and gas pedal. If traction control is on sometime you get understeer and car just doesn't turn, or it takes half a minute to make a car move if traction control is on
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:13 PM   #4
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

BTW...they will be automatic.... lazy parents

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 12-04-2002, 08:37 PM   #5
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
pff traction control

just tell em not to have a left foot

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
SickFinga

I think standard is more safe in winter than auto.

P.S. But i still highly recommend to get a car with traction control
Old 12-04-2002, 09:09 PM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
I think standard is more safe in winter than auto.

P.S. But i still highly recommend to get a car with traction control
i c, why would you say its more safer?

Old 12-04-2002, 09:12 PM   #8
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover

i c, why would you say its more safer?

engine braking, smoother, and you can clutch it to remove any power from the engine to the wheel.

last on is not always a good idea, but sometims it helps
Old 12-04-2002, 09:14 PM   #9
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
i was last weekend in london and over there they had like 20-30cm of snow over the weekend. and without traction control i wouldn't even try to go on the street.

even with traction control the car just wouldn't start moving because it was a lot of snow on the road, the t/c kept flashing and the car wouldn't move. i tried turning it off but then the rpm shoots straight up and the car is still not moving anywhere.

but then again i managed to kick the rear out even with the traction control on just lucky for me there was no one in the other lane while i was turning.

i would say try get a car that has t/c. mature people (i won't say old) have slower reflexes then younger
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:33 PM   #10
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Re: who here doesnt have traction control? i want to ask somethin...

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
..........................if they slide so i dont want it to be too jurastic for them to handle..

I hope not, because jurastic isnt even a word!
Old 12-04-2002, 09:36 PM   #11
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Re: Re: who here doesnt have traction control? i want to ask somethin...

Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino

I hope not, because jurastic isnt even a word!
oh shut up..what is this, english class? its bad enough i have school!

Old 12-04-2002, 09:57 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by MP328
i was last weekend in london and over there they had like 20-30cm of snow over the weekend. and without traction control i wouldn't even try to go on the street.
Is it sad that I knew it was going to snow there that much, so I purposely visited family in London....

Standard trannys also allow you to rock the car out of snow easier. The engine braking also helps with understeer a little, but high rpm engine braking acts like a hand brake.

My mom's car is auto also, but it has LSD, which really helps in the snow. Winter tires are a must though. If the car still slides around, toss some dead weight in the trunk (ex. 100lbs).

I've never driven a car with T/C in the snow, so I can't really comment on it, other then I'd probably hate it as much as I hate ABS in snow (I disabled it on my truck).

I understand not having cash to not buy a winterbeater, but time? It's a cheap winter beater, lower your standards!
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:11 PM   #13
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Pshh, E46_lover buy my dam car already if it's still at TC BMW! j/k.

Anyways, I usually drive the car w/traction control ON for normal driving on dry and wet days. It is helpful in the snow as well if you want to start and you're having a bit of trouble. Rather than if you have it off, then since the 328/325 don't have LSDs, the one wheel will be spinning like crazy if the other wheel cannot gain traction. With traction control it, it prevents the wheel spinning like crazy to slow down by brake/ignition control and sometimes the other wheel will start spinning. One time I floored the gas pedal w/TRACs on and what happens? Rpms stay under 3000rpm or less and you can hear the ignition cutting on you preventing you from doing excessive wheel spins

HOWEVER, I kind of disagree with Sickfingas in terms of manual is safer to drive in the snow. Yes it is, however on autotrannys and like the 325/328s, you have the M mode which lets you stay in a gear. You can even do 4th gear starts, haha, but probably bad for the tranny if you do it too often. All you have to do is shift it to 2nd in M mode, for example, and you can start in 2nd gear and leave it in 2nd gear until you want to upshift.

When I rally in the snow in safe areas, and yes the 328 is capable of driving in snow w/all seasons, but winter tires prefably, I usually turn OFF traction control so I can control my drifts via steering and throttle w/no computer aids trying to prevent me from drifting. No need to floor it in the snow, just use throttle control and you can feel if your gaining traction or not. If I have Tracs ON it's harder to induce the drifts or donuts I want to achieve. I even drove around w/my A4 buddy during that season when it was freezing rain and the roads were literally iced up, that was so fun driving the Bimmer.

Anyways, in your parents' case, leave traction control ON (default when turn on car). It's not like they're gonan drive the car like they're on an autocross course, heh. Purpose of it is to help your car move the car under slippery conditions and prevent excessive wheel spin. Remember, it's not like DSC so if you enter a corner too quickly, it won't cut ignition/apply brakes like what the newer BMW's have.

Anyways a tip for those who don't know, but if you get stuck starting whatever reason in the snow, do the rocking motion, i.e. keep steering wheel straight and reverse a bit and shift to 1st or D (for auto tranny). Point is to keep rocking the car till you have the mommentum to propel you forward/backwards and then you can drive to whereever happily

Last edited by 330DTM; 12-04-2002 at 10:17 PM.
330DTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:28 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Pshh, E46_lover buy my dam car already if it's still at TC BMW! j/k.

Anyways, I usually drive the car w/traction control ON for normal driving on dry and wet days. It is helpful in the snow as well if you want to start and you're having a bit of trouble. Rather than if you have it off, then since the 328/325 don't have LSDs, the one wheel will be spinning like crazy if the other wheel cannot gain traction. With traction control it, it prevents the wheel spinning like crazy to slow down by brake/ignition control and sometimes the other wheel will start spinning. One time I floored the gas pedal w/TRACs on and what happens? Rpms stay under 3000rpm or less and you can hear the ignition cutting on you preventing you from doing excessive wheel spins

HOWEVER, I kind of disagree with Sickfingas in terms of manual is safer to drive in the snow. Yes it is, however on autotrannys and like the 325/328s, you have the M mode which lets you stay in a gear. You can even do 4th gear starts, haha, but probably bad for the tranny if you do it too often. All you have to do is shift it to 2nd in M mode, for example, and you can start in 2nd gear and leave it in 2nd gear until you want to upshift.

When I rally in the snow in safe areas, and yes the 328 is capable of driving in snow w/all seasons, but winter tires prefably, I usually turn OFF traction control so I can control my drifts via steering and throttle w/no computer aids trying to prevent me from drifting. No need to floor it in the snow, just use throttle control and you can feel if your gaining traction or not. If I have Tracs ON it's harder to induce the drifts or donuts I want to achieve. I even drove around w/my A4 buddy during that season when it was freezing rain and the roads were literally iced up, that was so fun driving the Bimmer.

Anyways, in your parents' case, leave traction control ON (default when turn on car). It's not like they're gonan drive the car like they're on an autocross course, heh. Purpose of it is to help your car move the car under slippery conditions and prevent excessive wheel spin. Remember, it's not like DSC so if you enter a corner too quickly, it won't cut ignition/apply brakes like what the newer BMW's have.

Anyways a tip for those who don't know, but if you get stuck starting whatever reason in the snow, do the rocking motion, i.e. keep steering wheel straight and reverse a bit and shift to 1st or D (for auto tranny). Point is to keep rocking the car till you have the mommentum to propel you forward/backwards and then you can drive to whereever happily
thanks for the detailed help mike! i knew i can count on you for this...can you explain this M mode to me? is it on all 328 auto?

Old 12-04-2002, 10:32 PM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Rather than if you have it off, then since the 328/325 don't have LSDs, the one wheel will be spinning like crazy if the other wheel cannot gain traction.
Actually....LSD was available on the 325's from 92-94, and 92-95 for the 318's, it was just an option very few people chose, so there AST/ASC+T became available on the 94 325 and 96 318 I believe.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: