Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Swerve
///Maquina

Cabin Air Filters

So do you really have replace them every so often? What's the harm if I just leave the one I currently have in there? I've never changed it...

The reason I ask is because this one's on ebay cheap: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Cabin-air-filter-...QQcmdZViewItem

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
They filter air. So new filter = cleaner air. Also, think about it. If the filter's clogged, you're gonna get that much less air.

swap it. Price of part isn't an issue, they can be a hassle to change.
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
I replace them once to twice a year, if you never replaced yours, take it out and take a look, it would be grey or black, that is what you are breathing in, and as Propr'one already mentioned when it gets clogged up you also get less air flow through the air vents

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

change it man! its not that hard and there is a good diy on it. and there is no need to take off the glovebox to do it. trust me the hardest part for me was getting the old filter out as there was so much dirt holding it in. make sure to have a vacuum nearby.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I took about 2 cups of leaves and twig bits out of my heater ducts when I replaced the filter on my 318. I was wondering why there was no heat. Yes, the filter was black too.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
europrince
6th Gear Member

changing cabin air filters shouldn't be an issue
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

do you guys have a diy link??? im interested in changing mine
Old 11-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

OMG...

I never changed the filters since the car was new (1995, so 11 years), so I went to the dealer, and they wanted ****ing $90 for them...so I told them to **** off, i'll figure out something.

The plan was to take the old filters out, clean them, and reinstall it. Easy.

Well, it took ****ing 2, yes 2 hours to get the damn firewall off- not because I couldn't find the screws or anything- because everything is jammed in there so tight, I pratically had to use all my weight to pull the firewall off...I finally got in there, and there were two completely filthy black filters- jammed with so much shit, it looked like a flat filter even though it was bellowed. Anyways, I tried cleaning the filters, but ended up destroying them- the things are unservicable- don't even bother trying.

I ended up cutting out the old filter element and retrofitting on material from a home HVAC filter. Took me another hour to fit everything back in.

I'm going to have to get the real ones eventually because I don't think the household filter will standup to an automotive application. Going to have to take everything apart again...what pisses me off is with so many people working at BMW when they were designing this car, that didn't someone say, hey- this filter, which needs changing regularly, SHOULDN'T be this hard to get to.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

$90?!?!? Holy shit, I just bought one and it was $45. And I'm sure i could have gotten cheaper if I hadn't gone to the dealer.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 11-20-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
they're like 14$ online
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 AM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
what pisses me off is with so many people working at BMW when they were designing this car, that didn't someone say, hey- this filter, which needs changing regularly, SHOULDN'T be this hard to get to.
In my e39 there are two cabin filters, they're located in the engine bay just like the intake filter element. Lift up the clips, lift up the filter, drop a new one in, and snap the clips down. 20 second job.

I picked up my filter from Canadian Tire, it wasn't more than $40 I'm sure.
I don't know if they changed the design in the TI's, but in my car it was extremely easy to do, only took a few moments.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
rico328i
5th Gear Member

Here you go. Mind you this is for an E36 328...I'll double check to see if it's the same for you 318/320/and 325 guys. Wrote this up a while back.

Hope it's helpful. I just checked...all e36's use the same filter.!

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45466

Last edited by rico328i; 11-20-2006 at 09:20 AM.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
kuds
I take pictures

If you are going to have a started installed, apparently it's in the same area. I just had mine done last week, and the guy didn't charge me anything extra for putting in the new filter.
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuds
If you are going to have a started installed, apparently it's in the same area. I just had mine done last week, and the guy didn't charge me anything extra for putting in the new filter.
It's great that you didn't get charged for the filter install, but the starter and the cabin filter aren't really anywhere near each other.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico328i
Hope it's helpful. I just checked...all e36's use the same filter.!
The 318ti's don't use the same filter...they got two smaller ones which are accessed by taking out a panel in the firewall under the hood.

The other E36's are accessed through the passenger compartment.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: