Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Waxing for winter

Hey there guys was thinking if i should put a wax on my car for winter protection. Now Does anybody know of any GOOD places to go in the GTA to get this done. Hopefully referall from experience.

Cheers!
mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

When choosing a wax, it is best to go with synthetic as opposed to carnauba for durability. I do my own car and use Klasse and really like it. It will stand up to the salt in the winter and last about 6 months. Make sure to put at least 2 coats of the Sealant Glaze as well. You can pick this up from Paul Joseph at lastingshine.ca, tell him Blair sent you! If you want a pro to do it, there is nobody better in Toronto then Every Last Detail in First Canadian Place. These guys spend their days detailing Bentley's, Carerra GT's and my buddy's F430 as well as my X5 and 530 when it's cold out. I'm not sure what wax they use, give them a call and they will let you know. Be warned, they are not cheap. A interior and exterior detail is $50.00 but they do an amazing job!

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
bscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Cool thx for the info. My problem is im not really downtown ever. And by $50.00 is that including wax job as well? I was thinking it would cost alot more, but I have no idea what the going rate is these days.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

No, $50.00 does not include a wax...that would probably be about $80.00.

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
Old 11-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Acidblast
3rd Gear Member

autobahn does really good work. but i think they charge like $250 to wax the entire car. why don't you do it yourself and save yourself some $$$$ unless you don't have the time.

Bscarlett is right use a Synthetic wax will last longer and you could put multiple layers for added effect. Personally i use Zaino. I love this stuff.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

What if i have the time but don't wanna freeze my ass off? any1 know of a heated area i can wash/wax the car?
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidblast
autobahn does really good work. but i think they charge like $250 to wax the entire car. why don't you do it yourself and save yourself some $$$$ unless you don't have the time.

Bscarlett is right use a Synthetic wax will last longer and you could put multiple layers for added effect. Personally i use Zaino. I love this stuff.

I've alway wanted to try Zaino. Can you get it locally? I have heard good things about Autobahn. I would give them a try.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscarlett
I've alway wanted to try Zaino. Can you get it locally? I have heard good things about Autobahn. I would give them a try.
therse ag uy who has a hookup on zaino products on e46fanatics...he has zaino and poorboys i believe(both GREAT)...check out the forums

next year i'll be doing my first full zaino application
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
O.S.
3rd Gear Member

you can not go wrong with Klasse.
After Klasse AOI, I do 4 layers of Klasse glaze and top off with P21S - looks stunning ...
I get comments like ... how come there are other BMWs on the parking lot but yours looks so much better then others
E34 520 Black - SOLD
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Ya well Id love to do it myself, but A- abit cold out there, B- dont have a good buffer, and C- time is abit of an issue! So where can I go to pick up these products u folks mentioned? Crappy Tire or is there anywhere else in Toronto u folks go.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Acidblast
3rd Gear Member

i get all my Zaino products from www.zaino.ca they are the authorized distributor of Zaino in Canada. Plus every time i do go to The Barbers Chair in Square One they never have what i need. But be warned that in order to cure properly zaino needs a temperature of 20 degrees Celcius. Or else is will take a really long time to cure.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #12
O.S.
3rd Gear Member

I get all my stuff online. no particular site... whoever has a good deal and the stuff I need.
I bought my Klasse AIO and Klasse glaze set 3 years ago and still have at least half of Glaze and 80% of AIO... you really need VERY little of the stuff.

For Klasse and P21S- you do not need a buffer.

Klasse AIO takes 15-20 minutes tops ... it is put on wipe off type of deal, no need to buff etc.
Klasse Glaze goes on after Klasse AIO and you put the stuff on all the car and then wipe by hand... it goes off very easy if you did not put too much of it on. Takes an hour to put and take off 1 layer of Klasse Glaze.
I do it in my cold garage

1 layer of Klasse glaze is good enough already and creates a hard protection film on the paint.....
but for the ultimate shine (that you probably not gonna get in the winter with all the dirt on the roads all the time anyways) you need 3-4 layers ... thus multi layers of Klasse is usually a spring project because you need to wait at least a day before you can put the next layer of glaze on wheres a single layer is a good choice before winter.
That's what I do.
And .... Klasse does not wear off for at least 6 month.

I bet there are other great choices ... but I am not going to change what I do because of the great results it produces for me.
E34 520 Black - SOLD
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
atm2000
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscarlett
When choosing a wax, it is best to go with synthetic as opposed to carnauba for durability. I do my own car and use Klasse and really like it. It will stand up to the salt in the winter and last about 6 months. Make sure to put at least 2 coats of the Sealant Glaze as well. You can pick this up from Paul Joseph at lastingshine.ca, tell him Blair sent you! If you want a pro to do it, there is nobody better in Toronto then Every Last Detail in First Canadian Place. These guys spend their days detailing Bentley's, Carerra GT's and my buddy's F430 as well as my X5 and 530 when it's cold out. I'm not sure what wax they use, give them a call and they will let you know. Be warned, they are not cheap. A interior and exterior detail is $50.00 but they do an amazing job!

i've heard a lot of good things about carranuba wax, specifically the collinite brand. collinite is made specifically for boats, but works just as good on a automobile that they introduced/rebranded for that.
atm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
rico328i
5th Gear Member

Like someone mentioned above. You need to have the car in a place that's at least 15C or higher. Otherwise, the wax is not going to adhere properly to the car's finish. One of the most important steps in waxing, is the pre-wax. This removes all the oxidation etc from the finish and prepares it for the wax.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 AM   #15
Jattdee328
5th Gear Member

turtle wax...anygood?

HaVaaa vich kadey nee chiraag jug de...Juch de PUNJABI nahiyoon binna PUG de
Jattdee328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: