Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-29-2002, 12:51 AM   #1
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
2nd Hand Bimmer Vs. New Car

Alright, well here's a question i've been thinking about lately. Let's just say you started to work in your new job after graduateing from university. The amount of income you're earning is, let's say enough so that you can use a portion of it to buy a car.

My question is, let's say your spending limit plus tax has to be under $25,000 CDN. Would you...

a) buy a second hand bimmer (expecting the possibility that it could have been driven hard by the previous owner, or not)?

b) buy a brand new japanese car or a VW Golf/Jetta?

You can modify the car in terms of its apperance, but you might keep the performance mods down due to voiding the warrenty if you buy a new car. And for the used car scenario you can modify it but you may run into the trouble of electrical or other signs of problems that show up from a used car. And the amount of money you can spend modifying the car is minimal (let's say, $1000 max per year). Or you could not modify the car at all and save up for your future M3, well in my case

Which scenario would you choose and why?
Old 01-29-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
330DTM
Cinematographer

crap...

Alright in my case I might not be able to spend the money to mod it if I plan on spending the money on racing school.. You know, BMWCCA or any other schools, or even to local autocross events.

Add this last piece of information, and tell me how you guys would approach it
Old 01-29-2002, 01:00 AM   #3
rico328i
5th Gear Member

advice

All I can say. Enjoy it while you're young! Whatever that is. Buy something that you can have the most fun with and can afford. If you're young and single. I'd say to buy yourself something on the sporty side. I always tell the students I work with the same thing. Don't buy a 4dr sedan. Have fun. 'Cause sooner or later, you'll have to grow up and may end up with a mini-van!! hahaha.

Nothing wrong with a slightly used import- which is what I'm guessing you're looking at. My '90 Accord has 370k on it and I bought it with 70. Original clutch still, and it's been tracked and raced a ton by myself over the years. Can't kill them!

I can't recommend a specific car for you. Just keep in mind one thing. Life's too short. Enjoy it while you can. How's that? You decide.

Rico
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 01:08 AM   #4
330DTM
Cinematographer

haha

LOL, sound true Rico328i!

Even if i have kids in the future, too bad, they're gonna have to sit in my M3 LOL, regardless of it's harsh ride and the roll bars which will look like monkey bars to the kids for them to swing on. hahah LOL.

It's also hard to decide on if a second hand car would be a good idea, because say after purchasing a second hand car, months later many problems show up on the car. What would you do then?heh
Old 01-29-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
mbavaria30s
1st Gear Newbie

Here's the breakdown.
New car = lots of money for real fun(BMW), or you could buy a kia for the same price as a 90-95 bmw with round 100k mi.
Money for a new car goes into monthly payments and a hefty downpayment, usually. Everything's fixed for free, and usually stays that way because you're paying monthly to drive the car, and can't afford modifications.

Used Car: High mileage, but on a well engineered vehicle, it doesn't matter. Driven hard possibly, but I've driven all of my vehicles hard, for a while. The Bavaria had 488k miles on it, and I street raced it still. No problems, had to replace the clutch once, tho, cuz I learned to drive on it. 93 318i, 113k miles, previously had a supercharger. Driven hard still. 8000 USD flat for it. Only problems thus far have been things like sunroof tilt mechanism and the standard upkeep. If you want your car to be on like-new condition entirely, then you have to shell out anywhere from no where near to much much more than you would pay for a new car, in a non-scheduled fashion. IE, things break when they break, not monthly. My car runs like a dream, and I can live without a tilted sunroof, thankyou. it still goes in and out. that's all I care about.

End game? Depends on how you shop. Some cars last longer, and last better, than others. BMW has done a fine job of making long lasting, gorgeous, well performing vehicles. So what if it's from last century.. it's class, not kia.
-j
mbavaria30s is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: