Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #16
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood0071
I will certainly advise what happens and please inform what happened to your buddies chip as I am curious.

He was supposed to come by today with the chip and to borrow a new SMT-6 which is a piggy back tuning system.

I will let you know, I think it might be a bad eprom. I was late for his place and did not do a verification check on the programmer to see if it wrote the data without flaws. I wil rewrite him a new one.

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #17
jwood0071
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jwood0071 Send a message via Yahoo to jwood0071
Thanks for the help!
I recieved the JC chip today and completed the install. The car started instantly and It seems to shift better and overall perform like a champ.

jwood0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #18
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
Read my post again. I said they advance the timing, then test drive to check for detonation. I guess I forgot to mention to you that if you do find that you have detonation, you need to then back the timing off a bit. Do a search for Jim Conforti and have a quick read about him...I think he knows what he is doing when tweaking a motronic. Let me know if you ever find that dyno....

Someone as smart as you should know there are no "manual" timing adjustments, as the advance/retard is 100% electronically controlled at the DME, not in the distributor.

Also, when's the last time you saw JimC producing a new chip for e30's or continuing development? MarkD has been updating and improving his product, and as of right now, has a superior product to that of JimC. It's dyno proven, not up for debate.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #19
Axxe

Quote:
Thanks for the help!
I recieved the JC chip today and completed the install. The car started instantly and It seems to shift better and overall perform like a champ.

Congrats!! Good to hear you had success with the chip upgrade in the end.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #20
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Whoops, now how did this get posted...

Red is MarkD 93, Blue is JimC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-30-2005-vs-1-17-2005-runs.jpg (136.9 KB, 68 views)

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #21
Curtis
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Someone as smart as you should know there are no "manual" timing adjustments, as the advance/retard is 100% electronically controlled at the DME, not in the distributor.

Also, when's the last time you saw JimC producing a new chip for e30's or continuing development? MarkD has been updating and improving his product, and as of right now, has a superior product to that of JimC. It's dyno proven, not up for debate.
If you read the whole thread you would see I was talking about adjusting timing on old american muscle cars and not the e30...

Show me a back to back dyno of a stock i car with a mark D and then a jim C on the same day, modified cars are a different story. I have never seen one, yet everyone talks smack. If you prove to me that a Mark D chip is better then I can't dispute, but you aren't proving anything except that you can hang off Mark D's sac.

Last edited by Curtis; 11-09-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #22
Curtis
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal

So the dyno run that reads "gary derian chip" with the Big TB, EXtrude honed intake, refreshed head, headers, exhaust, lightweight fly wheel... is actually a dyno run of a Mark D'Sylva chip? Interesting dyno, but all those cars are way more modified then just a chip. I don't think you can gather anything about chip performance from it.

Last edited by Curtis; 11-09-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #23
Axxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
If you read the whole thread you would see I was talking about adjusting timing on old american muscle cars and not the e30...

Show me a back to back dyno of a stock i car with a mark D and then a jim C on the same day, modified cars are a different story. I have never seen one, yet everyone talks smack. If you prove to me that a Mark D chip is better then I can't dispute, but you aren't proving anything except that you can hang off Mark D's sac.

Yes, I understood that you were comparing it to muscle cars, however you make it seem that chip tuning is very easy, which it's not. It's knife edge work, and every motor is slightly different. MarkD simply gets closer to the edge, and if anything, the dyno of the modified (bolt ons only) M20 AMPLIFIES the gains of the chip. Sort of a "best case scenario."

It's all one car BTW, and Gary Derian is the one that markets MarkD's chip down south.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #24
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal

Thanks for finding the Dyno printout Jay, I have saved it this time for the future batty holes

Axxe, why are you even worrying with that ....... not worth wasting keystrokes over people like that whose mouth to brain ratio is HIGH.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #25
Striker
Turbo Ready

Jay,

I just decided to Google Batty Hole and nearly ****ing fell off my chair laughing reading the first hit before clicking on it. Man all the Caribbean terms are no longer hidden, you guys can no longer slang around

Last edited by Striker; 11-10-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #26
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Good thread. Great thread.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #27
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Will this dyno shut him up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg markd_dyno (Large).jpg (125.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #28
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30

No it won't, you will get a reply like

"Oh it was snowing that day in CA, and the wind thickness was low so the dyno bearings were faster resulting in Mark D's looking better" or

"Oh that's a nice piece of art a kid made with some fine tipped crayons and got first prize in making waves look good, that's not a real dyno print out"

or "Nooooooooooooooooo guys, cant you see that was a print out of the what the waves looked like of the tsunami" or some other senseless reply.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #29
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Thanks for the help!

Great to hear it went ok, I did read the guys chip BTW and it was OK. He actually indicated hat the car started but wasa running rough. We think he sould have driven the car so that the ECU could have adapted to the new chip.

Happy you are running OK now and we are sorry for making you popular by keeping your thread alive

We do this for all good new members.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #30
Curtis
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30

I've seen that dyno before. The colors are all messed up compared to the words. The dark green 175 torque that is the highest curve matches the color of the Jim C chip text but not the words in the text, and the light green is screwed up too...what happend there? is that a photoshoped dyno chart that someone didn't color match well? I don't see how a computerized dyno program could screw up the graph colors...

All I said from the very begining was that 91 octane chips aren't going to be that different because there is only so far you can advance the timing before the engine starts to ping. Striker with his secret crush on Mark D took this is a direct attack on Mark D and started the personal attacks...what a loser. Let the numbers speak for themselves, we don't need to hear your personal preference Striker - your opinion is obviously extremely biased and thus worthless. A Mark D 91 octane chip might give a 1hp difference at some rpm, or it might not. If it does then good for him, I was just saying that you can't go wrong with a Jim C chip and posted some info from a well known magazine with some Jim C dyno numbers... since that is who the guy who started the thread was using.

Hey Striker,

Last edited by Curtis; 11-10-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: