Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Danila318is
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Danila318is Send a message via MSN to Danila318is
Replacing rear springs

Hello all,
Have to replace rear springs in my car. A friend told me that all I have to do is to unbolt the rear shock, apply some wight on the control arm and the springs should come out. It sounds too easy, is it really all I have to do, or there is something more to it?
Thanks!
Danila318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
mirek
6th Gear Member

That's it. hoist car, undo the bolt, drop the arm, spring will come out. Installation is reverse.
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

what about replacing the rear shock mounts, will that be really hard or no so??
Old 10-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

No, to do it properly you should lower the diff. If you don't have urethane subframe bushings this isn't hard, just remove the bolt from the big diff bushing mount, and lower it a bit. If you don't do this, you risk damage to the CV joints in the half shafts, they're not designed to bend that far.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer
what about replacing the rear shock mounts, will that be really hard or no so??
Undoing the shock bolt can be irritating if it's old and rusty. Unless you have air tools, in which case it takes 3 seconds.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

can i do it without power tools?? a shop wants to charge me 150 for labour of changing the rear shock mounts
Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
Soldo
6th Gear Member

You don't need to lower the diff in order to do this. It is a very easy swap, you just lift it up, remove the bolt holding the shock (i believe its a 17 or 18mm socket) apply a bit of downward force on the on the rotor/hub and the spring comes right out.

You shoulda told me you needed someone to do this, i coulda done it for you at my house man!!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

Of course man. You can do anything with a big enough pair of pliers and hammer. The various tools, including power, are just there to make the job easier and cleaner.

The job is very easy, just don't forget to lower the diff a bit. Replacing the half shafts if you damage the CV joints is a lot more expensive and more difficult.

You won't need to do this for doing the springs but if you were to replace the shocks, the way air tools help this job is that the nut that holds the shock in place will spin with the shock if you just try to unbolt it (usually, if the shock is rusted out and stuck in there good it might not). So there is a little nub on the end that you're supposed to hold with one wrench, while you twist the nut with another. In the front shocks I think it's the same idea. I know on the E34 there's a hole for an allen key - just supreme annoyance. I've stripped those allen key holes twice. But with an impact gun, it applies the force in sudden pulses and as a result it has a lot of momentum when it comes in full contact with the nut/bolt unlike your wrench which has 0. As a result, the energy you're driving into the nut is far greater than the average force you apply (if you were to just to torque it statically with a wrench). These nuts will actually come off without any need for the shock to be immobilized. So if you find a good deal on a 4-8+ gallon compressor and a set of air tools, pick them up, they're worth their weight in gold to a shadetree mechanic.

By the way, what springs are you putting in and what shocks do you have?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
You don't need to lower the diff in order to do this. It is a very easy swap, you just lift it up, remove the bolt holding the shock (i believe its a 17 or 18mm socket) apply a bit of downward force on the on the rotor/hub and the spring comes right out.

You shoulda told me you needed someone to do this, i coulda done it for you at my house man!!
Just because the spring will come out it doesn't mean it's ok. You can't bend the CV joint that far. Read your Bentley manual.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:17 AM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

i've done this swap more times than i can remember. From all of my experiences i've never had a problem swapping the springs out without toughing the diff. I've also never had a problem with my halfshafts afterwords either.

So based on MY personal experiences, i don't believe the diff has to be dropped. Seems like too much extra work for an easy job!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
Danila318is
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Danila318is Send a message via MSN to Danila318is
I did it in 40 minutes... Extremely easy thing to do... I was actually surprised that it was so easy! Unbolted the shocks, the control arm went down, took out the springs, inserted new ones, and that's it!

Thanks Soldo.

On the highway, went from 100 to 180 - no vibration whatsoever!!! Happy now!
Danila318is is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: