Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Wiring

Hey guys, I am trying to build the best system in my budget for the Blazer.

I got all my stuff minus front components (getting this week) and wires.

What wires are good quality? Where should I pick them up? What gimmicks should I avoid? I have not done much research into wires.

I need 2 sets of RCAS.
Power and Ground.

Thanks

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Best Buy has a nice kit dave,it comes with a cap and stuff...it is called Stinger.....do have hernes and the deck kit too???if not I may still have mine stuff...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Ya I have the deck kit already.

Cap eh..

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 10-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
BMW03
2nd Gear Member

Stinger

ya me and my friend got that stinger kit with the cap for his Honda, and it worked great. There are several different stinger kits though, so get the gauge and everything that will fit your setup.

';,;'
Old 10-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
BMW03
2nd Gear Member

By the way a blazer project is the best thing that you can do, I have always wanted to do it, but have no money. What do you plan to do to it?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Those wire kits are over priced at BB, $99 + and up. I think $200 for their "good" one.

I'd go to a stereo store and buy the length you need in the gauge you want.

The RCAs you can buy at BB, Walmart, radio-shack etc, where ever you can find good ones for cheap.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Well I know I need about 18 ft of 4 gauge 8 feet of 8 gauge but I think my neighbour has that. The speaker wire obviously.

Really I just want to know what makes a good RCA, and how much is worth the price and how much is packaging.

BMW03.

Plans after I get it the perfect starting platform:
System (will start a thread for that once I start)
Rear split seat out of 2nd gen
Shaved door handles, Tail Gate
Roll pan
Smooth front chrome bumper
5/6 drop (or bags still on a fence)
Carbon black paint
Newer Sonoma wheels
350 small block

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #8
brent-E30
boost junkie

there is no such think as realy good stuff cheep...if you want something that will work get the Stinger but if you want "good" stuff go to an audio shop and spend money on wires and most of all RCA's the good ones make a difference for sure, less noise, cleaner, and a more clear sound....just my 2 cents

good luck with the blazer
brent-E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent-E30
there is no such think as realy good stuff cheep...if you want something that will work get the Stinger but if you want "good" stuff go to an audio shop and spend money on wires and most of all RCA's the good ones make a difference for sure, less noise, cleaner, and a more clear sound....just my 2 cents

good luck with the blazer

+1

$500bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
NickP

For 4 guage power wire - check out Home Depot - they sell it by the foot. Just make sure they have the fine strand copper stuff and not just the thick strand. The thick strand should work but its harder to twist and run. You'll also have to solder the exposed ends for the connection points.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP
For 4 guage power wire - check out Home Depot - they sell it by the foot. Just make sure they have the fine strand copper stuff and not just the thick strand. The thick strand should work but its harder to twist and run. You'll also have to solder the exposed ends for the connection points.
ive never seen that at home depot, but if they do have it, it will no doubt be the cheapest you can get. just make sure you get oxygen-free copper wiring, they wont corrode very quickly at all. a good way to test that thick cable is to twist it - if you can tie it into a knot without much trouble, itll quite likely work fine. but like NickP said - do NOT get the thick strand wire! it has a much much lower current capacity. it may even melt under high current loads.

but if you dont want to re-do it later, i would suggest going to a car audio store and paying the extra 20c a foot to get the really high quality power and ground wire. trust me, you wont regret it. wiring is way more important than people might think. im running 2000w RMS () off a single 4gauge power wire - and im having no trouble. it does get warm on occasion, but never hot. a low quality cable would never be able to carry between 70-90A continuous (with 140-160A peaks) and live for very long.

a good RCA - you can pay hundreds of dollars for RCAs. dont believe me? Pear Cables

its insane. but if you buy a $20 cable from crappy tire, you can expect $20 quality. usually decent RCAs run $30-40 each. anything more than that is typically overkill. you DEFINITELY want to get these from a car audio store. "double-shielded" or "twisted pair" are things you should look for - those cables wont pick up much noise from the electrical system of the car.

Last edited by FuryriderX; 11-19-2006 at 07:18 PM.
FuryriderX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: