Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Manimillion
Photographer

S52 and Boost?

Any difference between the S52's that came in the E36 M3's?

How much power can a stock E36 M3 block handle reliably?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

im not 100% sure on the s52, but 700rwhp was reached on the M52 with just a HG and studs with stock internals
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
The block itself can handle a lot, like +1000hp. Internally the rods are the first to fail. The crank is forged as well.

Basically if you have the money, the motor won't be the issue, traction, drivetrain and chassis integrity will be.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
The block itself can handle a lot, like +1000hp. Internally the rods are the first to fail. The crank is forged as well.

Basically if you have the money, the motor won't be the issue, traction, drivetrain and chassis integrity will be.
What is a good place to start to read on these issues?

I will be getting a new car this upcoming spring, but the goal is to have a low 12 sec, high 11second car, without going crazy out of budget. I can possibly spend 25G's USD on a car, and another 10G's on mods.

Easiest way to go is to get an 03-04 Cobra, and with 3-4G's you are guaranteed to run 11's but I really don't want another Mustang, let alone a domestic.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

One of my buddies has a 03 cobra and damn that bad boy is fast. anywhere in the RPM range it flies at full throttle.
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
Furious
BMW again.

you can look at places like ICS. they will give you an idea where to go. i suggest going with older m52 (328) and build from there. you will have more room for modding with the extra money saved on car choice as well as insurance. and the m52 will be a good engine to build on. also look at early model 325's (1992) they are a great engine to rebuild on.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

u can get a nice turbo kit made for u'r car that'll get u into the low 12's easy or high 11's if u can drive for $10k... So since you have the budget, you shouldn't be too worried.

You need to find a place that you trust to build the kit and do the modifications for you.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
SickFinga

If you want a fast car and have a 10k budget, dont bother with M3. Just do your Mustang. That what I would do.

P.S. I secretly want a Mustang with a roots blower or even better twinscrew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qleqpDhpI FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP
http://www.mustangmagicinc.com/videos/snakebiteII.mpg more fap fap fap
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
Manimillion
Photographer

There are quite a bit of mixed responses.

First of all I don't think I would sell my car to drive a 1992 325i, I am willing to take quite a hit on my car since it has almost everything possible done to the chassis/suspension to get the most out of handling.

I also want a car which I would like to build and keep thats why I'd rather have an M then a regular Bmw.

Sickfinga, I have so many go fast parts lying around at home for the Mustang, but I really couldn't get warmed up to this car, I seriously hate the way it feels when I drive it, thats why I want a more driver oriented car. And 10K is the mod budget I am planning on to have.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36obd2turbo.htm <<< 7700 and I can install it myself. then 1G for a flywheel/clutch ? thts pretty close to 10K, then over time I can get the brakes and the suspension work all sorted out. ?

How are the rear ends and transmissions in these cars? Do they hold up alot of power?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimillion
Sickfinga, I have so many go fast parts lying around at home for the Mustang, but I really couldn't get warmed up to this car, I seriously hate the way it feels when I drive it, thats why I want a more driver oriented car. And 10K is the mod budget I am planning on to have.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36obd2turbo.htm <<< 7700 and I can install it myself. then 1G for a flywheel/clutch ? thts pretty close to 10K, then over time I can get the brakes and the suspension work all sorted out. ?

How are the rear ends and transmissions in these cars? Do they hold up alot of power?

Going to be honest, Ive never driven a Mustang of that generation, but Ive driven a new Mustang GT automatic (rental).
I didnt like the interior(but hey, I drive a sunfire now more often and that thing has the ugliest, cheapest interior ive ever seen) and it had very limited view, but honestly, I had a smile on my face. It sounded so nice at WOT and it was constantly pulling.

About TT kit you are looking at. Ive never heard anything bad about TT kits, but if I was looking into turboing my car I would give ICS a call. Tell them about your budget and your goals.

Now about M3 drivetrain. You will have to get a flywheel/clutch for your car and the weakest point of the E36 is the rear subframe. Once you start modding your car, check if you have M3 reinforcement kit(i heard that not all m3 got those) and get AA differential support bracket. That should be enough for the TT kit you are looking at.

P.S. TT kit should get you in low 12s, not sure about 11s though.
P.P.S. twinscrew your mustang and forget the e36
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #11
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
There are quite a bit of mixed responses.

First of all I don't think I would sell my car to drive a 1992 325i, I am willing to take quite a hit on my car since it has almost everything possible done to the chassis/suspension to get the most out of handling.

I also want a car which I would like to build and keep thats why I'd rather have an M then a regular Bmw.

not saying you should buy one, but in terms of stock engines put into US E36's the 1992 M50 was the strongest by far. i have no idea what you plan to do with this turbo, run it on a stock engine or what.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #12
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
What is a good place to start to read on these issues?

I will be getting a new car this upcoming spring, but the goal is to have a low 12 sec, high 11second car, without going crazy out of budget. I can possibly spend 25G's USD on a car, and another 10G's on mods.
Based on your goal, i.e. high 11 second car, you might as well get 3.2L US Spec M3 engine. No need for a 328 or 325 engine as you're not pushing for max power and you'll still have the nice torquey feel from the 3L engine.

TechniqueTuning Stage II kit puts you over 400whp;a nice kit put together. The tuning is great, done by NickG, and I've yet to hear any major issues. Even a Stage I TT making about 350whp puts you close to low 12s.

Going back to SickFinga with ICS, I would go to them if my goal was to achieve over 500whp+. I'm sure they put together a great setup under 500whp as well but I've no idea how much they charge in comparison to TT's kits.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

How about a B5 S4.
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MsAniTy
How about a B5 S4.
"Say no to AWD"
Old 10-25-2006, 01:46 AM   #15
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Technique Tuning is an amazing company and they make an amazing turbo kit for the e36 m3. Their tuning is also very good!

Just make sure that when you go with so much power to have a good clutch and enough rubber touching the road.

Power is nothing without grip.

Even the TT stage 1 kit at 350rwhp will not be good with a stock e36 m3 clutch. The stock e36 m3 clutch will give way quickly.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: