Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-02-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Painting your brake pads

Ok, next year in the summer Im gonna get some new rims, and so I want to get my brakes a different color. First who has done something like this where you painted them yourself? Where would I get the material to do this myself?? Also, what color would look the best? Red or dark Blue? Im thinking I want dark blue.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:48 PM   #2
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

A great product which produces them is called FOIA TECH they have every thing u need it even shows instructions and get it painted red LOOX nice! and u cant get it at any performance shop appon request

Last edited by SpoolinS6; 12-02-2002 at 10:50 PM.
SpoolinS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:38 PM   #3
swisherchico
2nd Gear Member

some wheel places here in cali will paint your brake calipers when they install the wheels. You might wanna ask the wheel place if they can paint the calipers for you. If they don't, its not to hard, just disassemble the brakes as if you were gonna change the pads. Once you remove the pads you can leave the caliper in there and paint it inside the wheel well, you just have to cover everything that you dont want to get painted with newpaper.

IMO- Red would look the best, I have seen yellow, blue, red, and white calipers, and the red ones always seem to enhance the appearence.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:44 PM   #4
swisherchico
2nd Gear Member

Oh yea I forgot. mkgino, go to twinturbo.net . In the Tech section (not Technical Forum, just Tech) they have an artical about painting your calipers. The car they did this process to was a 300zx, however the general process for this procedure would be almost the same for a bimmer.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 12-02-2002, 11:50 PM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Re: Painting your brake pads

Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino
Ok, next year in the summer Im gonna get some new rims, and so I want to get my brakes a different color. First who has done something like this where you painted them yourself? Where would I get the material to do this myself?? Also, what color would look the best? Red or dark Blue? Im thinking I want dark blue.
mkgino do red, it will look aggressive with black paint and silver wheels! *devil*

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 12:00 AM   #6
bart320i
6th Gear Member

don't forget to wire brush you calipers before painting and degreasing them. I'm painting mine (black) in the summer.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 AM   #7
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Damn, this is trickier than I thought. Im gonna do it myself, guess I have to research it first.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:07 AM   #8
mike125k
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike125k
i painted mine last summer myself. i just bought some high temp engine block paint so it wont burn off. clean them really good with a wire brush then i sprayed them with brake clean to all the dust off. i did about 4 coats on them. just make sure to newspaper everything really well. it took me about 20 min to newspaper everything good, but its worth it to not get paint all over everything. heres a pic of mine, sorry its not closer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car pic.jpg (166.8 KB, 144 views)
mike125k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:20 AM   #9
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Where did you get the paint from??
Old 12-03-2002, 09:40 AM   #10
mike125k
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike125k
Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino
Where did you get the paint from??
autozone, its just plain old engine paint rated at 500 degrees F i believe. you can find it at any car parts store most likely. its only a couple dollars a can too.
mike125k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:56 AM   #11
WASABI
OG

Easiest way to do it is to brush the paint on, no worry about oversprays. I bought Tremclad rust paint from home depot ($4.99 for a small can, I bought silver) a pack of small brushes from crappy tire (99 cents), used steel brush to take off some rust, and some sand paper. The folia tec kit is good, but it's like $80. And if you got some decent dustless pads they stay shiney and easy to clean.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:12 PM   #12
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WASABI
Easiest way to do it is to brush the paint on, no worry about oversprays. I bought Tremclad rust paint from home depot ($4.99 for a small can, I bought silver) a pack of small brushes from crappy tire (99 cents), used steel brush to take off some rust, and some sand paper. The folia tec kit is good, but it's like $80. And if you got some decent dustless pads they stay shiney and easy to clean.
Silver huh? Hmmmm, got any pics? You've peaked my interest.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:18 PM   #13
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
how about yellow

it looks good with these wheels i'm gonna get but need the rotors as well. so i won't do it to make it short
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:19 PM   #14
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
how about yellow

it looks good with these wheels i'm gonna get but need the rotors as well. so i won't do it to make it short

MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:21 PM   #15
M-sport
2nd Gear Member

I did mine silver and red.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: