Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
question to all you all season drivers.

when are your wintertires going on?

i'm thinking of trying to burn off the rest of these summers and throw on my winters next week.

any one else?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
static
6th Gear Member

i'd say, once temps hit consistantly below 10C, put them on. (in a month or so) for now it's too warm IMO, you will burn them up in this temp. Also you cannot really drive agressively with winters as if you overheat them you're damaging them (very soft compound) and then they will be useless in snow/ice
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Chris de la Cruz

lol i was thinking of autocrossing in the winters
Old 10-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
I'm going to wait till december, it's seems late but I had summer tires on in winter before

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Chris de la Cruz

i'm just afraid of salt eating my wheels
Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by 641215
i'm just afraid of salt eating my wheels
it normally doesn't really snow until christmas anyways, how often do we get heavy snowstorms in the begining of december?

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

1st snow fall.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

In a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by static
i'd say, once temps hit consistantly below 10C, put them on. (in a month or so) for now it's too warm IMO, you will burn them up in this temp. Also you cannot really drive agressively with winters as if you overheat them you're damaging them (very soft compound) and then they will be useless in snow/ice
It really depends on what kind of tires you are talking about. With more and more vechicles coming with larger wheels, there are actually alot of "Performance" winters on the market, which are meant for dry winters and not heavy snowfalls.

Also "overheating" as you call it? Whats the technical meaning of overheating a tire? One could do a small burnout and "overheat" a tire as you call it. As long as the tire still has lots of thread left, I dont see how they could be "useless" as you call it.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Also "overheating" as you call it? Whats the technical meaning of overheating a tire? One could do a small burnout and "overheat" a tire as you call it. As long as the tire still has lots of thread left, I dont see how they could be "useless" as you call it.
ok, i'll explain.

The compound used in any tire is a compromise. There is no compound that would be the best in all situation, otherwise we'd all be buying same tires.
Each compound has operating temp point at what the tires work (grip) best and the wear is normal.
Example: race tires designed to work in high (relatively) temps, summers in normal temp, and winters - low temp.
Push the temp higher than the compound was designed for, you get fast wear and subpar performance. (example: try running street summer tire on track hard - you get greasy tires all chunked out at the end of session, ask Tomek)
As you probably know, by running tires aggressively, you heat them up. Winter tires are designed not to stiffen up like summers at near or below freezing point temps. Push them and you get fast uneven wear. Which in turn results in smoothing out all the grooves and treads on the winter tires that otherwise hold the tire on snow/ice.

I had first-hand experience with this phenomenon as my GF bought a car with Hakkappelitas that were run during summer. She got in an accident last winter because the car just let go in a turn.
I ran new Hakkappelitas on my e30 last winter and, if unmolested, they would never do this.

EDIT: oh and "high performance all-season tires".... don't even get me started on that. BTW, wide is bad in winter or when not on solid pavement, look at rally cars. In this case, pressure is more important than the contact patch area.

hope that's of help
Cheers

Last edited by static; 10-10-2006 at 10:50 PM.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack
it normally doesn't really snow until christmas anyways, how often do we get heavy snowstorms in the begining of december?
I'm doing the same. My current tires have a bit of life in them and I want to use them up before putting on my winters. That way, I can start a fresh set in the spring.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
BMWags
6th Gear Member

id wait till december for sure....november i find just has light flurries, no point.
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by static
ok, i'll explain.

I had first-hand experience with this phenomenon as my GF bought a car with Hakkappelitas that were run during summer. She got in an accident last winter because the car just let go in a turn.
I ran new Hakkappelitas on my e30 last winter and, if unmolested, they would never do this.
How are those tires on dry in the winter? I bought Nokian WR, winter tires, as opposed to your snow tires, for the mostly clear roads we have in the GTA. They have a soft sidewall, but handle reasonably well given their purpose.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:37 AM   #13
Gleb
E30 ..?

Snow is NOT important, temperature IS!!!

Ask ANYONE who knows anything about tires and the simple answer is:

Winter tires go on, when the average temp is down to +7C,
Summer tires go on, when the average temperature is up to +7C

Tire's tread is designed for high speed stability, or wet traction, or snow, or ice, or noise...etc.

Tire's compound is designed for temperature.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:16 AM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Winter tires are also a lot softer, and wear much quicker on dry pavement. Put em on first snowfall, or 3rd week of november.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, cat delete, vance hines csone, YEC racing tune
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #15
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I put mine one when there is frost on the roofs in the morning, and it doesn't go warmer than 10*C in the day

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: