Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
jwood0071
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jwood0071 Send a message via Yahoo to jwood0071
Chip Install, Help!

Hi I Installed a Dinan chip into my 1991 325i (E30). The car starts fine with the factory chip. However with the Dinan, the car just turns over and over and does not start. I have tried to disconnect the battery and it di not change. Can anyone suggest anything more that can be done.

jwood0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

throw that fake ebay dinan chip in the garbage and contact MarkD.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
jwood0071
1st Gear Newbie

I guess I learned a lesson and went ahead and purchased a chip from Turner Motorsports, the Conforti Performance Chip. It is true what people say about "you get what you pay for". I hope I do not have any problems when I recieve this chip in a few days. Also, I went with the JC chip becuase they only offer 91 Octane in my area.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Curtis
1st Gear Newbie

You can't go wrong with a JC chip. The difference between a 91 octane and a 93 octane chip isn't noticable. I don't know how Mark D became so popular among e30 owners, there is only so much you can do to fuel and ignition maps and that is all that is tunable in the e30. I'm sure the difference between all 91 octane chips isn't noticable. Now new BMWs might be a different story.

"Since chip swapping has all the trappings of black magic, we added a touch of reality to the proceedings by power-testing our E30 on a chassis dyno, comparing the stock and Conforti chips----letting the chips fall where they may, so to speak. Heino's Dynojet provided a read-out of Conforti's circuit-board pot-stirring results: At 4,850 rpm, the car showed a rear-wheel horsepower gain of 14.3 and a torque gain of 15.4 foot-pounds. This equates to an 18.7- hp/20.1-foot-pound improvement at the flywheel. At 5,060 rpm, our revitalized E30 put out 185 hp and 178 foot-pounds of torque. More important, the car felt quicker, particularly above 4,000 rpm." --Roundel magazine.

Last edited by Curtis; 11-04-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
I don't know how Mark D became so popular among e30 owners, there is only so much you can do to fuel and ignition maps and that is all that is tunable in the e30. I'm sure the difference between all 91 octane chips isn't noticable. Now new BMWs might be a different story.
Welcome to earth I guess you just arrived thus, unaware of how Mark D became so popular among e30 owners.

Just to enlighten you a bit, he is one of, if not the best and most effective tuner where BMW's are concerned, and this includes e30's.

Allot of people here in Canada, the US and even Europe have Marks chips and
everyone only great things to say about it. I have a thread somewhere here linked to another forum in the US where some guys bench tested all the top tuner chips. What they did was effective and fool proof. They took an e30 and dynoed it with all the big name chips, Mark tops the list with the Dyno results illustrating highest Torque and HP.

Mark is a smart sucker, let me rephrase that, an astonishingly brilliant sucker, so if you are going to make any comments about his work, do have sound backup for your words.

Earthling.

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood0071
Hi I Installed a Dinan chip into my 1991 325i (E30). The car starts fine with the factory chip. However with the Dinan, the car just turns over and over and does not start. I have tried to disconnect the battery and it di not change. Can anyone suggest anything more that can be done.
Somtimes this happens. There can be many reasons for this, programming glitch, chip got toasted by static electricity, reverse installation among the few.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
Curtis
1st Gear Newbie

Jim Conforti is also a brilliant chip maker. All I am saying is there isn't much you can tune on an e30. All you can do is advance the timing to the point where it won't ping on 91 octane and adjust the fuel accordingly. I'm guessing you have never played with timing on a car. Many cars come from the factory "de-tuned" with less timing in order to run on the lowest octane fuel for the region the car is sold in. Advancing timing is an old old trick that used to be done on old American muscle cars by turning the distributor while using a timing light to read the timing...then you would take it for a test drive and see if you got any pinging (detonation). Because the e30 is so "simple" compared to newer BMWs, there isn't a whole lot of difference between chips. I would like to see this chip compare dyno you speak of, could you post it?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Jim Conforti is also a brilliant chip maker. All I am saying is there isn't much you can tune on an e30. All you can do is advance the timing to the point where it won't ping on 91 octane and adjust the fuel accordingly. I'm guessing you have never played with timing on a car. Many cars come from the factory "de-tuned" with less timing in order to run on the lowest octane fuel for the region the car is sold in. Advancing timing is an old old trick that used to be done on old American muscle cars by turning the distributor while using a timing light to read the timing...then you would take it for a test drive and see if you got any pinging (detonation). Because the e30 is so "simple" compared to newer BMWs, there isn't a whole lot of difference between chips. I would like to see this chip compare dyno you speak of, could you post it?
No I never "played" with timing on a car, great guess.

Just to inform you a bit again, since you played with timing of cars, you RETARD the timing on a car to prevent detonation not advance it.

I don't remember where that thread is regarding the chip comparison and frankly don't have time for that.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #9
Curtis
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
No I never "played" with timing on a car, great guess.

Just to inform you a bit again, since you played with timing of cars, you RETARD the timing on a car to prevent detonation not advance it.
Read my post again. I said they advance the timing, then test drive to check for detonation. I guess I forgot to mention to you that if you do find that you have detonation, you need to then back the timing off a bit. Do a search for Jim Conforti and have a quick read about him...I think he knows what he is doing when tweaking a motronic. Let me know if you ever find that dyno....
Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 AM   #10
jwood0071
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Somtimes this happens. There can be many reasons for this, programming glitch, chip got toasted by static electricity, reverse installation among the few.
Thanks for the help ! I do not think it was static electricity, and definitely not a reverse installation. It was probably the cheap Dinan imposter chip as the car runs fine now. It could be number of things, like a blank chip possibly. I will however make sure I follow the install instructions for the JC chip when it arrives. Everything is apart, so it would probably take me less than 5 minutes to complete the install.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #11
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Read my post again. I said they advance the timing, then test drive to check for detonation. I guess I forgot to mention to you that if you do find that you have detonation, you need to then back the timing off a bit. Do a search for Jim Conforti and have a quick read about him...I think he knows what he is doing when tweaking a motronic. Let me know if you ever find that dyno....

Read my post again, I don’t have time for that, you do a search for it.

I will make it easy for you since I try not to get into net rage, you praise Jimmy and we will adore Markey OK. Don't roll you eyes, not too cool when guys do it

We are all entitled to our views, stupid or not, what I did not like is your comments made about Mark, a guy who you probably know nothing about and making unsupported comments.

Being a new member, I guess spending a bit more time on the board will help you understand why. You just can't jump on the board and start making comments about people and questioning their ability, who are indeed very competent and well respected with what they do in the BMW community.

Last edited by Striker; 11-05-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood0071
Thanks for the help ! I do not think it was static electricity, and definitely not a reverse installation. It was probably the cheap Dinan imposter chip as the car runs fine now. It could be number of things, like a blank chip possibly. I will however make sure I follow the install instructions for the JC chip when it arrives. Everything is apart, so it would probably take me less than 5 minutes to complete the install.

Let us know how it went with the other install. I have programmed quaite a bit of chips already and surprisingly enough did one for a close buddy of mine and he had the same issue as you did. First time it happened.

He will bring it back for me to read so I can see what happened.

Update us.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #13
jwood0071
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker.
Let us know how it went with the other install. I have programmed quite a bit of chips already and surprisingly enough did one for a close buddy of mine and he had the same issue as you did. First time it happened.
He will bring it back for me to read so I can see what happened.
Update us.
I will certainly advise what happens and please inform what happened to your buddies chip as I am curious.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
Curtis
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker

I will make it easy for you since I try not to get into net rage, you praise Jimmy and we will adore Markey OK. Don't roll you eyes, not too cool when guys do it

We are all entitled to our views, stupid or not, what I did not like is your comments made about Mark, a guy who you probably know nothing about and making unsupported comments.

Show me where I made unsupported comments. Sorry to hurt your feelings, you obviously have a strong fondness for Mark D'Sylva.

I have nothing agains Mark D'Sylva. What I like about Mark is that he makes chips for alternative setups to stock, which is cool because most other chip tuners don't care about older cars (plus isn't he Canadian?). But you can't knock "Jimmy" either as he is considered the "motronic master" and I'm sure Mark D'Sylva had read Jim Conforti's chip prior to making his own version for the stock e30.

Last edited by Curtis; 11-05-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #15
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:

Show me where I made unsupported comments. Sorry to hurt your feelings, you obviously have a strong fondness for Mark D'Sylva.

I have nothing agains Mark D'Sylva. What I like about Mark is that he makes chips for alternative setups to stock, which is cool because most other chip tuners don't care about older cars (plus isn't he Canadian?). But you can't knock "Jimmy" either as he is considered the "motronic master" and I'm sure Mark D'Sylva had read Jim Conforti's chip prior to making his own version for the stock e30.
Bud I hate being is this back and fourth sh!t swapping but this is my final reply to you.

1. You clearly doubted Marks ability to tune an e30 well in your first post.
2. I never knocked on Jim
3. You are making yet another comment about mark possibly modifing Jims chips
4. What this has to do with mark being Canadian, Turkish, Brit or Chinese????? At least he is an earthling.

Last exchange with you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: